“Nice, warm place and a fine breakfast”
Review of No.5 Bridge Street

No.5 Bridge Street
Ranked #51 of 207 Restaurants in Winchester
Price range: US$10 - US$20
Cuisines: British
Good for: Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: No.5 Bridge Street is a pub/bar & restaurant with rooms in Winchester City Centre. Open 7 days a week for breakfast, lunch & dinner. The restaurant's menu is seasonal & dishes are freshly prepared. The menu is of British influence, based around local, seasonal ingredients, with a superb selection of grazing sharing plates. The bar offers a substantial wine list, traditional cocktail menu, well-kept locally sourced beers & premium lagers.The British tapas 'grazing' items on the bar & restaurant menu are great to share amongst friends with a bottle of wine.No.5's beautiful stable offers private dining & meeting facilities for 16 people.
Winchester, United Kingdom
“Nice, warm place and a fine breakfast”
Reviewed 20 May 2012

I've been here for a couple of times for breakfast.
The Manager was very pleasant and helpful and even indulged my need for brown sauce. The breakfast was delicious. It is true that the portions are not enormous Wetherspoons sized (!) but the quality is excellent and I think portions are far too big in many restaurants now anyway. I felt very satisfied.
The coffee is from a local chap and is extremely good. Lovely tea. The atmosphere of the place is very warm and the decor is very, very pleasant. I have relatives staying in their rooms this week so shall report back.

1 Thank Sarahnurse16

winchester
“Bit of a hassle booking but really good quality food”
Reviewed 5 May 2012

Visited this week with friends for dinner. Not a smooth process booking, as e-mails were not responded to but in the end phoned and managed to get a reservation. Like the presentation and design of the place. Quite busy, and as restaurant area is quite small this meant for a lively atmosphere. Menu pretty much what you would expect. Bit disappointed that quite a few items were unavailable, however. Food quality was excellent and portion sizes whilst not large were more than adequate. Will certainly use again.

• Visited May 2012
Richard B, General Manager at No.5 Bridge Street, responded to this review, 12 May 2012
Thank you very much for your comments. We apologise that your email reservation was not picked and we have taken steps to ensure that this does not happen again. Thank you for visiting us here at No.5 Bridge Street and we hope that you will be returning soon.
Morzine, France
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Under whelmed....”
Reviewed 3 May 2012

Was really excited about trying out No5 after watching it come together. Went for bday drinks and ordered plates of cheeses and meats to go with our bottles of wine. Seriously mean portions, I had to beg for some bread which I was given after a pretty please.

Then went for my birthday lunch and really disappointed, MEAN MEAN portions for the price and very indifferent food, service was ok - a bit frosty. Basically go for a drink as bar nice area but forget about the food - waste of time.

1 Thank Fran23F
Richard B, General Manager at No.5 Bridge Street, responded to this review, 13 May 2012
Thank you very much for your comments. I am sorry you feel that the portion size of our No.5 Board is not value for money. We source all of our Charcuterie & Cheeses from Premium local suppliers/producers and unfortunately this does come at a cost. However this said we have spent the last few months in negotiations with our suppliers to bring down the costs and this saving will be passed on, in our new menu which is due this coming week. We have also been focusing our weekly training sessions on customer service to ensure we deliver the great service we pride ourselves on. I do hope that you we return and give us another try.
uk
“average food, poor portions, poor service”
Reviewed 28 April 2012

I love the style of this gastropub, and like the atmosphere for a drink but was very disappointed with the food and service.

The 'small plates' for starters were overpriced and decidely average. The main courses were better but again nothing to write home about ( unlike its sister establishment The White Horse in Otterbourne). The night we were there what appeared to be the restaurant manager and a waitress had an argument in the middle of the restaurant, not great for the diners.

Will I give it another go, probably, I like the bar, but its been a couple of months and i've not been back yet

• Visited January 2012
Thank you very much for your comments. I am sorry to hear about the poor service you received on you visit to us here at No.5 Bridge Street, the focus of our training since your visit in January has been on improving customer service. With regard to your comment about a member of staff and restaurant manager arguing, this is currently under investigation. However I do believe to be an incident involving a member of staff and someone not directly associated with our business, never the less I apologise as this has obviously had a detrimental effect on your evening. I do hope that you will return to give us the opportunity to redeem ourselves.
Southampton
“No 5 Bridge St, Winchester”
Reviewed 27 April 2012

We are The Ladies who Lunch in Hampshire, our review http://www.ladieswholunch-in-hampshire.co.uk/index.php/directory/147-winchester/410-no-5-bridge-st-bar-kitchen-a-rooms-2125.html

• Visited December 2011