“Beware - do not stay at the weekend if you wish to sleep”
Review of No.5 Bridge Street

No.5 Bridge Street
UK
“Beware - do not stay at the weekend if you wish to sleep”
Reviewed 16 November 2013

I have never been driven to write a review whilst still staying in a hotel. However I have been driven to pen this at midnight whilst still here because it is impossible to sleep.

I will firstly acknowledge that the quality of the accommodation is excellent. Our Room (3) was recently decorated and very comfortable. But it was impossible to enjoy because of the noise.

We returned to our room at 11:00am on a Saturday evening. The bar was busy and noisy. Our room upstairs was no less noisy. The volume of the music coming through the floor to our room was louder than I would play music at home! I went downstairs to complain and ask how long the music would last. The barman immediately referred me to the manager - it was clearly a common conversation! The manager apologised but said that there was nothing he could do and that they made every effort to warn customers about the noise on all booking sites. I have checked the exact wording on booking.com. Whilst there is reference to live music / DJ until 1:00am the words 'noise' or 'warning' do not appear.

Ultimately this establishment must decide whether it wants to be a hotel (or more accurately restaurant with rooms) or a nightclub. It is currently trying to be both and inevitably fails with disastrous results for overnight guests.

Such a shame........................

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dunpaddlin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Lagos, Nigeria
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Was a bit hesitant upon my arrival as I expected a "proper" hotel as booking.com didnt say anything about specialty lodging. Anyway was met by Helen who by the was is a precious gift to the place. Spent 2 nights there. Was warned about Friday night noise which ended around 11pm. The room was clean, spacious and all members of staff were friendly.
Having read other reviews, Food a bit pricey but food quality well my breakfast was really good..

Room Tip: I stayed in 105 I think we got an upgrade and I didn't want to leave the room even when I initia...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank shade481
United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Took my Mum and 2 kids for lunch, and was disappointed that it was so quiet, given it was half-term. I suspect that it is probably too expensive for a quick lunch with the kids which may explain the emptiness.
That said, the food was great, staff really polite and helpful and the menu was really unusual.
Tried the black pudding croquettes, fish fingers and the spring rolls for a mixed starter and they all went down a treat! I had a special which included an oxtail pudding with beef skirt - heavenly!
I could go on... really hope it is a success as the quality of food was superb!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 October 2013 via mobile

I have just returned from a very enjoyable lunch at No. 5 Bridge St. Myself, a friend and our 2 toddlers were made very welcome. We sat in the less formal bar area where there was plenty of room for highchairs (I asked - they have 3). The staff were wonderful and were able to amend my friend's meal as it is all cooked fresh. They were absolutely charming with our children who were very taken with them! The food was absolutely scrumptious, I can highly recommend the aubergine parmigiana and my friend's pulled pork burger was also delicious apparently. The food and drinks were extremely reasonable (equivalent to Bishop on the Bridge and far superior food in nicer surroundings). I will definitely return - apparently they are open for breakfast every day too and serve food all day at the weekend. Faultless.

Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 October 2013

We spent my husbands 40th birthday here with friends and booked five rooms.. Really great food and atmosphere, really close to the main town, rooms were lovely, staff great.. Although I must mention that they have a dj on a Saturday night until 1am which was perfect for us but not so great for quests wanting an early night... We are already planning our next night away at no5 Bridge Street..

Newcastle-under-Lyme, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Warm welcome on our arrival from the staff and owner. Good room, very clean and warm. Can't fault anything. Great location too, close to river walk, high street just a few minutes away. Would definitely stay again if return to Winchester.

Littlehampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 October 2013

We stopped in No.5 for a drink and a nibble...and ended up having a fantastic experience all round! The food was amazing (the black pudding croquettes and merlot mayonnaise are to die for...order at least two portions!!), the serviced was great, and the wine excellent! Couldn't have wished to find a better place for a relaxing drink and bite to eat...next visit to Winchester we will definitely be stopping here for dinner!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple