“Beautiful pub”

and 1 more site!
The Cricketers Inn
Ranked #14 of 52 Winchester B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 December 2013

The staff/owners failed to introduce themselves but were very polite and accommodating. The room was nice but freezing even with the heating on full! Beautiful period bay window which was so drafty! There was thick cobwebs around the ceiling and my friend had to get on the table to remove the dead spider for me but the rest was clean. Unfortunately we were in the twin room at the top of the stairs and the kitchen was at the bottom so it very noisey. The pub was heaving with punters which meant that it was extremely loud and there was no chance of an early night after a busy day. Our beds were either side of the covered fireplace in our room. The fireplace rattled all night due to the weather which kept us awake. We had dinner at the pub and could not converse over the table as we just could not hear each other over the noise. The food was average and there was a 'specials' board. Breakfast was great though. Good choice of food beautifully layed out and a 'full' English which was a grilled tomato, mushroom, one sausage, one egg and bacon. I would liked to have seen baked beans with it. The young man that has only been working there a week or so is clearly an asset to the Inn as he was polite, friendly, helpful and considerate. I would not stay overnight in the pub again but it was so charming and the staff were wonderful so I would happily drink there if I was in the area!

Room Tip: Avoid room number 1 as it is too close to the kitchen and the open entrance to the bar!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for The Cricketers Inn

Reviewed 15 December 2013

well what can I say, a perfect place for a relax Sunday lunch. We booked for my husband, myself my parents and my brother and his family, for my Mum's birthday. Everything was lovely, great big spacious table, very attentive service, and very tasty food. Nothing was any trouble, they were fine with doing smaller portions, even for adults, and were very accommodating making a starter into a meal for a child.
I would definitely eat there again, and would highly recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Stayed here last Saturday just for the one night, first class location, very friendly staff .
We found the room clean and very cosy, the bathroom was very spacious and also very clean.
Really appreciated the fact that the proprietor ( I didn't catch his name ) calmly accepted the fact that my wife broke the bathroom mirror , as just one of those things,
The menu on Saturday evening was varied , and the food quality very good. The full English on Sunday morning was very nice and I for one will definitely stay again whenever I`m in the area.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 November 2013 via mobile

We visited for a late lunch last Sunday, five of us plus dog. From the start to the finish, couldn't fault it. We loved the well kept real ale, the pub was lovely and warm, nicely decorated and with a cosy old feel without being tired or scruffy. The menu was full of pub standards, and a board for specials. Really reasonably priced for the area and standard, lots of home made stuff. Good portions. Oh how I hate it when you to a 'gastro pub' with trendy decor, that seves you food on a board, and limits your chips to ten presented in a little pot. If you're a pub, act like a pub and give the public well cooked and hopefully home made pub grub! Staff were brilliant too. Thinking of moving to Easton so we can go there more frequently.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Friendly welcome, nice rooms, in a nice village location,, didn't have a cooked breakfast but had everything else tea toast cereal, orange juice, no complaints. Plenty of parking. Would. Would recommend, spot on..

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Lovely traditional village pub which has not been spoilt. This is by no means a gastropub but the basis fayre on offer it appeared really good. The party I was with had fish & chips, lasagne & chips & Brie & Redcurrent Tart. The chips, fish, lasagne was very good indeed, however the Brie & Redcurrant was disappointing. Tasteless & sloppy.

The service received and beer on tap very good. Peroni on tap!!!

Nice place

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Located in a lovely village with thatched cottages, this pub/B&B is very comfortable. Stayed one night earlier this week. My room was large and had an en-suite shower. It had two single beds, a large wardrobe and dresser with tea and coffee making facilities. Clean, tidy and very safe. The food in the restaurant is good and the staff are very welcoming.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo