“Not really 4 star”

Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Winchester
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Not really 4 star”
Reviewed 4 August 2013

A hotel that sits at the back of a car park off the beaten track. They do have there own car park but its not big enough for their needs. If you can't get it then its £7 a day to park out front. We were lucky on the the 2 days we stayed but when busy ,cars were parked indiscriminately in disabled bays and double parked in no parking areas. Although all the parking is at the rear there is no rear access to the hotel so once parked you will have to carry everything back round the front. Our room 220 was a small dark and dingy room facing the rear of the hotel with little or no natural light so you needed all the room lights on all the time. Having booked dinner for a two night say I wasn't impressed. The rest manager offered to fillet the fish I ordered at the table but it was a disaster and I was so disappointed I left the whole meal.the next morning there wasn't enough hot water for a shower. (This was mentioned in a previous review). When I mentioned this at reception no one to offer any explanation. I thought the cooked break was nicely presented and good quality. I did use the leisure complex and although a little small the facilities or good. However the gents changing room is crying out for a spin drier for swimming costumes. Overall a little disappointing and not quite 4 star.

Room Tip: A high rise room 2nd or 3rd floor facing front not rear. Some rooms have sky lights and are nicer
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Stayed here with my husband for a 2 night break beginning of August. We wanted a relaxing break in a comfortable hotel. We booked a club room. Nice decor. First night we were kept awake by a constant tapping sound which drove us insane to the point I went down to reception at 2.30am and asked for another room - we worked out it was the aircon dripping down into the plumbing behind the wall. Unfortunately the only room left that night was one facing the back of the hotel (where all the extractor flumes are) and the aircon was out of order so we slept the remainder of the night in this stuffy small room. Duty manager was polite and tried his hardest to help. We were reallocated a new room for the 2nd night, no aircon problems thankfully. Booked dinner both nights but should have eaten out on the 2nd night as the town have some lovely restaurants not far away, plus they messed up my husbands main course so he ate his about 15 mins after I started mine.
Woke up Sunday morning (day of departure) at 07.15 by a coach parked in the car park with its engine running. It was loud!
Pros - helpful, friendly staff. Excellent breakfast. Comfortable beds.
Cons - Faulty aircon in our room.
Overlooks a council carpark/coach park which is really noisy.
Walls are thin, can hear our neighbours talking and they are not being particularly loud.
Dinner menu lacks imagination and we weren't the only couple to have an order screwed up.

I would say elements of this hotel are AA 4* - but it is really more 3*. A few nice furnishings does not make a hotel, there are many small details which need to be improved in our opinion.
We won't stay again.

• Stayed August 2013
Bridgnorth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2013

We recently stayed in this hotel for two nights. The room was spotless and spacious, having air con. and a fridge which we found really useful. The staff were courteous and efficient. The breakfast was very good and excellent value. There is limited parking (which we read about prior to booking), and the receptionist informed us about this upon arrival. We used the pool and spa which were good (and clean). The location was perfect for us, just a 10 minute walk into the city. We would certainly use this hotel again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Paul T
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2013

I have just recently completed a 4 night stay here whilst I was working for a local organisation. The hotel served my needs pretty well - nice sized room, ample lighting and facilities to work in the evenings, efficient shower and comfortable bed. There was also a large flat screen Samsung TV with a good selection of channels, as one would expect these days. I'm afraid I didn't have time to use the spa facilities but they appeared clean and tidy.

I only used the hotel for breakfast but it was fresh looking and the usual mix of cooked and continental. Very tasty. Service was as expected and the waiters and reception staff provided a positive experience.

Room Tip: Parking at the hotel is limited and when I drove back to the hotel each evening at around 6.00 I was...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank efqm
Stockport
Reviewed 2 August 2013

I have stayed at this hotel several times and on each occasion the staff have been extremely polite and helpful. The accommodation is excellent with plenty of very comfortable seating in the reception area. The breakfast is always superb with plenty of choice and the bar snacks excellent too. A big thank you to the young barman who served us on Tuesday 30th July for recommending certain dishes on the menu and bending over backwards to be helpful. As I use this hotel to visit family in the area I have yet to use the swimming pool but it looks extremely inviting.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Kettering, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2013

We recently stayed for a one night spa break as a treat for my wife as it was her ?? birthday (I'll get shot if I say how old but it was a significant one!). The room was excellent , clean and roomy with a good ensuite bathroom. We had Sunday lunch there with the family and it was fine - service a little slow but there were 11 of us. After a good nights rest my wife had two spar treatments while I enjoyed a swim in the pool. The pool is quite small but does have a current so you can swim against it. My wife said the spa treatments were first class. We both enjoyed our stay - my wife said it made her birthday a bit special.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wedge158
Cosham
Reviewed 2 August 2013

I booked a family room here back in April for a July wedding. I called in May to check I had booked a cot for the room and they had no record of my booking, albeit I was able to confirm who I had made the booking with, by now the family rooms were all gone but they rebooked a slightly cheaper double room along with a cot.
Given the earlier error I called again in June to double check all was ok - no record of the cot booking, but this was happily added.
Arrived 1 hour before I was due to leave for the wedding, so small son could be fed and watered only to find that you cant fit a cot in a double room and my parents had to give up their larger room in order for us to be accommodated - inept doesnt even cover it.
With the exception of the lady who checked us out on the morning of the 14th, the staff seemed disinterested at best and rude at worst - a real shame as this was a very nice hotel which deserves it's stars!
In all, my family should have had five rooms at this hotel, but another failed booking and a mysteriously cancelled room, meant only three rooms were available to us on the da, with other relatives having to find alternative accommodation last minute - a pretty dire experience all round!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family