“Wedding day”

The Winchester Hotel & spa
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Winchester
Reviewed 16 August 2013

What a day! Every member of staff, from initial meet, meetings leading up to the day, the big day and even after that big day, went above and beyond and really personalised the whole experience for us!

People have always said, "you will know the venue when you see it", to the point where the words kind of lost meaning, but I now know what they mean! We had spent a few months searching high and low for the right venue, then we came across The Winchester Hotel.

The moment we walked in there on a wedding fair day we were speechless with how well organised and friendly everyone was. The Hotel was very clean and the way they set up the venue looked perfect!

We spoke to Helen Taylor who is in charge of the weddings and events. We were made to feel welcome from the word go.

We had regular contact with Helen right from the start, even though we booked 2 years in advance! She kept us up to date with any changes at the hotel (since we booked the hotel gained a spa and a terrace, also the Malory Suite became the Crystal Room, all of which we were very pleased about). We had regular catch ups and each time we came armed with questions and ideas; Helen talked us through and helped us every step of the way, she even looked into and shared her experiences with all aspects of weddings such as contacts and ideas as to where to go for dresses, suits, flowers e.t.c, going above and beyond what you would expect. Nothing was ever too much trouble!

All of the staff were great. From the bar staff, reception staff, Fernando and his team were so friendly and efficient. We had so many great comments about the food and the size of the portions, very generous.

Our day was beautiful and exactly what we both wanted. The personal touch we received from this hotel was incredible. We felt special from start to finish and the only thing I am disappointed with is that is has all come to an end.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
PAE044, Manager at The Winchester Hotel & spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your FANTASTIC review of The Winchester Hotel and Spa.

What more could we ask for !

We pride ourselves on offering a dedicated Wedding service and are all over the moon that you shared your very special day with us.

There are newer reviews for The Winchester Hotel & spa

Reviewed 15 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 2 nights good all round hotel. Limited parking but we had no problems getting a space in hotel car park. Excellent rooms and food. Lovely spa facilities free for hotel guests. A good all round hotel worth its 4 stars.

• Stayed: August 2013
PAE044, General Manager at The Winchester Hotel & spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your EXCELLENT review of The Winchester Hotel and Spa.

We always aim to deliver warm, friendly, prompt and professional service and we are all delighted that you enjoyed your stay so much.

We hope to be able to welcome you to the hotel again very soon.

Reviewed 14 August 2013

The photo makes this look like a soulless, corporate hotel. It isn't. I stayed here with a friend for the Sunday supper deal and had a fantastic time. We stayed in room 5, a twin right opposite the health suite. The beds were much springier than we're used to but we didn't mind that. We used the health suite including jacuzzi etc which were on the small side but well equipped and nicely presented. Dinner was fabulous, we both loved everything and thought the ambience of the restaurant and bar hit just the right note of relaxed elegance. Breakfast was a buffet of peerless variation and good quality. Staff were excellent, without exception.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your GREAT review of The Winchester Hotel and Spa.

We would always encourage customers to view the facilities and photography of the hotel on our own website ... and also the wide range of specially priced breaks we feature on there.

We are all delighted that you enjoyed your stay so much, and hope to be able to welcome you to the hotel again very soon.

Reviewed 14 August 2013

Stayed here on a coach break the room we had was very good clean tidy well maintained the hotel though has a cold atmosphere hotel staff failed to bond with guests it’s not what I would call a welcoming hotel
We stayed at the Winchester from the 14th to 18th July with a coach party from the Fylde coast area.
On the first evening during dinner the waiter whilst serving across the uneven table that rocked he served across the table rather from behind, in doing so he caught my glass of beer resulting in me getting a lot of the spillage going over me.
Apologies were offered and my beer was replaced and I was told if I handed my clothes in to reception, they would be sent to their laundry and laundered, a wedge was replaced under the wobbly table.
On the following morning 17th July I handed my shorts into reception I was informed they would be back the following morning.
At dinner that evening the waiter whilst serving me spilled my desert over me, in disgust I left the dining room and sat outside whilst my wife finished her meal.
On leaving the dining room my wife and I went to reception to make a complaint, whilst asking the receptionist about making a formal complaint and to see the Hotel manager. A lady behind the reception intervened, informing us that the General Manager was off until the following week but she would deal with it.
I explained what had happened and that I had only brought two pair of dress shorts and had no others to wear. She said that those that had been handed that morning would most likely be back before we went out on our coach tour at 9-30 the following day, if I ensured the clothes that I had just had spillage on me were left at reception they would be sent to the laundry and be back the following evening.
I was not on the whole reassured with her, I said in that as no manager was available could she provide me with the address of the head office, as I was going to write and complain to them. She then said there was no head office as the hotel was run independently (which I later found was not true).
We went to our hotel room and I changed my wife handed in the laundry to reception at around 8-00pm.
The following morning we asked at reception about the shorts from the first accident but were told the laundry had not come back yet.
When we returned to the hotel around 4-00pm we asked at reception again about the laundry only to be told it would now be after 5-00pm.
I eventually got my laundry at 6-25, when I asked about the second lot of laundry I was informed that the receptionist had failed to send it that morning to the laundry
To say I was not happy is an understatement.
I met again with management about my concerns; one of the staff then offered to do my laundry herself or if I did not want her to then my wife could go to the laundry and do them herself we were offered a free drink which we declined.
The white collar worker who offered to do my laundry this could have been outside her capabilities, I wanted my laundry done professionally not by a clerk, then by even suggesting that my wife could do my laundry was insulting she had not come away to do my laundry.
Both these offers were declined as we realised the way these issues had been handled bordered on farce.
I brought up with restaurant manager as to how meals were being served, in that meals were being served across the table as well tables were being cleared whilst other guests on the table were still dining, it was a very hap hazard manner, I suggested that training was needed he said he would take note and see for himself.
That evening back at our room we reflected on what had happened, my wife and I felt we had no confidence in the present management and were not prepared to risk having anymore evening meals at the hotel, due to the high risk of having spillage over one of us, so we dined out thereafter for our evening meals we did however have breakfast at your hotel (which was self service) without any issues.

Our five day break was ruined on returning home I wrote to the general manager and he made good for the losses we incurred however the break had been ruined no goodwill payment was forthcoming just the expenses we had incurred
I would not advise anyone to stay here they have staff who cannot serve meals to a satisfactory standard
As well as reception staff who are a complete waste of space as they failed to send away my laundry and due to the hot weather I had no shorts to wear

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dragfoot

Dear Mr. Holt

I have to confess to being absolutely perplexed not only by your review but also by the way you have chosen to view your whole experience of the hotel.

You describe the hotel to be cold and lacking in standards of service BUT the organiser of your group Mr. Swann wrote to me following your stay to say "over the last few days we have recieved many positive comments from our customers who really did enjoy their stay. Could you please pass on our thanks to the excellent team of staff who work really hard to provide a 2nd to none customer service - well done and thank you to all". This seems to be completely at odds with your views.

We were also surprised to find that you alone should have 2 different things spilled on you over 2 consecutive nights at dinner - but irrespective not only did we arrange for your shorts to be dry cleaned but also tried to expedite matters when our Revenue Manager Helen offered to personally wash, dry, iron and deliver your shorts overnight in her own time to serve you as a guest. You would not allow this as she was only - in your own words "a clerk".

I am also surprised at your comments regarding compensation as when we offered you a goodwill gesture following your letter to me - again because we take customer service so very seriously - you wrote back to me in our final correspondence to say `thank you` and that this was `appreciated` - but you have now criticised the hotel for this also !

I can only assume that none of the team were ever going to be able to meet your standards despite all our best efforts and in contradiction to so many positive comments from your fellow travellers.

Reviewed 14 August 2013

Our registration was a tad difficult (initially) but Helen Murphy kindly sorted out the payment issues; meanwhile we did book a family room via the website, only to be told they don't have family rooms and we were given adjoining rooms which worked out fine.

Complimentary car parking as others have said, isn't exactly what you get unless you arrive early, and don't need your car. One afternoon, I chose to do what I had to do locally in a taxi, rather than loose my spot behind the hotel! Telling guests that if there's not a spot, you can park for free between 6pm and 8am in the council car park just doesn't appeal as one has to get up and move the car (if indeed you can get a complimentary spot) before breakfast.

The breakfasts are presented well and in a lovely surroundings. The weather was great during our stay and we enjoyed breakfast and one dinner on the terrace (no longer overlooking the council car park thanks to funky new screens)

There are so few places open early for breakfast, that this is one place that is and serves a nice one.

The Spa is lovely - I've enjoyed a few treatments there, but it's a shame (tho understandable) that the pool is off limits to children under 13. My daughter looked dreamily at the pool for the duration of our stay. Even if the pool was open to children of guests between certain hours would be better than not at all.

The location of the hotel is terrific in terms of Winchester, tho one has to ask, what came first the hotel or the councii car park?

I'd happily recommend the Winchester Hotel for a short stay

Room Tip: Be on the higher floors, at the back
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank aussiemama

Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your review of The Winchester Hotel and Spa.

I am delighted that you were able to park your car on the hotel car park for the whole duration of your stay, and that we were able to accomodate your family in two interconnecting rooms which hopefully afforded you lots of flexible space to enjoy.

Equally I am delighted that you liked our BRAND NEW screened terrace for outdoor lounging and al fresco dining - of which we are very proud !

I do note that your daughter wanted to use our pool (linked to our luxury Spa) during your stay but as is widely advertised this is an adults only facility. I am also delighted that you enjoyed your Spa treatments ... and hope that you will return for even more relaxation in the future!

Reviewed 13 August 2013

I was fortunate to get a car park spot rather than pay the £7 to park overnight in front of the hotel. The hotel park was full, and I was lucky that one was leaving as I arrived.

The rooms were clean and quiet despite being over the front door on the council car park side. The free bottle of water in the fridge was a nice and welcome touch. Air con was effective and quiet. Staff friendly and Spa more a gesture than anything serious.

The Restaurant was very , very good. The waiters enthusiastic and efficient and knew the details of the menu well. The Evening Meal was a highlight of our visit and all four of our party were complimentary of both Chef and waiting staff. It wasnt cheap, but it was memorable and therefore value for money. Breakfast was also good.

I would gladly stay at this hotel on another day. Winchester centre was an 8min walk.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your FABULOUS review of The Winchester Hotel and Spa.

We view our Brasserie as one of our `jewels in the Crown` and am delighted that this was a highlight of your stay.

We hope to be able to welcome you to the hotel again very soon.

Reviewed 12 August 2013

We stayed here in August and took advantage of their Sunday night spa package. Clean room, lots of space and a nice bathroom. The receptionist was very helpful, allowing us into our rooms before he official check in time, and once he called us a taxi, chased it up without prompting from us. Great buffet breakfast.

A part of the package we got a free spa treatment each (back and shoulder massage) which was top quality and then free use of the health club attached and a late checkout (3pm). We would have paid the same money just for a massage back in London! I was very impressed with this hotel and would not hesitate to recommend it to our friends. We will be back here in the future.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jonathan P

Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your GREAT review of The Winchester Hotel and Spa.

The team will be thrilled and we all hope to be able to welcome you to the hotel again very soon.