“Excellent Stay”

Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Winchester
Sittingbourne, United Kingdom
“Excellent Stay”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed using their £99 Sunday offer which included a 3 course evening meal and bottle of wine and full English breakfast next morning.
As It was our anniversary, we got upgraded to a club room and a bottle of wine in the bedroom.
Cannot fault any aspect of our visit, the staff were very nice and helpful, the food excellent and the Spa and swimming pool facilities were brilliant! The actual ambiance of the hotel was just right with a very nice terrace too. Free Wifi also.
We thoroughly recommend this hotel, central location and fantastic value!

Room Tip: Ask for a Club room nice comfy bed and room at back of hotel. Also, use the council car park at fron...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
PAE044, General Manager at The Winchester Hotel & spa, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your GREAT review of the hotel.

We are all delighted that you enjoyed your stay and hope to be able to welcome you back again very soon.

Paul Eaves General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
  • Polish first
Bridport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I booked the hotel as my partner is doing his basic training close by, the hotel gives me the chance to stay for the weekend and see him Saturday and Sunday. Due to problems I wasn't able to see him on the Saturday as originally planned however the hotel offered the chance to use their spa. When I arrived I didn't expect much with the car park being full of coaches, however when I arrived through the doors I was impressed with interior, the place was clean and decorated wonderfully.
It was a bit of a nightmare following the stairs all the way to the third floor, I found that I was walking down a lot of hallways just to get to the next set of stairs, however the room made up for this. It was decorated in warm colours and the bed was so comfy unlike the Royal Winchester. The shower was a little annoying as the temperature kept changing on me and the WIFI didn't work very well from the 3rd floor. Apart from a few minor things the staff were very polite and friendly, willing to help with any problem or enquiry, I'd defiently recommend staying!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your GREAT review of the hotel.

York
Reviewed 4 August 2014

It appears that our experience was let down by some very poor service. On arrival, slightly early, we were not made to feel welcome and told to go into the city until 2pm! Not something we expected after a long journey from Leeds. The receptionist didn't know where to send us in town or even following this where the tourist information centre was! When we got back at the correct time we were not informed how to get to our room and just left to try and find it! We tried to book into the brasserie for dinner but were informed that a big coach trip had booked at 7pm and so we would have to wait until 8.30pm and hope they had finished by then. Not surprisingly, we went out and had a lovely meal in town instead at chesil rectory! The pool was OK and relaxing but the sauna is a health and safety nightmare! The seats have basically fallen apart in the heat and therefore without a towel in there would splinter your costume or even worse your skin which is what happened to me. Breakfast was a 'help yourself' affair and very poor service with tea not arriving at all that I ordered and food being poor as it had all become conjealed under the heat lamps. On our way back to the rooms we met the only friendly staff in this hotel being the 2 lovely cleaning ladies who stopped to say good morning and how the weather was etc. On checking out we left the customer care feedback to which we have, not surprisingly, heard nothing! Checking out the reception man this time was busy moaning on the phone about a customer having a go at him about something to serve us efficiently! Then you have to pay £10 nearly for the pleasure of parking your car in this hotel car park. Nobody bothered to even ask us how our stay had been, if so we could have told them. Altogether we are very unimpressed but it is a shame as the hotel itself should be very good. I would suggest the hotel puts its cleaning staff on reception!!!!!! If not, give your staff some training in customer service. They are letting this hotel down.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review of the hotel.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us but certainly do not recognise this hotel from your description.

Whilst we always try to check guests in as early as possible we are only able to do this where it is physically possible. We are however always happy to store guests luggage and to offer them advice on the sights of the City (or they can of course wait at the hotel in our comfortable bar and terrace areas) until their bedroom is ready.

Equally I am afraid that I do not understand your comments concerning our Sauna, which is not only regularly checked by our Health Club team and also regularly serviced by our professional support Company - but in consideration of your comments has also been checked by me again personally. As a result I respectfully disagree with your description of this facility.

I am sorry that we failed to exceed your expectations in so many areas during your stay with us.

Epping, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2014

You arrive at this hotel and you wonder what to expect as the front is basically in a public coach and car park.

But once through the doors there is a lovely ambience and the rooms are clean and of a high standard.

Nice bar with a veranda and friendly staff although I felt the welcome was a little flat!

The real problem is the service in the Reataurant although friendly lacks attention!

During dinner we sat for ages with dirty plates in front of us and eventually had to request for them to be removed.

This sadly was carried on through during breakfast. We requested a table outside on the veranda this request was turned down not because the tables were full of people but because they full dirty plates, nobody had bothered to clear the tables.

During our breakfast glasses, cereal bowls, side plates along with breakfast plates continued to pile up on our table with no attempt to remove them.

The quality of breakfast was poor really heavily reliant on heat lamps to keep things warm which left hard eggs which in this day and age is a waste.

While we had to request certain items to be replenished as they had run out!

This hotel is very good in many aspects and is in a nice position to get to the heart of Winchester but is sadly let down by poor staff training and arguably standard of food.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank John A
PAE044, General Manager at The Winchester Hotel & spa, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of the hotel.

Whilst I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay overall I am sorry to learn that the service in our Brasserie did not exceed your expectations on this occasion.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Booked into this hotel by another for Business. A decent choice I think. Nicely furnished modern rooms, clean and well equipped. Also pretty quiet, I had a good nights sleep. Receptions staff friendly and helpful. Prices, i think quite reasonable although this time I wasn't paying. I would certainly stay here again if visiting Winchester.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your lovely review of The Winchester Hotel and Spa.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and hope to be able to welcome you back to the hotel very soon.

Shanghai, China
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Sadly this hotel lacks a friendly touch. For the most part staff are stand offish and if an issue is raised they do not respond as one would expect. They stand by their opinion. Arriving with 4 cases we asked if room was easy to get to and were told just to the left when we got out of the lift. It was in fact along a couple of corridors and down a set of stairs! They seem unwilling to help out in any way.
Also rooms a bit drab and in need of brightening up. Although I have to say very clean reasonably comfortable apart from pillows which really need replaced.
Found it strange when we ate in the restaurant that we were asked to pay. We were told we hadn't been approved for putting it on the room bill despite having had room service on a couple of occasions. When we questioned this instead of sorting it they said it had been a mistake and our orders should have been declined. Typical of the attitude of staff.
Breakfast is good and has a nice choice but staff for the most part not really welcoming.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review of the hotel.

Whilst I do not recognise the hotel or its team from your description I am sorry that you felt this way following your visit.

A recurring theme throughout the guest feedback we receive - whether online such as yours or direct to the hotel - is that our team are extremely friendly and welcoming. I cannot think why they would not have been the case with you specifically.

I will of course review this with my colleagues however and thank you for your feedback.

Chorley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014

fabulous hotle , wonderful rooms great breakfast alll you could ask for and more.
unfortunate the manager had to deal with some one who was inconsiderate and loud moaning about having only one bottle of water at midnight.
stirling job by all
thankyou for a lovely stay

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
PAE044, General Manager at The Winchester Hotel & spa, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your FABULOUS review of The Winchester Hotel and Spa.

We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us again very soon.