“Lovely hotel.”

The Winchester Hotel & spa
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Winchester
“Lovely hotel.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

Disappointed that they charge you to stay in the hotel car park,would except it from a budget hotel not a 5* hotel, we stayed there the same time last year and there was not charges them.. I feel the car park should be free after all people are spending money in the hotel... very disappointed.

• Stayed August 2014
PAE044, General Manager at The Winchester Hotel & spa, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review of The Winchester Hotel and Spa.

I am sorry that you were disappointed by our parking charges.

We do however feel that these are very reasonable - for example a customer choosing to park with us from a typical arrival time of 2.00pm on the day until the latest check out time the following morning (including the whole overnight period) would be charged £8.40 for those 21 hours (so only 40 pence per hour).

Equally from 6.00pm on Saturday until 8.00am on Monday morning our parking is only charged at 15 pence per hour so that same parking period on a Sunday afternoon running into Monday morning would be a nominal £5.70 for 21 hours.

There is of course lots of alternative parking in the area should customers not wish to use the hotels car park and this is by no means mandatory.

However despite our parking charges I am delighted that you found the hotel to be lovely and we do hope to be able to welcome back again very soon.

Paul Eaves General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (345)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

I stayed here for around 2 months with work. The hotel itself is really nice, staff friendly and the food was excellent (only downside was that the gym is tiny). If I was staying here for a weekend break I probably would have given it 5* but a few improvements are needed for its business customers;
1. Breakfast is slow. I was always waiting to get a table. Not a problem if you have loads of time but I just wanted to get something quick and head to work. There was also no healthy options on the take away option.
2. Dry cleaning was supposed to be same day but on 2 occasions it came back the following day - leaving me nothing clean to wear for work (not good!!!). A small point but I always had to ring reception to see if it had come back rather than it being dropped off to my room - which most business hotels do. I know this is extremely picky but thought I would point it out
3. I stayed here for 2 months 4 night a week, always got checked in by the same people and yet they STILL didn't know my name.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Doplas
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of The Winchester Hotel and Spa.

Whilst I am delighted at your comments concerning our staff and food, and indeed the hotel in general - I am very sorry to learn that you did not feel that we recognised you as a regular guest and I have addressed this with our Front Desk team. Equally I would like to thank you for your comments concerning our Dry Cleaning and we have changed the way in which we approach this with immediate effect.

We would very much have welcomed any feedback on your frustrations whilst you were actually staying with us in order that we could have taken immediate action - but please do be aware that your comments have now been listened to and acted upon.

Bedford, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

Just returned from a two night break at The Winchester. Had a fantastic, relaxing time. The food was great and staff so friendly and welcoming. The rooms were clean and spacious. Would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
PAE044, General Manager at The Winchester Hotel & spa, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your FANTASTIC review of the hotel.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again very soon.

Stockton on Tees
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

Stayed one night 2 August 2013. Booked package including breakfast and 3 course dinner and wine. Excellent value for money. From checking in to leaving, all members of staff were efficient, professional and polite.The restaurant service and food was fabulous. Choice on the menu was good, and the presentation and deivery of food was superb. I visited the spa for a massage and a pedicure. I put my shoes on when the nails were not quite dry. went back the nect day for a touch up which was free of charge. The staff could not do enough for you. the room was modern, bed comfortable, all immaculately clean as was the bathroom. My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will definitely return to this hotel. Location was also easy to find, and just round the corner from the town centre.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your GREAT review of the hotel.

We are all delighted that you enjoyed your stay and hope to be able to welcome you back again very soon.

England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

Booked a one night stopover through Late Rooms and got a very good deal. Based on the price I paid this hotel was excellent - modern, very comfortable bedroom and quite close to the historic centre of Winchester.
The breakfast was included in the deal, which is a good job because it wasn't really up to scratch - hot food from a buffet not as good as a Premier Inn.
Overall however we were very happy and would return if we could get a similar deal.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank BritEngland
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your review of the hotel following your recent review with us.

I have to confess to being a little surprised that you felt our Breakfast offering could be improved as this is often cited as one of the highlights of our service to guests but In consideration of your enjoyment of the hotel overall I do very much hope that you will choose to stay with us again when next in the Winchester area.

Kent, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

I was fairly anxious about this hotel given the mixed reviews, but was incredibly pleasantly surprised. We visited for a hen spa weekend and really enjoyed our stay. The hotel is well cared for and staff were all pleasant and helpful. The biggest surprise was the restaurant - the food was incredible! And our package proved to be incredibly good value. I have to say the only thing that was mediocre was the spa aspect, the treatment wasn't the best and I felt it was shorter than expected - but then again I didn't have a stop watch!
I would definitely return just for a food and location of the hotel - both of which were top notch!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your recent review of the hotel.

I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to see you again very soon.

Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

Stayed here for one night in July and we loved the hotel. Room was clean and bed was very comfortable. Staff was friendly and professional. Our breakfast experience started the day off perfectly, from the warm and friendly hostess, to the amazing food - we loved everything! Overall, very pleased with our stay and would highly recommend the Winchester Hotel.

Tip to the management - the parking isn't included in the hotel price (which we knew about beforehand) and should be since most people would drive there.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your GREAT review of the hotel.