“Wonderful B&B”
Review of Magdalen House B&B

Magdalen House B&B
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Winchester
Magdalen House B&B
Ranked #9 of 52 Winchester B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We stayed here for two nights when visiting Winchester for a wedding. The location was central, the room lovely and comprehensively furnished and we had the best night's sleep we'd had in a very long time! Our host, Liz, was very hospitable and friendly and she made us feel welcome from the minute we arrived. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Liz L, Owner at Magdalen House B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2015

Thank you for your positive review. I'd also like to wish everyone who has taken the time to post comments a Happy New Year for 2015

Reviewed 4 June 2014

Magdalen House was my first stop on a 6-week tour of England and I could not have made a better choice. I stayed with Liz for 5 days and she was welcoming, helpful, well-organized, and a great cook. She even showed me how to use my newly-purchased cell phone. I stayed in a spacious room that opens onto a back garden. Even though the B 'n B is very central (I could walk everywhere I wanted to go) and on a busy road, my room was quiet and peaceful. This is a great spot for visiting Wincheter and the surrounding area!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Deanne M

Thank you for your positive review. I hope your whole trip went smoothly. I'd also like to wish everyone who has taken the time to post comments a Happy New Year for 2015

Reviewed 30 May 2014

We have just returned from a couple of nights in Magdalen House and can thoroughly endorse all the positive comments. Our party consisted of my brother and myself (60 somethings) and our Mum of 95years. We had the 2 bedroomed wing sharing a shower room which was ideal. The shower room fronts the busy road but our bedrooms were at the back overlooking the city and they were quiet and dark as the windows had venetian blinds and curtains! There is another completely separate double bedroom with its own en suite so flexibility is possible depending on your party, I chose the venue with Mum in mind as it was possible to leave our cars and easily walk into town and also sample the excellent restaurant named Chesil Rectory a 5 minute walk down the hill (we went before 7pm when you are offered the 2 course for £16 or 3 course for £20 ) If you are with an elderly person with poor eyesight though it is very atmospheric (ie low lighting!) and if you have to eat upstairs the winding stairs are a challenge too! But the food was excellent both evenings.

Back to Magdalen House- Liz is a great hostess and makes you feel very welcome, nothing is too much trouble. Breakfast is shared round the communal table upstairs in the kitchen. Mum and I had the light breakfast, all you could want, a whole cafetiere of delicious organic coffee which made it for me. My brother had cooked both times for an extra £5 but her rates are very reasonable and having the choice is a good idea.
Winchester is an excellent place to shop, a lot of it pedestrianised and very helpful shop keepers everywhere we went.
We went to an organ recital at the Cathedral which we enjoyed but were disappointed with the Cathedral Refectory for Lunch beforehand but it was Bank Holiday Monday and I think they were overwhelmed with the numbers on a drizzly day and it could have been Chef's day off!
But this review is supposed to be about Magdalen House for which we all voted 10 out of 10. Thank you again Liz for going that extra mile.

Room Tip: The 2 bedroomed wing is ideal for a family/ friends get together if you are happy to share a shower...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Colinetta

Thank you for your positive and comprehensive review. I'd also like to wish everyone who has taken the time to post comments a Happy New Year for 2015

Reviewed 24 May 2014

My friend and I have just returned from a one night stay at Magdalen House as we were having a ladies day out in Winchester. The rooms that we stayed in were of a very high standard and spotlessly clean (we stayed in the double and the twin with shared bathroom) with very comfortable beds and wonderful views over the city to the Cathedral. Liz is very genial host and knows all there is to know about Winchester. She was able to give us good advice about where to visit and where to eat etc. Magdalen House is only ten minutes maximum walk from the High Street so very conveniently placed. We sadly weren't blessed with wonderful weather but enjoyed visiting the cathedral and especially attending Choral evensong. We would certainly visit Winchester again and would certainly stay at Magdalen House again if we could.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 15 May 2014

During a 2 night stay in Winchester we occupied a self contained wing comprising 2 bedrooms – one double and one with twin single beds - and a private bathroom.

Both bedrooms were large, bright and airy, and the double had an extremely comfortable metal framed double bed. There are flat panel televisions and tea and coffee making facilities in the rooms, plus a few biscuits in a small box. There were also hot water bottles in a drawer should anyone feel cold. However feeling cold there is highly unlikely as the heating was put on quite early and everywhere always felt warm. In fact the duvets on the bed were so thick that they were too warm for the average Spring weather that weekend.

The rooms were extremely quiet, which is always a major plus in my opinion, as they were on the side of the building away from the road, and had good views across the rooftops to the Cathedral and central Winchester.

Magdalen House is only a 5 minute or so walk from central Winchester. There’s parking on site for 2 or 3 cars.

Breakfast is served upstairs in the large, bright and airy kitchen, again with a good view over Winchester. There’s a choice of Continental, with a good range of cereals, juice, toast, jams and marmalades, or a cooked English breakfast – which while not sampled, looked good, and makes use of free range and organic produce, which is excellent. And the coffee is pleasingly strong.

The bathroom is large and clean. The show head is an overhead raindrop type, but unfortunately is gravity fed so has only a fine spray and little water pressure. So it takes a while to get wet and then to rinse off soap. I would imagine making the shower power assisted maybe could reduce the water bill, and bill to heat the water, as showering would be a much quicker process.

Liz, the owner is absolutely great. She’s charming, engaging, chatty and full of information about Winchester. She takes a genuine interest in what her guests are doing / exploring in the area. If you need any local information, if Liz doesn’t already know the answer to a query she will grab her I-Pad and find it for you.

A really comfortable place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your positive review. I note your comments about the shower and am still trying to work out a solution! I'd also like to wish everyone who has taken the time to post comments a Happy New Year for 2015

Reviewed 14 May 2014

We stayed here a few months ago after reading the reviews on here and can confirm that its all true.Liz was a fantastic host and made us more than welcome.The room was spotless,comfortable,quiet and ideally placed for walking into town.If we ever come down this way again for a weekend we will be looking to book here again for sure

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 3 May 2014

Thoroughly deserved No.1. B & B in Winchester, we stayed in the garden room, the beds(Twin) were so comfy with good quality bed linen, spotlessly clean spacious room etc.the extra touches in our room were greatly appreciated, magazines, bathrobes, biscuits, water, choice of teas and coffee, not forgetting the fluffy water bottle, which we didn't need. Liz is so accommodating, we were arriving late, as was my son who stayed in the other Garden room, that night Liz was going out with friends for a meal and told us where she would be just down the road at the restaurant and who ever arrived first just pop in and she would give us the key. Breakfast was delicious, so much choice. It's only a short walk into town on our last day Liz even offered that we could leave the car there until were we ready to leave late afternoon. Definitely five star accommodation

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family