“Attentive staff, very nice wines and food”
Review of Chesil Rectory

Chesil Rectory
Reserve with OpenTable
Chesil Rectory is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 203 Restaurants in Winchester
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: The Chesil Rectory is a unique and historic restaurant located in Winchester which occupies a 600 year old grade II listed Medieval house of exceptional character and charm. Independently owned since 2008 by a small group of friends who share a passion for food and wine, the Chesil Rectory offers a modern British menu featuring simple, classic, seasonal dishes and an abundance of fresh local produce.
The Villages, Florida
“Attentive staff, very nice wines and food”
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

Went with friends to celebrate a birthday. The menu always has some very interesting items and did not disappoint. This is a great place for a long, liesurely meal. Would not recommend bringing children. Be sure to prepare for a bit higher bill but I was more than happy to pay for the extra level of effort put into the food!

“An overpriced disappointment!”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We went here for dinner having heard great things about it for years. Unfortunately, in my opinion this place seems to be trading off its historical reputation. If you are happy to pay a lot for presentation then this is the place for you but in my opinion the menu was unexceptional, the portion sizes meagre (why scrimp on a few vegetables?) and the wine prices very high (well over £20 for a bottle of £5 supermarket wine). We had an early sitting and the staff were obviously clock-watching throughout to make sure we were ousted in good time. I would have expected a lot better!

• Visited March 2014
England
“Good, Central, Characterful Restaurant.”
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

We came here today (Sunday) for a family lunch, having made a late reservation.
There has been a restaurant in this Medieval building for at least 50 years, and always one of the better ones in town.
It still is!
We were charmingly greeted and shown to our table.
It was upstairs, which in most restaurants we would prefer to avoid, but here the room has a great ambiance, with many exposed timbers, and tables in niches. It was busy, and had a nice atmosphere.
Starters were good (asparagus & scorched mackerel), mains also good (roast lamb, and beef), and I am told puddings likewise!
Service throughout was friendly but professional.

The total bill for five, including a bottle of Prosecco, and 2 x 500 carafes of Malbec (delicious!) with coffees was £203.15.
Excellent value!
A note for those in a hurry - the kitchen is small, and food is freshly cooked, so allow plenty of time.
We will return!

Visited June 2014
“very good meal”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

the chesil rectory is my favourite restaurant in my home town winchester, any time i have an excuse to pull my family down to it i will. The food is exceptional, all the dishes are different and extremely sessional. I could not fault any off the dishes, for main i order the chicken (something i do not do often as it can be dry and boring), however it was extremely good and the presentation was wonderful. It is the best "a la carte" restaurant i have ever been to in the UK and i think for the quality of the food it is under priced. However if i am going to pick fault with the restaurant, my coffee at the end of the meal was thin and average, but the main problem with the chesil rectory is it is boiling in there both in winter and summer. I think it is the only reason it has not achieved a michilline star. However the food is so fantastic and the building is beautiful that i will keep coming back.

• Visited June 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

We had high expectations from personal recommendations from where we were staying, on our brief visit to Winchester, and also from your excellent site. However whilst the staff were excellent, the food was overpriced and also my steak had absolutely no flavour and was chewy, although it had been cooked to my specification ie medium rare. My husband's hake was also cooked well, ie not overcooked, but it was not very flavourful and overall it was not an impressive meal. I think the wines are overpriced as well. We did not complain at the time as it was a special evening for us and we didn't want to spoil the atmosphere.