“A great pub, and good food.”
Review of Wykeham Arms

Wykeham Arms
Ranked #25 of 208 Restaurants in Winchester
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Steeped in charm and nominated Hampshire dining pub of the year, The Wykeham Arms is moments from the glorious Winchester Cathedral. A modern British menu filled with locally sourced ingredients, is complemented by an extensive wine list and choice of 5 ales on tap. A cosy log fire in the main dining area enhances the relaxed atmosphere of The Wykeham Arms.
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Try the pub first, full of character and charm, the beer is well kept and wine list huge. We ate as a group of 10 and even though we had to pre-order 3 days before the main courses were wrong and didn't have everything as requested. Service was good and we all had an enjoyable time but expect to pay £50 a head for 3 courses with wine!

There are newer reviews for Wykeham Arms

Reviewed 27 January 2014

I had fond memories of this pub having lived in the Winchester area for the last 10 years. It's a great pub for a drink and use to be good for food. It was always a cut above the rest of the pubs in Winchester but it seems they have taken it a little too far. Although the fish we had was well cooked there was very little of it, and I have to agree with Ed B about all the smears and the roof tiles which seems to have been lifted from an episode of Master Chef. I was feeding some Italian suppliers who loved the pub, but we're left hungry after such small portions, and two of them were women! I was also gob-smacked by the prices. Starters at £8-10, mains at £20-28 (with sides extra!) and puds at £8/10. It was a good job we didn't have wine. I shan't dine again, but the pub for a drink is a must.

Reviewed 22 January 2014

We've been to the Wykeham Arms a couple of times now, and its a difficult place to judge.

For my last visit, an excellent starter of pigeon was followed by a mediocre and under-seasoned steak. The "fine dining" style which consists of small portions of various smears served on roof tiles is OK if you are cooking to a very high level, but if you don't pull it off, as has happened with about half the dishes we have been served, then you may find yourself underwhelmed and hungry.

The service has been very good both times we've visited, friendly and helpful.

My other two gripes are firstly that the whole place feels very contrived - on the face of it, it seems to be rather charming, with mismatching plates on the tables, until you realise every table has exactly the same mismatching plates - they didn't just happen to come out of the dishwasher in that order. I know it may seem like an odd comment, but its the sort of place that's trying very hard to make it look like they are not trying hard - i.e not very genuine.

The big problem however is the price. You can eat at the Black Rat for the same price, which is a considerably higher standard.

In summary, capable of excellent food, but frustratingly inconsistent and expensive.

1  Thank Ed B
Reviewed 19 January 2014

We met up with a old friend for a Sunday lunch which we had made a reservation for. The waitress was friendly and helpful dispute are dithering over ordering.

The beer was good and we ordered a nice bottle of Pinot Noir which was very nice. None of us had a starter. The main course I and my friend had was the roast beef, it was very good and render, the Yorkshire puddings were good and the roast potatoes were gorgeous. My wife had the fish and chips which she enjoyed. Our desert was cheese and biscuits which I enjoyed but I do find paying for small slithers of cheese and half a dozen small biscuits is not great value.
However over all it was a enjoyable visit.

Reviewed 18 January 2014

The Wykeham is an inviting pub in an atmospheric street near the medieval quarter of Winchester which won't disappoint with it's well kept range of Fuller's ales from the famous London brewery.
The pub also offers accommodation, but we were here for a relaxed evening meal on a quiet cold and wet weekday.

We opted for the two-course fixed price early bird evening menu for £18, reasonable for the quality of food offered.

I ordered wood pigeon for a starter, a first time for me. This was tender and gamey and worked quite well with the blackberries and corn.

The main course was a gourmet beefburger with a range of home made relishes, pickles and pomme frites, moist and medium cooked as I like it.

Perhaps the pub was a little short staffed, but it was otherwise an enjoyable visit.