“Great food and staff”

Price range: US$13 - US$132
Cuisines: British, Bar, Grill, Wine Bar
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Since it's incarnation in 1977, Saxtys has been at the heart of Hereford's social scene. We are family owned and operated and pride ourselves on giving a personal and honest service. We are a unique venue being a Bar, Restaurant and Nightclub and are also able to host a large range of events and functions including weddings. We serve a range of menus and 4 bars in total including a private Champagne Bar and Garden Bar & BBQ area open on weekend nights. We welcome groups and parties and can offer special menus for Stags and Hens etc, plus cocktail making and private wine tasting events. Our restaurant, main function room and garden are fully accessible for wheelchair users and we have spacious disabled / baby change facilities.
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We had a lovely, bubbly and helpful waitress and the food was great. The menu can be slightly confusing with the different menu options but our fantastic waitress was extremely helpful and more than happy to answer any questions we had, just a shame we didn't catch her name. The food is fresh and the presentation fantastic. Well done team Saxty's!

1  Thank Emma W
Saxtys, Owner at Saxtys, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2014

Thank you for your lovely review. I am really glad you had a lovely evening and were well looked after, and your comments about the food are very welcome. All our ingredients are fresh and where possible, locally sourced and our team of chefs make everything to order and endeavour to present it all well. We are currently in the process of reviewing all the menus to make the offers more simple and streamlined so hopefully less confusing! I hope we will see you again soon!

Reviewed 25 June 2014

I dined at Saxty's for a friends Hen do 2 weeks ago we had a lovely bubbly waitress (Didn't catch her name) who was very friendly and accommodating, even recommending places to go. The food was lovely and promptly served without any pre-orders and the atmosphere was great... we ended up staying the whole night! A huge thank you to the team at Saxty's and if I'm ever back in Hereford again I'm sure to come back!

1  Thank Rebecca H
Saxtys, Owner at Saxtys, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Hi Rebecca, Thank you so much for your lovely review of the evening you had with us. I am so pleased you were well looked after by our staff and enjoyed your food and the experience with us. We very much look forward to seeing you again if you come back to visit.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

Judging by the other reviews we must have gone to Saxtys on an unreasonably bad night. The staff were very pleasant and welcoming but the food was extremetly poor. We both had steaks which were so thin they could not possibly be cooked any way but well done ( we requested rare ). The whole meal was swimming in a bisto like gravy, including the onion rings and chips, which had been described erroneously on the menu as a 'red wine jus'. Very disappointing.

1  Thank Denise L
Saxtys, Owner at Saxtys, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Hello and thank you for your review. I am pleased the staff looked after you but I am as disappointed as you that you did not enjoy your food.

Our current Head Chef has worked extremely hard the last few months to raise our reputation and the quality of the food we serve and unfortunately he was on leave when you dined with us.
That, however is simply not a good enough excuse for standards not to be consistent and I will be talking to him to ensure his team understand their responsibilities fully to maintain consistency and quality in the food we serve. They are all very capable trained chefs so I am not sure exactly want went wrong when you dined with us.

Just to clarify your review, we do have a separate Steak & Grill menu giving you a choice of cuts and a choice of sauces, but I understand the Steak you ordered was from our popular special offer menu which is Rib-Eye and does come with a red wine jus. This is one of my personal favourites and again one of our most popular items so I am confident that most of the time we do get it right. The thin-ness of the steaks you mentioned and the cooking is something of a mystery as our steaks are from a local Herefordshire butcher, delivered fresh daily and normally the quality is very good. The Rib-Eyes are not going to be as thick as perhaps a fillet or a rump but again, I shall be asking the Head Chef to monitor this closely to ensure everything we procure and serve is of the highest standard.

You have only given us a 1 for atmosphere but not mentioned this in your review so I am sorry if the atmosphere of your evening with us was spoiled due to the disappointment with your food. I do hope you will try visiting us again as I am confident we can do much better than your recent experience. I would always encourage our reviewers to contact us on events@saxtys.co.uk if there was an issue to see if we can resolve it for you.

I do hope we do get to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

Fantastic all round excellent food lovely private booths could not fault anything saxtys menu changes regularly always great proberly best in town

Saxtys, Owner at Saxtys, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Hello and thank you for your lovely review. I am so glad you enjoy coming here and hope we will see you again very soon.

Reviewed 10 March 2014

Well Saxtys, or 'sexties' as it should be called... Lots of half naked folk gandering around whilst my wife and I tried to tuck into our steak. Not at all happy as the staff that evening should have pre-warned us about the genre of cliental that seamlessly fled into the building after 8pm. Was going to stay for dessert but ended up leaving rather abrubtly. Nice food, shame about the rather crass atmosphere that followed.

1  Thank Angus B
Saxtys, Owner at Saxtys, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

HI Angus.

Thank you for your review but I'm a bit of a loss at how to respond. I've genuinely never had this complaint before! Glad you enjoyed your food but I am afraid we don't have a policy or "warning" diners about other customers as, to be honest, there's nothing to warn about without sounding rather discriminatory towards fellow customers. We welcome many, many ages, genders and types of customer all the time at Saxtys and have done so for nearly 40 years. We are a bar, restaurant and nightclub and the atmosphere and clientele on the weekend evenings are naturally going to flow more towards those on a night out.

We would never make any assumptions about people based on fashion choice and I personally can't help but feel a bit sad from reading your comments as they do seem to be a little disparaging towards many of our loyal customers who visit us time and again for food, drinks, dancing and parties. We do have a general dress code of smart casual upwards. Now if this includes folk who like to dress up a little more (which may sometimes mean wearing a little less) than that is fine with us but we do not allow nudity in any form. We do welcome hen parties, stag parties, fancy dress, birthdays, and so much more and we hope people come and have a good time with us. If there was a specific individual invading your table space or using inappropriate language then a quiet word with our duty manager would sort the issue but it does seem as though you are just generalising about our other customers that evening.

I would like to also make it clear that I have tried to message you to invite you back on a quieter evening but appear to have had no response unfortunately. This is a great shame as on the weekday evenings the club is closed and I am certain you will have a much more enjoyable time and stay to try our lovely desserts! The invitation is still open and we really would love you to return soon.