“A pleasant stay”
Review of Merton Hotel

Merton Hotel
Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Hereford
Reviewed 26 June 2013

Had a pleasant overnight stay at the Merton Hotel, which is most convenient for a train traveller such as myself. Good room and a first-rate breakfast, with a splendid fresh fruit salad with yogurt followed by a good 'English' breakfast. Good Butty Bach beer too! Would stay again on a visit to Hereford.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank DaiorBai
There are newer reviews for Merton Hotel

Reviewed 19 June 2013

It's a shame there is no grading option between 'average' and 'very good'. The Merton is a perfectly OK budget hotel; it's clean and tidy, the rooms are comfortable, staff are friendly and ( from what we saw) cooked breakfasts are generous. We ate at the hotel once during our stay and found the meal was decent enough quality and well presented. The Merton is near the County Bus Station and the rail station and, as such, is very well situated. It should also be said that there are several busy pubs opposite the hotel, both of which are chains and renowned for cheap booze and all that goes with it; we would probably caution against a front-facing room for that reason alone. I guess the only real downer on our stay, however, was the nocturnal 'entertainment' on Sunday evening (midnight, to be precise) when our sleep was interrupted by a loud argument immediately outside our room - that is, in the corridor - between a man and woman who, it became apparent, did not know each other and were united purely by alcohol units consumed that night. They were almost certainly not guests as they both had local accents (I grew up in the area and know one when I hear one) and the woman said at one stage she was 'from Hereford'. I can only conclude that means they were staff at the hotel. At any rate, the argument developed into loud sex (still in the corridor) before the man unceremoniously evicted his 'partner'. We mentioned the incident as we left the next day to be told the people concerned had been 'asked to leave' implying they wee unruly guests, which we doubt! Shame this was the conclusion to our stay as it had otherwise been perfectly OK.

Room Tip: Don't opt for facing the main road as it is opposite several pubs and near the main hospital.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Trevor08, Manager at Merton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2013

With regards to the critical claims that the people disturbing your nights stay were "almost certainly not guests" and the suggestion that they were members of staff, I can assure you that they were not. No members of staff live within the building and in fact looking at the guests on the night of your stay I can see that several of them were from Hereford - it is not unheard of that people living on the outskirts of Hereford may choose a hotel over a costly taxi home !
The response you were given in the morning that the guests had been asked to leave is also true. To suggest that a member of staff would lie to you on departure is insulting. All of the staff in our employment are respectable individuals and well thought of amongst our regulars and hotel guests.

Thank you however for the comments which relate to the hotel.

Reviewed 15 June 2013

I was about to say "overpriced" but I can't imagine how a hotel could survive if it charged much less than I paid for a single room. The place needs to be refreshed: a lick of paint, some higher-quality bathroom fittings, newer carpets, better mattresses ... a bit of low-end capital investment , which I suspect they can't afford, or borrow. The people were lovely, and the breakfast was good (although not outstanding) and the location is great for the train station and the hospital. Although it's within walking distance of the centre it's close to some noisy pubs, that I suspect could be annoying on a Friday or Saturday (I stayed at the back of the hotel, on a Sunday, so was undisturbed). Basically, it's a pub. Expect to be staying in a pub and you won't be disappointed. However, there are some much nicer guest houses in which to stay in Hereford, for a very similar price.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 June 2013 via mobile

Last minute booking as decided to go to Hay Festival, which is about 21 miles away. Small room but edequate, wasn't expecting the Ritz! Shower worked and room quiet. Strong smell of air freshner in the alleyway. Breakfast adequate, freshly cooked bog standard fare. Staff pleasant. Can park by the bus station opposite a few restaurants and night clubs close by.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 8 May 2013

It was nice to be met by polite staff who were efficient in organising our late booking and squeezing us in for and evening meal. The food was enjoyable and the recommend wine was a suitable fit. Our room, as expected, was clean and well presented. After a sound sleep we started off our day with a hearty tradition English breakfast and a swift checkout topped of our enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jamesHBerlin
Reviewed 28 April 2013

Location by both bus and rail stations and a distinct lack of any quality alternatives are the only reasons any leisure traveller would opt to stay at this 1970s throwback pub hotel. I was charged £110 for a so-called family room for me and my four-year-old son as only occupants (£105 via bookings.com plus the extra fiver as the proprietor had no change when I paid and there was insufficient time before our train for him to sort himself out.) Outside signage says all B&B prices are negotiable: possibly by the hour ...

The bland, dated but clean enough rooms lacked all welcome and instead had laminated warnings of the surcharges that would be applied if you breached house rules about eating, key return, etc. The faded bathroom had dust and pubic hair in the bath. Towels and complimentary toiletries were of a standard more in keeping with building site digs. The small tv worked well. The nasty instant coffee sachets were again the usual budget accommodation fodder. The glazing was insufficiently sound-proofing to isolate the room overlooking Commercial Rd from the noise of locals assaulting each other and had-butting telephone boxes (yes, really) as part of their Saturday night "fun." Traffic noise was a problem.

Breakfast was the redeeming factor, and was of a fair standard: it suggests the pub meals may be ok too. I won't be back to find out, however. Overall a very poor experience of a pub of deluded grandeur.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking Commercial Rd are very, very noisy
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Trevor08, Owner at Merton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2013

Ah... yes I remember this man, who could forget him? He booked a room in advance so he knew the price - why then complain about it? He left without settling his bill and my manager chased him up the street, when challenged he thrust sixty quid in his hand and shouted "Stick the change where the sun don't shine".
The comments regarding toiletries and towels are purely subjective. Three types of fresh towels laundered by a national company plus wrapped soaps, shower gel and shampoo / conditioner are pretty standard for most hotels.
Yes, we do remind people with signage to return keys and kindly not to smoke in the rooms - we do not remind people to pay their bills, this is usually accepted as a given. Hopefully this guest will not return to further abuse my staff.

Reviewed 8 March 2013

This was a last minute booking as the local Premier Inn was full. It is a nice old building and great for the station but in spite of really nice staff, my room was not up to standard and let the whole place down.
when opening the door to my room there was an overwhelming smell of an unventilated bathroom which really was off-putting, it smelt damp and stale, and as it was cold night, could not be helped by opening the smallest window I have ever encountered in a hotel.
It is shame because the place has character and could be so much better, but at £70 per night does not offer good value for money compared to the more modern chains.
I have nothing but praise for the your lady who seemed to be doing everything, she checked me in, gave out advice on the station and then in the morning served a really good breakfast

Room Tip: Don't have the first room at the front as you come up the stairs!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business