“Grear ovrall experience”

Merton Hotel
Ranked #12 of 12 Hotels in Hereford
“Grear ovrall experience”
Reviewed 5 August 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the hotel for a week due to work purposes and I must say I was very highly impressed with the hotel coming to me as a recommendation from a friend. The rooms were equipped with everything you could need,cleaned to a high standard...the food divine and very reasonably priced with a bar serving a good selection of local beers and ale, very friendly staff nothing was to much trouble and generally a lovely atmosphere, very well priced hotel and a little gem of a hotel. I will definitely be returning for a personal stay next time not just for work purposes.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Thomas H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Arrived on a Friday afternoon and room was ready although we arrived a little earlier than we said,
Room was nice and just what we required for the weekend,we were on the top floor at the front of the building over looking the main street, the only thing i would say is it does get noisy when the pubs and clubs turn out,
The breakfasts were superb and we ate in the restaraunt on a couple of occasions and the food was very nice and good value, all staff were very friendly....

Room Tip: Room at back of building if you want some peace..
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jibbo999
Wirral
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Following a serious accident on Holiday in Ledbury my Father was rushed to Hereford Hospital. After travelling 3 hrs to be with him, we provisionally booked two rooms @ Merton as we were not sure whether he would be transferred to another hospital or not. Upon finding a skull fracture & subdural hematoma (brain bleed) he was airlifted to Coventry for an emergency Craniotomy, so we subsequently cancelled the rooms later that night.
Whilst waiting for him to come out or surgery the Hotel called to advise we would be charged cancellation fees, to which I advised them to email us regarding this as quite frankly we had more important things on our minds.
Didn't receive any email - just £50 deposited from our account to which when I called to dispute and request a refund due to the nature of the circumastances - the Mangager laughed at me and told me it wouldn't be refunded and basically to be grateful it wasn't the full £50 per room cancellation fee.
I would like to add that after re-iterating the full situation, not once did he enquire as to my Father's recovery which quite frankly I find digusting!
We ended up in a Premier Inn in Coventry (Cross Point Business Park) and they practically fell over themselves to accomodate 6 of us for 10 days and more importantly did not charge any cancellation fees when we ended up returning home a day earlier than planned.
My Father has made a fanstatic recovery, however this situation made an already difficult and stressful time even harder and to be laughed at was frankly an insult to us all!

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Jezabel1985
Trevor08, Owner at Merton Hotel, responded to this review, 29 July 2013
This person has NEVER stayed at this hotel. From their story above you can see that we reduced their cancellation fee by 50% even though they did not show up without notice. The comments with regards to "laughter" and the story about an Email are pure fiction.

Travellers are raving about these Hereford hotels

Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2013

Well what a mixed place this is, the front is tired looking and dated, its more run down b&b than hotel. The staff were good very helpful and friendly offering great service.
On arriving in the room, I found it incredibly dark, the surfaces were dusty, and there were hairs on the bathroom tiles, the outside window had a cracked pane of glass and there was a hole in one of the walls.
After a hard days work I couldn't be bothered to complain just wanted a bath and some food and a good nights sleep.
We ate downstairs and the food was served hot and of a good quality, we ate outside on a patio area that looked onto a very busy main road.
On returning to my room to sleep I found that the room was unbearable due to the heat, the hotel walls are thin and very noisy.
The room looked out onto the busy main road and with poor glazing the noise was very disturbing to my sleep, plus the noise of the busy night clubs and bars made it literally impossible to get my head down.
The bed was seriously uncomfortable too.
There is no WIFI in the hotel.
SO all in all good food nice staff but terrible hote

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Colwyn Bay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2013

The main thing going for the hotel is its proximity to the railway station. Hereford does not have many good places to eat and with hindsight I would have had an evening meal at the hotel which did offer a good choice. Room a bit basic and on the small side; staff seemed friendly enough, Could do with more non-cooked choice for breakfast eg Weetabix.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2013

Just to set the scene, I travel for work, so there are few requirements that I see as a must have, on some of these the Merton fell short on, which for some travellers would not be an issue. Ok, the Merton is central, which is a positive, it has no parking, or WIFI which are both negatives from a 'work' perspective. The hotel, well when I say hotel, it's more a pub with rooms, in general is 'traditional' which is a nice way of saying old, or "welcome to the 70's".. and need of some TLC, and a complete re-furb. My room, room 22, was on the 2nd floor (no lift), via some fairly narrow stairways, and was at the front of the hotel, so with a night club across the road, you needed to be a heavy sleeper. On a positive note, the food was a pleasant surprise, and the local ale was a delight.. So in summary, if you are in Hereford for work, there maybe better choices, however if you need a cheap, passable hotel, with good 'grub' which in reality is a pub with rooms, right next to the bus station, in the central Hereford, this could be the one for you.

Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank David P
Trevor08, Owner at Merton Hotel, responded to this review, 3 July 2013
We do have free WiFi available to all guests. We do clearly state that we do not have "Private" parking, ample public spaces are available within a few yards. Like many small hotels, we do not have a lift - for the three rooms above the first level. Our stairways are of a standard width, I can easily walk up them with a suitcase in each hand. Let ME set the scene...En suite bedrooms, 24 hour reception management, good restaurant, good service, wide choice of freshly cooked breakfasts, central to the city, free WiFi, laundry service, Email and printing services.....Pub or Hotel?
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2013

Had a pleasant overnight stay at the Merton Hotel, which is most convenient for a train traveller such as myself. Good room and a first-rate breakfast, with a splendid fresh fruit salad with yogurt followed by a good 'English' breakfast. Good Butty Bach beer too! Would stay again on a visit to Hereford.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends