“Well located for both train travelers and cathedral seekers”
Review of Merton Hotel

Merton Hotel
Ranked #12 of 12 Hotels in Hereford
Reviewed 24 May 2014

We spent only one night here in a triple and it was fine. The hotel has a nice staff who were willing to watch our luggage past checkout time so we could dash to the Cathedral to see the wonderful Mappa Mundi and Chained Library displays. The triple room had an actual bed for the third person, which was greatly appreciated by that person (me). The only problem was that the toilet seat was loose, and every time somebody used it, it made a loud crashing noise. Hope that they get it fixed, because everything else was lovely.

Room Tip: I wouldn't suggest testing the toilet seat to be sure it was secured, but it was harder to sleep...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Merton Hotel

Reviewed 22 April 2014

We stayed here over the Bank Holiday as a last minute option and it did the job. The positives are the lovely staff, the fantastic full English breakfast and the central location. The negatives are the rooms and bathrooms need an update (but they aren't dirty), the price wasn't the cheapest, no parking and the nightclub and taxi rank across the road woke me up a few times but if you're need a place to stay and aren't too fussy then it's absolutley fine.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the main road are quieter.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 October 2013

A colleague and I arrived at around 8.30pm - the kitchen was closed and the bar offered only crisps and peanuts. There is no lift so we carried our cases up the stairs to our rooms - no porter in evidence and I don't know what you'd do if you have mobility difficulties; the decor is old and dated and there are no spy holes in the bedroom doors. My room was tiny - no room between the end of the bed and the table for a chair so I ate cold food sitting on the bed (there are printed notices warning of fines if you bring hot food into your room). Hair dryers are not provided but the hotel supplied me with a good hair dryer, so do ask at reception. The walls are thin and the floorboards creaky so noise from other rooms is audible. My room had no shower...this wasn't pointed out when we checked in and it is a problem for many reasons e.g. It takes more time to run a bath in the morning if you fancy getting washed before going to work. Coffee was real at breakfast, but no porridge. Towels good and clean, carpet in my room tacky. So, there are good points, not least the girl womanning reception who seemed to be run off her feet and tried very hard to look after us...but the negatives were difficult to get over and, for the price, I think it's a 'could do better'.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank 1974janeen
Reviewed 14 August 2013 via mobile

Needs a makeover, particularly the bedrooms. Decent location though and an okay breakfast. Not good value for money at nearly £70/night especially as there is no car parking at the hotel. Won't be returning there in a hurry.

2  Thank SwiganS
Reviewed 13 August 2013

I stop at the Merton approx every month as it is excellently located for my work and I have always had great service there. Granted the rooms are dated and I have never seen so much woodchip wallpaper since the 70s but the rooms are clean the service is great, the showers are hot and everyone is friendly so for me I will continue to come back. Dunno about it as a holiday venue but if you need a base in central Hereford can't praise it more!

2  Thank eclaires123
Reviewed 13 August 2013 via mobile

Popped in here with my six year old to have a bowl of chips and a drink before we went to the cinema. They did not take cards unless over £5 so we placed our order then walked to the closest cash point to get cash out to pay. It was old fashioned inside and well worn in, and quiet at the time we popped in. I think the last behind the bar was dissapointed we didn't order more food. However the chips were lovely.

1  Thank Rosie E
Reviewed 7 August 2013 via mobile

The room was cleaned to a high standard equipped with everything I would need. Friendly and helpful staff eager to assist. Two minute's walk to the train station. english breakfast was superb! A very pleasant stay.

• Stayed: April 2013