“Tiny gem that I don't really want to share!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Whitney Bridge

Whitney Bridge
Ranked #12 of 51 things to do in Hereford
More attraction details
Owner description: Historic Whitney-on-Wye single track Toll Bridge dates back to 1779. One of just a few remaining in England. Two earlier bridges were washed away by the strong river currents and a stone and timber construction was built in 1797.Open 365 days a year with parking and riverside picnic area. Come and fish, canoe, picnic or camp with us. Perfect setting for camping part way through your canoe trip - on the banks of the River Wye at Whitney Toll Bridge HR3 6EW. Very quiet and private small campsite with fire pit, direct canoe launch/land and parking. Four toilets available (clean and fully stocked with soap and loo rolls etc) plus clean drinking water shower tap (sorry no private showers). Breakfast and BBQs can be arranged - fully licensed so you can enjoy a chilled beer too.
Bristol, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Tiny gem that I don't really want to share!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2012

My partner and I came across Whitney-on-Wye Toll Bridge as it was an ending point for a canoe trip from further down the Wye. It was such a lovely place that we decided to spend the following day there. This no doubt sounds a bizarre concept.. a day at a toll bridge, however, the new owners (Jan 2012) have made it their mission to develop the bridge into an attraction, thus preserving and promoting the heritage of the site. As it stands at present, the bridge boasts probably the tiniest shop and bar in the world.. chilled drinks including soft drinks, beer and even bottles of prosecco are available, with lashings of ice on demand. There are also snacks, delicious ice cream (try the honeycomb!) and an event shelter outside on the grassed area where you can order food - not your standard burgers I hasten to add.. I went for a mushroom and halloumi burger with salad and was offered a variety of relishes, of which I plumped for beetroot and horseradish :) Which brings me on to the service and hospitailty. It was a beautiful but very hot day and whilst I sat drinking tea, reading magazines and eating my lunch, I was plied with iced water no less that three times, without having asked. Both the owners were pleasant and welcoming but inobtrusively so.. my partner and I independently found out the history of the bridge and the best fishing spots! Which brings me on to the situation.. The River Wye slowly approaches the bridge (we were there at a time of low water, visitors will have to judge the river for themselves at their time of visit) and isn't plagued by the usual river traffic (apart from numerous canoes and kayaks) and is therefore great for swimming - I swam happily whilst my partner fished, marvelling at the shoals of minnows attempting to give me a fish pedicure whilst I recovered sitting at the edge.
There are toilets - very basic and not at all luxurious.. but that kind of thing doesn't bother me..it also has an old cold water shower outside the toilets if you should want to cool down or rinse off after swimming.

We will be returning, both as a couple and with the children. I hesitate to share this place as it feels like a special find and I naturally and selfishly want to keep it to ourselves and not find it inundated and changed the next time we visit.. but I think it so special that I think it worthy of promotion and support so that it isn't lost. Definitely an atttraction for those who enjoy natural beauty, don't need to be spoonfed entertainment and enjoy something unique with historic interest. And GREAT burgers :) At present not a wet weather activity for any long period of tiume as there is little in the way of shelter, but I understand this is in the pipeline.

Visited August 2012
2 Thank CatherineJameson
mtaylor0, Owner at Whitney Bridge, responded to this review, 14 August 2012
Thank you so much for your great feedback - it was lovely to have you enjoy the area as much as we do - hopefully we didn't bore you too much with the history and plans! Please do come back with your children on a sunny weekend. We are planning more covered areas etc and hopefully from summer 2013 we will be in the position to entertain people in any weather all year round.
See you soon.

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Canoeing & Camping”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2012

We canoed from Glasbury and landed at the steps where we easily took our boat out. We were greeted and spent a relaxing evening making ourselves at home in the sheltered campsite (£4ppn). We accepted the offer for breakfast (£5.50 ea) which we chose to have at 8am the next day.
Within walking distance is a pub and a farm shop, great for stocking up and having a well earned pint - and if you don't fancy going that far, ice creams and even a BBQ dinner is possible!

Before we left we chatted with our hosts about the toll bridge, the sheer cost of its upkeep and the effort needed to keep it going - along with some ideas to bring more people in to see it in it's own right - it's certainly one of the nicest bridges we saw all the way to Hereford!

Visited July 2012
mtaylor0, Owner at Whitney Bridge, responded to this review, 14 August 2012
Thank you for your great feedback - it was lovely to have you here and hopefully you will return one day (perhaps next summer when you get a break from your new jobs/studies). Good luck to you with all your endeavours too.
Regards
Hereford, United Kingdom
136 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 139 helpful votes
“New owners.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2012

New people have taken over this Toll Bridge and are making a very good effort to improve its status on the tourist map.Very handy shortcut to Hay on Wye.

Visited June 2012
mtaylor0, Owner at Whitney Bridge, responded to this review, 14 August 2012
Thank you for your great review - we are endeavouring to protect the future of the historic Bridge by creating a tourist interest here so thank you for mentioning us. People have started calling us the gateway yo Hay-on-Wye - which we rather like....
Regards and hope to see you again - perhaps stop for a cup of coffee or chilled drink by the river with us next time..
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Beautiful River Wye”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2012

An historic bridge over the beautiful river Wye. We have walked Offas Dyke and crossed this river a number of times, this location is very special. To see the majesty of this wide stretch of water in full flow set in magnificent countryside is pure delight. As if that's not great enough, soon we will be able to buy lovely icecreams at the Toll Bridge too. A special place to stop, admire the view and take a breather from the rat race. Perfect.

Visited June 2012
Ross on Wye, UK
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“A little piece of local history that is well worth a visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

If you are travelling between Hay on Wye and Hereford then don't go the long way round! For 80p for you can take a short cut and cross the river at the centuries old Whitney on Wye Toll Bridge. And don't just cross without stopping to admire the beautiful views, the swans with their young and the canoeists and fisherman messing about on the river! The new owners of the bridge are working hard to make the spot a visitor destination rather than just a crossping place and if you have time to stop and chat they are happy to tell you about their plans and vision for the future to preserve this great piece of Herefordian history.

Visited April 2012