“Overpriced and undercooked”

Munstone House Country Hotel
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Hereford
Reviewed 14 December 2013

Just been to a christmas party here, and it was atrocious. the staff were ignorant, the seating plan was similar to that of a school dining hall, and anyone over 3 feet tall wouldn't have been able to sit comfortably in the VERY limited space. The cash and carry food was GROSSLY undercooked, and we had to wait over an hour between the main and dessert. Certainly not worth £30 a head.

Oh and we had more than one Earwig crawling on our table.

i wish i could give it a zero. AVOID!!!!!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
6  Thank Diane H
There are newer reviews for Munstone House Country Hotel

Reviewed 8 December 2013

being a regular visitor to Hereford I have stayed at all the hotels , most numerous times . Some I will return to others I wont.
Munstone House Country Hotel is a boomerang , I will be back there, I had a great room, plenty of space and felt like home.
I enjoyed so local Gin!
had a great piece of Hereford beef with great servings of food

Room Tip: go the Executive suite!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank BDCPlatypus
Reviewed 1 December 2013

a few grim reviews, but they seem to have got it together when we stayed , the room was beautiful the service was excellent, and their new bar/lounge was sublime the staff were helpful and warm , the food was amazing and the bar was fantastic , my wife loved it (major brownie points for me )
I cant recommend this beautiful hotel enough. will be back in new year !!

Room Tip: go for the 4 poster for that luxury feel
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 272bob
Reviewed 9 November 2013

Reading previous reviews of which 90% seemed really bad I was adamant we'd stay there. If the reviews had been not quite as awful we might have cancelled but it intrigued me. First off, the entrance is up the steps and you do have to ring the bell to get the inner door opened. We were met by a lovely elderly lady who was very sweet, She led us to our room which was spacious and the bed was comfy. The place just needs about 50 lightbulbs as our chandelier had two bulbs missing and one blown, The water supply to the shower was hit and miss - it's almost as if you need to discuss showering times with the other guests and set up a rota for who gets the water.
Breakfast was lovely and the young waitress was very helpful, we saw the elderly lady again when we paid and again she enquired as to how things were etc. very nice indeed.
So, if you like country hotels as opposed to modern block buildings and you can tolerate slight imperfections I'd recommend it.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Giles527
Reviewed 26 October 2013

Our two night stay hit the buffers on arrival as our room was not available. Reading the reviews on our return, was this due to overbooking? Probably. We were taken to another house which smelt foisty and damp. We put the heaters on but our clothes smelt just from being in the room. Even when we got home the odour was still strong so the washing machine was put into overdrive. Lovely throws and cushions with the plastic price tags still attached! The hot water felt as if it had to travel from a Welsh reservoir it took so long to come out of the tap. The cups were dirty, so pleased we had our own.
Breakfast was abysmal, microwaved bacon - ugh. Happy shopper yoghurts - ugh. Indescribable sausages - double ugh.
Our "proper" room was smelly as well but of stale nicotine this time. Dust on the lights and other fittings was very visible. The toilet had dried faeces stuck to the side - as the toilet brush was already brown I was not going to "clean" it off. The PAT testing of electrical items was overdue by a year.
We were unable to bring ourselves to stay the second night because of the all pervading odour and general lack of cleanliness. My husband who has travelled with HM Forces and experienced all manner of accommodation was unable to use the bathroom facilities - which sent a very loud message to me!
Please do not be deceived by the attractive pictures on the internet as they do not show the dust and dirt, neither can they portray the unpleasant smell of the two buildings. We travel a great deal here and abroad so can judge this lovely looking estabishment against many others and it falls very short of acceptable.

Room Tip: The other rooms in Munstone House looked and smelt no better.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Seren759
Reviewed 24 October 2013

I have to admit, the owner - Yvonne, was not really rude to us. However, this venue needs some serious management reshaping.

This is clearly a hotel that caters to primarily weddings, rather than guests looking for a retreat - this is a great shame, as the building is beautiful and the grounds/view are stunning. This could quite easily be a very profitable business, but by the sounds of the other reviews, money doesn't seem to be an issue.

Actually finding the front door, and reception was a mission in itself. I work in the hotel industry and to have a venue that is inexplicably not marked is really very off putting. You quite literally have to deduce the front door (it's up the steps) and then ring a bell to be allowed entry into the actual building itself.

We had booked online a matter of hours previously as it was a last minute trip, and when ringing the bell - an intercom, it was answered by I assume, Yvonne, who seemed very unclear as to who we were (after we'd mentioned our name and length of stay, despite seemingly the only guests) and then came to greet us. We were given our key, shown to our room and asked whether we had booked a table to eat - there is no restaurant in the hotel. We hadn't considered at this point and were weary after a 4 hour drive, but Yvonne was very insistent that we should book a table at a certain Thai restaurant, even though we had mentioned we didn't fancy Thai food. I'm not sure whether she gets commission from recommending venues, but it didn't really sit right with me. I recommend restaurants in my job, but I'm never wholly insistent on one place.

The room on first view was lovely - very large, with a big bed and period features, as was the bathroom. On inspection however, the room was dirty; there was a used plate underneath the bed, dust all over and a number of dead flies on the window sills. The bedsheets were slightly stained and had hairs underneath the pillows. The bathroom light didn't work unless you really yanked hard and even then, it was temperamental. The extractor fan was, well, disgusting. The toilet seat was angled so you practically fell off each time you used it and although this isn't something I would ever normally concern myself with, the hot tap is furiously hot on what I would classify as a "low" setting (certainly not high enough to scald skin).

These things can all be overseen - we were just glad to get away. To be honest, even if we had concerns, Yvonne was nowhere to be seen. There was no telephone to the reception in the room, so we would have had to ring the intercom again. Considering it appeared to be literally us and her on the premises, I felt a bit unsafe with the concept of complaining.

We finally selected somewhere to eat and asked Yvonne for a taxi number as the signal on our phones was low. The hotel is advertised as having WiFi and Yvonne said as much when we entered the room, but it was sporadic at best. Again, she asked us about our restaurant choice and we felt pressured into picking her choice - she said she could ring them for us!

We didn't eat breakfast here, despite it being added in the price. We slept through both times and it isn't offered for a long period of time, which is fine - it's a small venue.

Sleep was OK - dogs were barking early in the morning. We were interrupted by domestic staff twice even though we'd said we didn't need our room servicing. TV channels were sketchy.

We stayed two nights, and we only really saw Yvonne a couple of times, and nobody else bar the slightly surly domestic staff the entire time we were there. So really, service was non-existent.

Upon leaving, we really did feel compelled to voice our concerns about our stay. It hadn't been dreadful, but we felt it was overpriced and lacking. I cannot stand complaining, but I had the impression that Yvonne didn't have a clue what she would charge us. Fortunately, there was no price discrepancy. To be honest, we wanted to pay and get out of there - it felt hostile.

The last impression of the place was Yvonne who seemed inebriated or heavily medicated - offering us breakfast to compensate for not having it two mornings. She stumbled all over the place as we were paying and despite us declining breakfast, she came back to us with two full plates of cooked breakfasts - quite a sweet gesture, but very bizarre.

The real shame is that the hotel surroundings and building itself is so beautiful. I almost wanted to offer my services to help restore the name and help Yvonne out - I'm not sure how she deals by herself, but from our impression, it doesn't seem that she is dealing at all.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank missybct
Reviewed 22 September 2013

we stayed at muntone house for two nights due to my wifes brother choosing the venue as their wedding venue and having read the reviews on trip advisor i thought oh know what have you done .
But i can only speak of our experience and have to say for a wedding venue this is very nice .
On arrival we was greeted by very polite staff who showed us to our family room which was very clean, no dust or anything that shocked us, the main bed was a four poster which was ok some of the wood not perfect but hey ho this is a hotel and how many people have stayed in the rooms.
The bathroom had a corner jacuzzi bath and over bath shower all in working order no complaints.
The house is over 160 years old and the decor and furniture is done in a way to try and compliment the age of the building so if you like nice modern perfect walls and ceilings etc this isnt for you.
The lady who was in charge was so kind to us and nothing was too much trouble ,that was to be said of all the staff,
The breakfast was very good, it was buffet style and you could have as much as you liked and if something wasnt there that you would like they would go out of their way to help you.
There was full english , continental ,cereal , yogots and pastries.
The food for the wedding day was very very good , we had a carvery and you could have asmuch as you liked .the lady who ran the place made sure all guests were happy and bellies were full. the night time food was also excellent with hot pizza and chicken and savories and sandwiches etc.
The drinks were a tad on the expensive side but tell me a hotel that isnt as you are not in a working mens club.
The communial areas of the hotel had plenty of seats to relax and enjoy the piece and quiet and were also very clean ,wifi was available and free of charge.
The grounds of the hotel were nice with a nice sounding water feature, i personly think some of the plants could do with being cut right back to show some more of this beatiful building off.
but thats just my opinion.
As ive said you can only speak as you find and we were made to feel very welcome the owner couldnt do enough for us and our children and our baby, our room was clean and tidy and had all the facilties you would expect.
The building as ive said is not new so dont expect new but if you like a bit of history and period style you will love it
We had a great stay we couldnt fault the place nor would we want to and would stay again
Thank you to Munstone House for making our stay a pleasure

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family