“Paid my bill - got a phone call....”

Munstone House Country Hotel
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Hereford
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Paid my bill - got a phone call....”
Reviewed 25 February 2014

We stayed at this hotel for a Valentines and Birthday treat, booking through Booking.com, payment to be taken by the hotel, when it came to pay the bill the lady checked the diary and then advised that the cost was £200, which I duly paid. Today I got a phone call from a very abrupt lady telling me she was doing the accounts and we had underpaid and that I should give her a credit card number over the phone - I am not in the habit of supplying my credit card number to people who just ring me up obvioulsy and therefore advised that I was not willing to do that and so she asked how I would pay. I suggested that we were only charged £200 after the lady had checked the diary and therefore this is their error not mine. She advised that she would send an invoice that I should pay because otherwise they woudl take me to court... surely if they had wanted to charge me £300 they would have charged it to me rather than the very rude phone call from someone I don't know threatening me... DON'T STAY HERE!!

Room Tip: Book somewhere else!!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Sarah F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Hereford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Well, where do I start! The day was absolutely PERFECT!!
I could not have chosen a better place.
The reception room is lovely and big with a nice view of the gardens.
I was amazed when I saw the room all ready for my big day. It looked absolutely beautiful and the staff had done an amazing job at setting out the tables.
The grounds of Munstone House are beautiful. There is a lovely waterfall where I had a photo taken and loads of little places to have some really stunning shots.
I chose a calvary for my main meal and the food was to die for. All my guests commented on how gorgeous the food was. Even too this day people still say, "oh remember the food at your wedding, it was lovely" and they are right. I was absolutely delighted with the way the day had started out.
The evening just got better. The room is big enough to hold 150/200 people and I had a band which was amazing. The room was filled with people dancing and having a lovely time.
The staff at Munstone house did an absolute fantastic job of hosting my special day and I didn't have to worry abut a thing.
Even from the day I booked the venue, Yvonne, the owner, knew exactly what she was doing and advised me on what welcoming drinks to have etc and I am so happy she did as the punch was delicious :) and the way everything was laid out and presented was great.
She did a great job and I was and still am so happy with the way the whole thing just came together.
I would recommend this venue to anyone. Simply Perfect

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jade N
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 December 2013

This was my son and girl friend's first Christmas together and was chosen simply because it was a convenient location near to family and the photographs of the grounds and rooms looked really amazing! Firstly, they were the only guests on Christmas eve, yet they were given a 'cosy' room, a bathroom so, so tiny, with a sloping ceiling, that my six foot four son couldn't even stand up in to brush his teeth ! There was a 'curtained' adjoining room? ? perhaps that was the main bathroom? NO BREAKFAST on Christmas morning AT ALL even though paid for! ( they paid up front with CASH as it was my present!) Apparently they had a Christmas day lunch to make for thirty people????? Also they said there was no reception or staff to talk to and the bar was closed? Sorry but your loss when they are looking for any future venues! And how about a REFUND on the breakfast! A cheque will do! Hopefully you will get your act together for New Year but we are staying in the Premier from now on!

Room Tip: Don't get the one with handcarved beds if you are over 5' 5"
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank ChrisandG

Travellers are raving about these Hereford hotels

Leominster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Where do i start, the day we paid for the wedding the manager looked down her nose at my partner and I because our bill didn't quite make the £4000 (we had saved up for this) the evening before the wedding my room was disgusting mould around the shower and bath, mould by the toilet under the lino my other guests complained of dirty water coming through the jacuzzi taps. Toilet brushes with feaces on them for all to see bath blocked even to the degree that the manager knew about it as she brought the sucker with her when informed of a problem!.
Bed creaked and kept my friend awake ( I expected a lot more for £100 a night) what you see is not what you get. The morning of the wedding we were left to our own devices no assistance. The manager very rude and unapproachable dirty and dressed in soiled clothes throughout the day very flirtatious with my husband at times.
My wedding ceremony was very short due to getting wed the day before and all she did was criticise it and told the staff that i had paid for to go home because they weren't needed ( what did I pay a huge amount for). It was sweltering and the manager wouldn't let the staff serve us from the bar, we waited over an hour for our meal which is the only thing that was excellent!
No air conditioning the room was ridiculous, so hot thought we were going to faint when asked if we could open the door the snotty reply was 'you wait'.

The £16 a bottle of wine was a £3.99 Echo falls appalling cheap Champagne that cost us nearly £18 per bottle Lemonade and Cola from Aldi's overly priced
We paid for the whole hotel for just our guests only to see strangers also booked in.

After the party I put the best side light on only to be met by a handful of cobwebs and then the light not working!

Upon leaving the manager very rudely turned around to me and said ' you did well for yourself there when checking out my husband.

I have left my review for sometime and still very hurt and saddened with the fact my wedding day was ruined thanks to the manager of this hotel

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank lisaclewer1973
Washington, Virginia
Reviewed 25 December 2013

I stayed here for a week before departing overseas, the room was amazing, included a four poster bed, fabulous views and the staff were extremely pleasant and helpful. Breakfast was inviting, warm and plenty of it. The newly opened restaurant is just lush, fab menu and all locally sourced food which is so nice to see. I look forward to my next visit in the spring when hopefully the weather will be better and I can sit on the veranda with a Chase Vodka and glorious food and enjoy the fantastic views. Thank you for making my stay so welcoming see you all soon.

Room Tip: All the rooms are very different I intend to try a different one each visit!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Mel1612
Hereford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 December 2013

Just been to a christmas party here, and it was atrocious. the staff were ignorant, the seating plan was similar to that of a school dining hall, and anyone over 3 feet tall wouldn't have been able to sit comfortably in the VERY limited space. The cash and carry food was GROSSLY undercooked, and we had to wait over an hour between the main and dessert. Certainly not worth £30 a head.

Oh and we had more than one Earwig crawling on our table.

i wish i could give it a zero. AVOID!!!!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank Diane H
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 8 December 2013

being a regular visitor to Hereford I have stayed at all the hotels , most numerous times . Some I will return to others I wont.
Munstone House Country Hotel is a boomerang , I will be back there, I had a great room, plenty of space and felt like home.
I enjoyed so local Gin!
had a great piece of Hereford beef with great servings of food

Room Tip: go the Executive suite!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business