Aylestone Court Hotel
Great 4.5/5
  • Restaurant
Good 3.5/5
Very Good 4/5
The Priory Hotel(Stretton Sugwas)
Great 4.5/5
  • Pool
All reviewsbowes lyongeorgian hotelevening mealon arrivallovely hoteltown centreenjoyable stayafternoon teabeautiful roomshower roombed was very comfortablemain roadfeel very welcomesconesbreakfast was deliciousstayed here for one nightplenty of parking
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 November 2013

I was looking forward to a birthday meal out at, what I thought would be, a reasonably high class of restaurant. The building looks warm from the outside and certainly welcoming and the example menu on the website looked good. I note that this facility has since been removed.
There was a welcome of sorts as we entered. A young woman saw us, smiled, and then walked off. We found her in a pre-dinner drinks room waiting for us.
We were handed a sheet of paper, being tonight's somewhat limited menu. Four starters, four mains, which were one veggie, two fish, and a beef dish, and four puddings, no cheese option.
Having requested drinks, our waitress disappeared only to return to explain that the slim line tonic was not an option.
We were a couple. When the next diners, all four of them appeared, the room was full which left two of them standing up. The next couple appeared and just walked out again. There was confusion when the foursome ordered their drinks. The waitress again disappeared and returned with (sorry) an older lady, perhaps the manager (?) who I greeted and who blanked me in return. Nice.
On our way into the main dining area my wife had to ask for her coat to be taken to which the waitress replied "I'll see if I can put it somewhere".
So to dinner. I ordered a glass of red wine off the wine list that I had to ask for. The waitress returned to check whether it was red or white I wanted, and to tell us that my wife's requested sparkling water was out of stock. The requested second choice of still water came in a jug, no ice, and no slice.
The spicy swede soup had no spice. My hot avocado with stilton was mushed half avocado, a teaspoon of cheese chucked in with a little lettuce and no taste.
Of the main course of beef. The casserole was okay, mash from a school dinner with luke warm red cabbage.
At this point the table of four, also having needed to ask for the wine list, were delivered an open bottle of wine that was unceremoniously plonked onto their table. No sniffing, no tasting, and no glasses, let alone pouring for them.
My orange and cranberry bread and butter pudding was delicious. Just to show not all was poor.
However, on the way to the gents I managed to get around an abandoned step ladder in the narrow corridor only to find that the light in the cubicle to be not working.
The bill paid, coat returned, when asked for, and we left with the intention of never going back and certainly not recommending this place to anyone. Shame.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Went to this hotel for a relative's 40th birthday lunch and nothing was bad but everything was just a little below par. When I arrived I was very impressed with the building, outside looked smart and there was a boutique feel to the place as you entered. Small bar area was a little crowded and the waitress (who was very quiet and almost shy) said that they didn't stock beers. No matter the wine was good and the bar area was full of interesting things, it was like being in your Nan's front room. Through to the dining room which was bright, clean and spacious. Now at first I thought it was well decorated but then we all noticed some of the art work by a local artist called Emma Tallboys, now I'm not against any art but things need to be appropriate for the location and to be frank some of the images were a little disturbing and looked like advertising stills from Chuckie VI: 'The Death Dolls are Coming'. There were children in the group and these were not exactly a pleasure to look at under the circumstances, having said that in the right location Emma's work would have been very thought provoking. The lunch was good but not spectacular, the service very understated and overall it was a good time.
I just think that there were several little things that could have been better, overall good but things to work on but especially the art on display.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Well maintained large Georgian hotel and very well run.
Quietly mannered staff and very efficient. A very pleasant warm room with the usual facilities, iron, hairdryer, TV and Coffee/tea facilities, though with insufficient small sachets. Limited shower gels in the bathroom, so bring your own.
The evening meal and breakfasts were very nicely presented, hot and tasty.
The hotel was set in a pleasant area within 10 minutes walk of Hereford town centre.
We were checked out by a very pleasant, friendly lady.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed here one night when our son got married at Lyde Court. Staff were exceptionally helpful with our coming and goings late night and early morning. Our son and New wife had a beautiful room, although the four rooms that I saw were spacious and tastefully decorated. Although we were after breakfast time had ended the chef still cooked breakfast for us. Our stay was abit rushed and we didn't have time to make the most of the hotel. We aim to visit Hereford for a short break in the near future and will definitely return to this hotel.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 November 2013

The Hotel is a brilliant building that requires minor touches to make it great. Our daughter had booked it through Groupon, with an evening meal and breakfast.

We arrived at 2.15pm, 15mins after checking time, we were met by a dark haired gentlemen who's manner was unwelcoming and he never even raised his head to speak to us properly. He said the rooms weren't ready and told us to go into town, as we already spent the morning there was not an option for us. I ask when will the rooms be ready he said in an hour. We decided to go to the pub for a drink and returned two hours later.

Luckily we were met by a blond gentlemen on our return, who's manner was much more welcoming and he showed us to the room, which looked amazing and we were very pleased.

We had booked the evening meal for 7pm and were still waiting at 7.30pm. The waitress was very polite but knew nothing about the menu or what items were or what the menu choices were. We had to ask her twice to find out a) what soup it was and if b) they had custard with apple crumble (no custard, maybe a bit difficult to provide). As the wine and drinks where so expensive we asked for tap water to be placed on the table. The table was very well set out and the food was only let down by tinned dishes with Lasagne in, no garlic was present in dish, and the Apple Crumble was actually Berry Crumble.

The night was pleasant, bed ok, quiet and warm.

We went for breakfast at 9am, unfortunately the dark haired guy was back and his manner had not improved. He asked what we wanted for breakfast and we asked what was available and he physically dumped the menu on the table, his manner was just rude and made us feel unwelcome. Breakfast was ok and improved when the man left and the lady waitress took over.
Its a shame that we had to ask for more juice, more dishes, more toast etc.

The hotel is well situated for Hereford and the building was great, its a shame the staff treated us so badly, perhaps Groupon customers are not what they would like.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms very quiet
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends