“Going downhill again”

Beefeater Starting Gate
Ranked #142 of 256 Restaurants in Hereford
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Beefeater opened their doors back in 1974, and were driven by a passion for glorious steak. Mouth-watering cuts at mouth-watering prices was their motto. Reassuringly nothing's changed, these things still drive them today and they always will. Beefeater believe in two things, a warm friendly welcome and serving incredible steak that you can kick back, relax and enjoy. The Starting Gate was previously a Georgian private residence. Whether you're visiting Hereford Cathedral, Hereford Museum or the nearby Racecourse, make sure you stop by for a juicy steak
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We visited here as the last time we cam the food and service were great. Sadly things seem to have gone a bit downhill since then. The service was rubbish, we saw our waitress maybe twice throughout the meal. My food came out with the wrong accompaniment which i had to ask to get changed. The waitress suggested that the meat on the roast should be cooked medium to well which sounded a bit odd. When my wife's food did come out the roast beef consisted of mainly fat that was resistant to knives. We complained to the waitress about it but she didn't seem interested. I'd avoid this place as the food is overpriced for what you are receiving, go to the Cock of Tupsley instead, the food is average and the prices are cheaper.

Date of visit: May 2014
1  Thank Neil_Hanvey

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Called her for lunch and Ordered steak and burger and was told the steak would take 25 minutes to cook which I accepted even though should only take half the time! The burger was fine but my steak was very tough and don't think I will bother going to a Beefeater again as obviously all outlets will have the same supplier. Staff were fine and friendly

Date of visit: May 2014
1  Thank Minnie62
Reviewed 22 April 2014

If you want a steak, go to a Beefeater, well maybe.

The Flat Iron steak is the ideal size if you don't have a good appetite, but it has to be good quality, or marinated. My wife has good teeth so she managed to eat most of hers, but it isn't something that she would order again.

My Ribeye was order rare and arrived cold. The waiter took it back and it was re heated to medium rare and arrived with fresh chips. Not the best steak that I've had, but ok.

As compensation, we were offered complimentary desserts, which was a nice gesture and given without prompting, so "good service saves the day".

I'm of an age when Beefeater was THE place to go for a good steak. I don't know how well they do these days, but I won't be going back until l hear that the quality of the meat has improved to match the good service that we received.

Date of visit: April 2014
Reviewed 25 March 2014

We were staying in the adjacent Premier Inn for three nights and ate at the Beefeater for the first two - there's nowhere else near as far as I know.

It's years since we ate in a Beefeater & I didn't have high hopes. We had one starter, the salt & pepper prawns & I really enjoyed them. To follow, my wife had the grilled salmon, I had the veggie burger which was good. The so-called "ultimate" chips were unavailable but in fact my wife had them the next night & they were nothing special, not as good as some other frozen chips. We both really enjoyed our meals. An espresso to finish was OK.

We returned next night, the prawns were off but the waitress offered calamari which weren't on the menu & were really nice, tender & tasty. My wife had the grilled salmon again, I had the grilled tilapia with boiled potatoes which initially was lovely until I realised it wasn't cooked in the middle, When I pointed this out to our waitress (Emma), quick as a flash she said the cost would be taken off my bill and they'd do a new one. It turned out perfect.

Date of visit: March 2014
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Went to the starting gate tonight to try out the steak burgers on the new menu. The food came out quickly enough and they accommodated my fussy requirements (plain burger, etc). We got our drinks refilled quickly and the food was great. The only quibbles were that it was a bit cold in the part of the restaurant we were sat in and our daughters skinny fries were a bit crispy. I'd love to go back and try some more items on the new menu, better than the last time we went here.

Date of visit: March 2014