“Delicious .....”

Cuisines: Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 3 August 2015

I was very happy to re-visit the Oak at Staplow. The menu had changed but again good choices. The sea trout I had was excellent - beautifully cooked and presented and was a most delicious meal. My friend had the chicken pie which she said was tasty and very good. We also had some excellent wine. The atmosphere was friendly and the staff welcoming and attentive.

1  Thank lindtfan

Reviewed 26 July 2015

We Dined hear Saturday evening we have not eaten hear for 3-4 months as the chef had left & the new chef was not very good. However we heard that the food was very good, so we booked a table.On arrival the restaurant was not as busy as it used to be, We had a drink & we ordered our food My wife chose the Goats Cheese Beetroot Salad I had the Fresh Crab salad . When it arrived it was a CHUNK of goats cheese on a bed of salad with no beetroot to be seen my wife said to the waitress where is the beetroot? she went over to the NEW CHEF he just put some beetroot into bowl gave it to the waitress & walked off!!!! Not a brilliant start we thought. My Crab salad was very nice but i think they have extracted every last penny that they can from this dish £11.50 for a starter. I know white crab meat is expensive but i have had the same dish at £7.00 in another restaurant, the cost of this was in my opinion way overpriced. For mains my wife had the medallions of Fillet Beef this was very nice . I had the Rib Eye Steak this was nice some but.... The steak was no more than 20mm thick it says 10 oz that may be the case but for heavens sake if i wanted a steak sandwich that would have been ideal.It came with a Portobello Mushroom Half a Tomatoe & some salad Some seasonal veg would have made a big difference as would a steak that is cut a bit thicker than what i was served. We did not bother to have a sweet as we just thought i do not want to pay any more money than we needed to.
I know we all have to make ££ but if you do not get value then you will not go back, im thinking this is what is going on there. The staff are very nice the service is ok
I think the Oak was a superb eatery 4-5 months ago but now it has fallen which is a real shame. The cost of the food Ie starters & the steaks are just to expensive for what you get . I dont mind paying a high price for a good food ,but this was under par..The owner needs to look at this.. Sorry!!

Reviewed 14 July 2015

Attracted by the promise of good food, atmosphere and a dog friendly pub/ restaurant, we booked a table for dinner at the Oak Inn. It was a mid week evening, and not particularly busy, but it took the best part of an hour for our food to arrive. When it came, it was good, tasty fare. But the service was soooo slow, and light on apologies or explanations.
Dog friendly? Well yes they were allowed in the bar area and we were allocated a table near the front door. But no acknowledgement of the dogs and no space to lie down on the stone floor.

Reviewed 8 July 2015

We went here on the advice of our B&B on father's day. We were greeted by a very friendly waitress and given a table in the room where the kitchen was open to view. We enjoyed watching the chefs work very hard to produce a delicious meal for all the people there. My husband really enjoyed his seafood dish , a new dish on the menu. I also enjoyed my meal and we were very impressed by damson plum and sloe gin icecream we had for dessert.

Reviewed 24 June 2015

This is a fab part of the world. ...proper English countryside and a nice place to eat, especially as one of the waitresses comes from my part of the world Kent,. The last few visits have been a disappointment the food about a year ago was gggggreat but don't know if they have a new chef...but Gordon Ramsay he is not, it had been a long day and taking a client out for lunch we watch aghast as the Chef barked orders at the waitresses/barstaff. It took a while for our meals to arrive, for some reason the this place has had a strange refit something is different has happened here. The young lady a delightful girl from Kent always has a beaming smile and is always happy to serve us nothing is too much trouble for her, along with another pretty young girl who seemed to be a lets say a target for Gordon Ramsay. .A message for the management if I wanted to spent money at Hells Kitchen I would pay top dollar for Gordon what puts me off my lunch and my clients is watching some guy / bully shouting at the waiting staff. I have a lot business in this area and have popped into this place for years and feel its time to say something. If the chef put more energy into his food instead of shouting at the staff the food and atmosphere at the pub/inn would be 100 times better, in my job I always give 100% customer service..which I am pleased to say these girls gave infact, most times I have visited these two girls have been working. If you are going to have an open kitchen I suggest ...Gordon is put in a sound proof box, this is a country inn not some Michelin star eatery, about 18 months ago food was up to this standard now its pretty poor. Infact one of my clients took me to The Full Pitcher in near by Ledbury and I thought oh my god what is this place and the food and the service was fabulous. I would say the treatment of the girl that was being shouted at verged on bullying, if I was her I would not bother coming back..infact I am surprised both girls have not been snapped up by a competitor because I would hire them. If there is a landlord there I would say without a crew your ship will sink, if I am paying top dollar for food I expect it to be of the standard that matches the money I am paying you. Will we be back. not sure on this one, food standards are slipping, sort them out and we will think about coming back, and the waiting staff...if I was them I would jump ship because I felt we were on tbe titanic as your ship is sinking. I think this is the first time I have wrote an autobiography review, I normally fire off an e-mail.

3  Thank smeesnootyfox