“Amazing”

Cuisines: Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 1 September 2015

Recently my boyfriend and I stayed at The Oak Inn Staplow the rooms were absolutely amazing. We also ate in the restaurant where I had the steak which was fantastic.
The staff are all very friendly, efficient and the atmosphere is great.
Highly recommend The Oak.

3  Thank Lady345

Reviewed 29 August 2015

This is my first review on tripadvisor and for the very good reason that this is the first time that I have felt moved enough to do so.

On entering we were met with a friendly greeting before we even reached the bar. I'm a real ale man and the choice of Bathams, Wye Valley and Ledbury ales in a pub that majors on food made a good first impression. I went for the Ledbury Gold and it was in excellent condition,

The food was "very, very good". We only had olives and bread to start, but you know things are going to go well when even this is noteworthy. For mains, my wife had cod with a nicoise salad which went down very well and I had the pork belly which is ubiquitous these days but difficult to get just right. In this instance it was perfectly cooked with (separate) crackilng, smooth mashed potato, crispy vegatables and a croquette to die for. The croquette consisted of pulled pork, cheese and black pudding and is one of the most magnificent things that I have ever eaten.

It's a lovely pub, the service is friendly and very attentive, it sells good beer and the food is exceptional. We will be back.

3  Thank GLH58
Reviewed 22 August 2015

We've lived near The Oak for years but somehow never got round to trying it. After last night's meal, we'll definitely be back - and soon. Seeing the 15 plated cars parked outside, we were a little worried it was going to be posh and starchy. It wasn't. Friendly welcome, time to have a drink while studying the menu and then taken to a table in the restaurant. Looks like the pub is mostly set up for diners but there was a smattering of Friday night drinkers at the bar. Apparently, it's dog friendly too (not in the restaurant) and there's a nice garden outside if summer ever decides to make an appearance. Main courses were deceptively large and we were glad we'd shared a starter. Cod isn't the most exciting fish but added to chorizo and cooked perfectly, it was delicious. Husband had belly pork which he claimed was perfect. We shared a taster platter of the puddings - the chocolate brownie and salted caramel ice-cream was to die for, as was the strawberry frozen thing rolled in nuts. Service VERY attentive and friendly and we felt very looked after. It was our wedding anniversary and, had I known they do champagne and prosecco by the glass, I wouldn't have volunteered to drive! Loved how the pub is decorated too - really covet the chandelier and ornate mirrors, along with the usual pub paraphernalia. Lovely evening and one we're keen to repeat soon. Food is high end gastro pub style and it's nice to have that back in the area now The Three Crowns at Ullingswick is no more. Highly recommended - just watch the tight turn left when driving out of the car park. Thank you to everyone at The Oak for a very special experience.

3  Thank Georgia H
Reviewed 10 August 2015

The Oak was legendary for it's amazing chargrilled steaks & starter platters for the last few years. Popped in a couple of weeks ago & it seems that the chef has moved onto pastures new. Sadly the replacement isn't anywhere near as good and the food was "OK". Don't get me wrong, the owners are lovely, it's got great beer and the ambience is classic herefordshire country pub - but the food has lost that "I can't cook this at home, it's amazing" factor. Sadly I do think I could have done a bit better myself.

Please please get a better chef as there are lots of "average" food pubs around. The Oak was amazing.

3  Thank rovers666
woollee001, Owner at The Oak Inn Staplow, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2015

NO, THAT WASN'T OUR NEW CHEF - OUR NEW PERMANENT HEAD CHEF STARTED TODAY! Unfortunately, through no fault of our own, we have had to rely on a series of relief chefs - all pretty good but they didn't provide us with the necessary consistency. We're really sorry you didn't enjoy your meal as much as you had in the past - hopefully, if you come again, you will have the opportunity to give us a glowing review!

Reviewed 5 August 2015

We stayed at this B&B earlier in the year and were on our way to Somerset and broke the with Sunday lunch. Friendly greeting on arrival and as it was a lovely day asked if we wanted to take drinks into the garden, sit at the bar or go straight to our table. We decided to wander into the lovely garden and sat and had our drinks. We were offered menus and took our time.

We both had crab to start - excellent, fresh and I thought a generous portion. We then had the Sunday roast - which was superb. As we were driving we stayed on soft drinks but wine list was very good.

We mentioned that we couldn't be too leisurely as we were on our way to Somerset and service was very efficient.

1  Thank 123Baxter