“Without a doubt the best Sunday roast I have ever had”

The Oak Inn Staplow
Ranked #6 of 59 Restaurants in Ledbury
Cuisines: Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 5 October 2015

Whilst staying with friends for the weekend I was fortunate to be taken for Sunday lunch at The Oak. I had the Pork and it was without a doubt the BEST Sunday roast I have ever had. The staff were warm and welcoming and there was a fabulous atmosphere in the pub. I will definitely return to try their evening menu when I am next in the area.

1  Thank foodie90677

Reviewed 1 October 2015

busy on a Wednesday evening which is a good sign. Not totally convinced by the open kitchen view - when a large element of meals will be chips and other fried food the smell wafting over to where we were sitting was not ideal.

Service was ok but something did not feel quite right. Perhaps slightly patronising, unintentionally I hope. Portions decent size for starter, main and pud - latter felt slightly supersized in fact.

Has a strong recommendation locally.

Reviewed 19 September 2015 via mobile

What a great pub. Fantastic food. I had the tastiest chicken I've eaten in years with a perfectly cooked, well seasoned vegetable risotto. Good quality wine in proper glasses and not overpriced. Staff were very pleasant and helpful. Nice buzzy atmosphere. In all a very enjoyable evening. Will definitely be back.

1  Thank CChampers
Reviewed 7 September 2015

We stayed at the pub too and the rooms etc are just fine, more so really very nice with good views but the food is super super.
Not a huge choice to the menu but enough for most peoples tastes which makes it easier to choose in some ways. We stayed on a Friday and Saturday and the restaurant was busy from 6pm through 9.30/10; Last food orders around 9pm I think. A few specials on the board too. The kitchen is in full view of the tables, so the waiting staff actually pick the food orders up in full view of everybody and the chef is plating up under your gaze if you care to watch, or have a table closer to the area. There are other tables in the pub on the opposite side giving some seclusion to couples or small parties. The staff were all busy but helpful. The food is just lovely. The chef does a real great job. We had a mixture of mains and we were all very pleased with our choices. The puddings are very nice too. Again not a huge variation but some nice options and there is an option to have a taster dessert which we did try. It is a combination of most of the desserts on a single plate. Very good it was if you can't make up your mind! Wine choice fair enough and they had wines we normally drink (as in brand names) but of course a different price to the supermarket! All in all you won't be disappointed with the food. The pub itself is small really compared to many these days so even with say 30 people in there it feels full but from memory table seating is maybe about 50 plus a few tables in the bar area. Lots of locals in there which is always a good sign.

3  Thank gardaconvert
Reviewed 6 September 2015

we've not been to the Oak for a while now, so it was an obvious choice when a luncheon opportunity arose. Our mozzarella and tomato starter was just right with no frivolous greenery and full of zest. Our main course was slow-cooked belly pork. Cooked to perfection and superbly presented. A couple of pints of Ledbury Gold set the right scene, finishing with the usual Americano with hot milk. So good I had two!
The restaurant was surprisingly quiet for a Friday, and we sat in the big bow window watching the clouds scudding by. A very good and relaxing two hour lunch

1  Thank Pinkertonx