“Don't pay attention to the poor reviews” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Verzon Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ledbury
The Verzon Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Ledbury
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Don't pay attention to the poor reviews”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

I've been working around the Ledbury area for a few months, and had decided to try the Verzon House as it was so close to the office and it seemed far better value for money than any of the alternatives.
I'm so glad that I picked this hotel. I've stayed in 2 rooms so far and they were both stunning. It's good to stay in a hotel that provides a TV that you can actually see.
A lot of thought appears to have gone into the decor of the rooms and the beds were incredibly comfortable, so comfortable that I've been late for work twice :-)
The staff are excellent, very friendly and helpful.
The restaurant is great. Yes there can be a couple of minutes wait for your food, but what do you expect when everything is cooked from scratch. If you want to be served food 5 minutes after placing your order, you've been dining in the wrong places. A decent restaurant will take time to cook a meal, as it should. If you want to eat and run, go to mcdonalds. If you want excellent quality food, well cooked and presented then this is the place for you.
More people who eat or stay at this place need to get on here are leave their review, as the Verzon should be a lot higher up the rankings than it is.
I'm already working out how I can arrange things so that I can stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Comusat

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

Only commenting on the restaurant. We used to love this place, you could go there and be totally spoiled by great service and amazing food. Went since the change and was a let down. No one to really meet and greet, not shown to a bar table (or even directed), tables not cleared from previous people (drinks and snacks stayed on the table for ages, in the end I got annoyed and moved them myself). Took a long time to order drinks and get a menu. It was clear there were other people feeling the same - the atmosphere was odd.

The decor is random. They called it quirky I think, but it seemed like that was being used as an excuse to shove in random things, doesn't quite work yet, but maybe there is a rolling plan of changes.

Nice cocktails but couldn't help feel they trying to slip in as much cost as possible (jug of water for the table? Yes please. Still or sparkling? urmm??). The old place made you WANT to spend the money because you knew it was going to be amazing quality and impeccable service (whatever it was!).

Food was a mix. One of the mains was exceptionally good. I had the fish and chips, which was a boring order, but thought it would be the best fish and chips, turned out wasn't really. Was good, but not worth the cost, plus was really small which was a let down. In the end we didn't bother with desserts as we were a little heart broken.

Overall, it's not worth the trek from Malvern, especially with places like the Inn and Welland who can out compete them now. It used to be some of the finest dining you could get in the area, now it's struggling to justify the cost.

I really hope it's just teething problems as it's got such potential.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank NickM365
Ludlow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

I stayed for one night, and on arrival could not find a receptionist to book us in, eventually he turned up and we were shown to our room No 2, the bloody turk. My first impression was the room was small and a little tired, and I thought noisy from the road outside. The bathroom was clean and a good size, but had a very impractical toilet which was really high off the ground, and had a broken seat, which hit you in the back when seated on it. For the money which at £120 a night, I expected more.
The meal in the restaurant that night was very good and very tasty, but again quite expensive, the wine was from Chase vineyard and excellent to taste and value.
I thought the staff were very helpful, but seemed overworked, since the receptionist was also the bar lady and later the waitress. The lady booking me out in the morning, don't know her name, but seemed in charge, was thoroughly unhelpful, since when I asked for directions to Chase, she said turn right out of hotel, then right at lights, it was a little more complicated than that, and when I struggled to open the front door with her standing nearby, she did not help at all.
I would not repeat me visit, as far too expensive for what you get.

2 Thank Diane D
Hereford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

The Verzon has now changed tack and is re-inventing itself as a younger more chic restaurant-hotel. The outside still retains that Georgian elegance but once through the door strong paint colours soon wake one up. The bar has some interesting furniture including some expensive sofas and chairs. Felt very male in atmosphere but spotlessly clean - the special gin glasses are very attractive.

The food in the restaurant was good- and very well priced. Good quality ingredients which ensured that you felt well afterwards. The meat was very tender and had been cooked to perfection. The Queens pudding was ambitious and it was difficult to taste the rhubarb- as the balance was wrong. However, i ate it all! The glass of wine from a Chase vineyard was excellent.

I personally didnt think the farmhouse tables worked in the beautiful Georgian restaurant. The bicycle lamp shade would have worked better in the bar. Sure no one wants a stuffy environment to eat in but one also wants to escape to beauty rather than farmhouse chic.

One could detect from the enthusiasm of the young staff that this is an establishment that will continue to improve. I for one am looking forward to seeing the Verzon set the mark for good food in a beautiful setting.

hereford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

finally got round to booking a meal and so glad we did!!! Staff extremely polite and helpful. Lovely varied menu lots to choose from. Unusual dining room but a change from normal formal dining and fun ideas have been well executed!
i chose pea and mint soup absolutely the best i have ever eaten. delicious bread!!!! Chase burger to follow really tasty lovely chips had to leave a few to make room for pre planned queens pudding with rhubarb. all completely delicious. cant wait to return!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

Have passed this place many times & often commented on how nice it looks, admitted it does look like a country hotel, which it is but the restaurant is open to non residents. So an impromptu call to them set us up a table for 2 on a Friday night as I wanted to treat my wife. We were both surprised when we walked in to the warm welcoming atmosphere. The eclectic decor was to our taste, the staff were very attentive & knowledgeable. The menu has enough choice to have torn between dishes....the food was amazing from start to finish we couldn't believe what we had stumbled upon. Having moved from the Cotswolds where we had been spoilt for choice this is a welcome find & could not recommend it enough. It's not overpriced we thought? If you fancy fancy something a little special head for this place & let's help them them build on a much welcomed restaurant! Thanks to all at Verzon good job. P.s just a thought but is the signage right to bring people in & stop the driving past? Goodluck

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Clarke K
Gloucester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

Feel compelled to right this review on this Hotel, to spread the good word. living fairly local my wife and I had a night off from the kids, so as we had both been working very long hours lately we thought we would treat ourselves to a night at the Verzon. Food is magnificent, rooms are fabulous, and the service is excellent. Will definitely be back.

1 Thank MrD675
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ledbury
The Feathers Hotel
The Abbey Hotel
#6 of 10 in Malvern
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,079 reviews
Colwall Park - Hotel, Bar & Restaurant

Been to The Verzon Hotel? Share your experiences!