“Celebration Lunch”
Review of The Grandison

The Grandison
Ranked #13 of 103 Restaurants in Hertford
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Surrounded by rolling hills & lush forests the Grandison is ideally located for the perfect country retreat. Families, walkers, cyclists & dogs all find us a refreshing place to relax & re-fuel. We are open for lunch (12-3pm) & Dinner (6-9pm) from Tuesday to Saturday. Sunday lunch is served between 12-4pm with a traditional Sunday roast available along with a selection of our A la carte menu.
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Exam results came out and to celebrate success we went for a lunch to The Grandison. We were greeted by friendly staff who took us to our table. Drinks came quickly and our waiter took our order. Onglet steak ands Sea Trout were our choices.
The restaurant was fairly busy with a nice atmosphere. Our food arrived in good time and was a delight to the eye and palette.
Desserts of Trifle and Chocolate fondant along with lovely Latte coffees finished the meal off nicely. The trifle is huge so keep some space for it all :)

Reviewed 21 August 2014

We are dedicated foodies!
We are lucky enough to have eaten in 4 out of the 10 - "so-called" best restaurants in the world whatever that means - this is not written to impress, just to try and establish our credentials.

I remember my first Michelin Starred restaurant in Brussels way back before they even had Michelin starred restaurants.

As a humble Scotsman whose idea of gourmet food back then, was eating a Mars Bar without it being deep-fried in heart-attack-inducing, rancid, fish-encrusted GREASE I came back to my office foaming at the mouth and raving about how utterly amazing it was.

One of my associates - a surly Belgian (is there any other kind?) - turned up his jealous nose and said: "With all due respect, how can you compare if it is your first experience in a high-end gourmet restaurant?"

Of course he was right.

Forty years later - and almost as many inches around my waist - I think I am qualified to judge.

So when I say that I ate one of the most perfectly cooked pieces of pork I have ever eaten at The Grandison you can take my word for it.

bon apetit

1  Thank leslie P
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Went for dinner with friends having visited once before with a large party and receiving mixed reports. The bar, and terrace are very well decorated and maintained, it was nice to see no smoking on the terrace so you don't have to experience the detritus that smokers think it is their inalienable right to leave behind them. The restaurant although nicely furnished is a bit soulless and, as we found out, is not regularly patrolled by the very pleasant staff who tend to congregate at one end of the bar rather than being a 'presence' in the restaurant. The place was very busy considering it was mid week and that it is miles from anywhere, which is a clearly a definitive testament to the quality of the food and the surroundings. Just after we sat down we were informed that service would be slow as they had some large parties in, this would not have posed a problem had we seen someone occasionally who would offer us a drink, after over half an hour we had to go round to the bar to get one of the 4 waiting/bar staff who were lounging at the end of the bar to get us a drink. Our starters arrived about 45mins after we had sat down and everyone really enjoyed them. Main courses arrived after a respectable interval and once again everything was good. We didn't have desserts just 3 coffees which were very good, then came the bill. I hade been warned that the place could prove expensive, and to watch out for the 12.5% service charge, however the bill arrived with 'service not included' which is always welcome. However with a tip of just over 10% the bill came to just short of £200.00 for 2 courses, coffee, 5 drinks and 2 bottles of wine, and there lies the rub, we asked for a bottle of house red, we were given, according to the bill, a bottle of Merlot Reserva at £22.95, when we asked for another bottle they had run out of the merlot and offered a Montepulciano, which for some unaccountable reason was £2.00 a bottle cheaper than the house wine. In short the drinks are way over the top and I think the owners are confused about where they are, its a pub, albeit a very well appointed one, in the middle of nowhere but their prices, especially the drinks are on a par with many of the places I use regularly in the centre of London. I am not saying that any of the foregoing would stop me going there again, but I would probably not go as often as I could and may try lunch instead of dinner. The staff whilst really pleasant are less than attentive at times and clearly enjoy each others company, maybe a bit too much, and on a very personal note I could do without the 'what can I get you guys' Americanism's

2  Thank Graham C
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Had a really nice lunch at the Grandison. The menu is very "gastro pub" and the food delivered does not disappoint on the strong promise the menu makes.

Staff are attentive and the service was unhurried.

I can recommend the crispy goats cheese starter which was YUM.

Do book though as it did seem to be busy (but not over stuffed).

Reviewed 10 August 2014

The Grandison is one of the current ubiquitous gastro pubs which doesn't really hit the mark. The set up is nice, particularly on a sunny evening where it's possible to sit or eat in a small lawned area. The restaurant is small but well decorated, modern and clean.

The disappointment for me, having eaten there twice, is that the menu is very limited and bland, and I think the pie I had the last time we ate there was mass produced off site and heated in the kitchen.

In summary it's a nice enough place to go, perfectly pleasant staff, and set up but the food is nothing more than ok at best.

4  Thank foxyfoxholes