“Brilliant breakfast”

Price range: US$5 - US$16
Cuisines: Belgian
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Welcome to The Waffle House St Albans, located within a working 16th century watermill overlooking the river Ver. A family business since 1978, we specialise in sweet and savoury Belgian waffles individually cooked to order and using many organic and free-range ingredients. Come and enjoy a tempting selection of breakfast, lunch and afternoon/early evening waffle dishes, brought to you with our friendly, relaxed service.
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

We have visited the Waffle House twice now whilst holidaying in St. Albans. Once in winter and once in summer! We sat outside today on the chunky wooden seating. The setting is amazing and the service is good also.
I must apologise to the lady waiting on our drinks order I got a bit confused with it baby brain and all that.
I had the sausage, breakfast beans and cheese waffle which was amazing! I don't know what they do to their beans but they are simply divine! My husband had a sweet waffle, the Danish apple which he said was amazing. Everything about the place is great we passed back later after visiting the museum and people were queuing to get in! I can see why! Superb coffee and food and quality ingredients. Will be returning again x

1  Thank Kirsty A
Write a ReviewReviews (1,152)

Reviewed 24 July 2014

Seriously underwhelmed, took my 2 young children neither of which took more than 2 bites each, waffles were anaemic, assured cooked to order but stone cold and lacked any taste. Mentioned it to staff who gave two hoots.

6  Thank Flossie2012
Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

We ended up coming here twice in the two days we stayed at st Albans as it was sooo yummy!
I had homous fresh avocado and sweet chilli spelt waffle , it was all amazing, I just wish I had room for a sweet one!

Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Visited the Waffle House with my partner, my sister and my 4 year old son.

We all had sweet waffles and were lovely as usual.
We did have to wait quite a while to be seated as their was a massive queue but not a problem.

Only down side was that they don't have a children's menu, so for kids it's either have a full priced large waffle or have some of yours.
Thought this could be improved on as there were lots of children in there and something special for them would be good. Also £4 odd for a milkshake which isn't very big could be better.

If they improved and had a children's menu we would visit here more often but it's a bit of a waste for a 4 year old.

The_Waffle_House, Owner at The Waffle House, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review. Happy to hear that you enjoyed your waffles and suggestion noted about more appropriate provision for children; an area we are reviewing and working to improve.

Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

Lucky to get a table, very popular place even at 4pm. Enjoyed a chocolate and nut waffle, wish I had had enough room for a strawberry and ice cream one. Enjoyed the topping, didn't think the spelt waffle had a good deal of flavour. Can't eat the wheat ones so grateful there is an alternative though.

1  Thank Mintyburble

Thank you for your constructive comments. Good to know that you appreciated the option of a spelt (low gluten) waffle and found the topping tasty. If, on a future visit, anything is below expectation please do ask to speak with the manager on duty.