“I can't praise them enough!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Portland Arms

The Portland Arms
Ranked #82 of 325 Restaurants in St Albans
Price range: US$10 - US$18
Cuisines: British, Pub, Bar
Good for: Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Wheelchair Accessible
Slough, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I can't praise them enough!!”
Reviewed 1 December 2013

We had a family Christmas meal here today. We ordered from the normal Sunday menu, there was 19 of us and they accommodated us brilliantly. Neil was courteous, efficient and made things really easy for us.

The food really was excellent, to be honest we had expected average and were very pleasantly surprised that it was of such a high standard and at such a great price too. They were also thoughtful and accommodating for one of us with wide ranging food allergies. This meant a lot to us. They were also very tolerant of one or two noisy children, again this means a lot.
The inside is cosy, nicely decorated but doesn't feel over done in the boutique way so many pubs seems to have gone. I'm chuffed to pieces, they helped make an important family day go really well. Thank you!!

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank winniewooowah

luton
“So and so”
Reviewed 19 November 2013 via mobile

Typical fullers local pub. Cannot say that anything we ate or drank was anything special but also nothing at all was bad either. As I said a typical fullers with typical offerings. All in all 6/10

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank hammered70
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Best burger in Hertfordshire”
Reviewed 15 November 2013 via mobile

Great little pub, Neil and his staff are friendly and welcoming to everyone not just the locals - of which there are lots! Lots of locals is a great sign of a good pub.

The food is excellent. We both had burgers, freshly hand made and very tasty. Great "fat" chips, all well presented on slate - which was nicely warmed. I can honestly say its one of the best burgers I have ever eaten.

We will be back!!

2 Thank ksikthii
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The best place in St Albans. ”
Reviewed 31 October 2013 via mobile

I've been in St Albans 10 days with work, and being on my own in the evenings adventured out for dinner every night. I went to so high end restaurants, as well as low, and felt like a spare part and not welcomed. The Portland Arms have nice friendly staff, great food, they even had a jazz band playing in the corner. Truly a delight. The only problem I had, was that I only found them on my last night here.

1 Thank Adam W
Grand Cayman
“Lovely pub, terrible restaurant”
Reviewed 26 October 2013

Great ambience, great beer (it's a Fullers pub), homely decor. Proprietors trying very hard to keep out the riff-raff with little rules like no-one's allowed to drink out of a beer bottle - glasses only...go figure...

The staff are friendly and engaging...

...but the food is to be avoided.

My friend ordered the burger, and asked for it to be "medium rare". The response from our server was, "they like to do it well-done". They DID do it well done, and it was dry. Also they served it on a piece of slate, which was kinda cool...and totally impractical for trying to keep the food on the plate rather than the floor.

I ordered fish & chips, which was also a mistake. The batter was very thin and, on the underside, wet.

Our table, like most of them, was subject at busy time to having a fellow patron's butt in our face as they stood at the bar.

The proprietor had told us that they were primarily a pub, not a restaurant. As a pub I'd give it a 4 or a 5. As a restaurant though, 2 is generous...

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Aloofbob
neil d, Owner at The Portland Arms, responded to this review, 30 October 2013
Thank you for writing a review, we welcome all comments as we are able make constructive changes where necessary. I was a little surprised at being quoted out of context on a scenario from a different pub from over 10 years ago, it was purely 'pub banter'. I must remember little jokes sometimes get taken seriously, and I apologise for that.

Regarding the food that you ordered, I am sorry that you had a problem and that you did not bring this to our attention at the time so that we could have done something about it. You will see from many of the reviews that our food is very popular. I do hope that you can come back an enjoy another meal.