“Loved your B & B”

Ranked #11 of 15 St Albans B&B and Inns
Whiby Onanada
“Loved your B & B”
Reviewed 10 July 2012

Thank you to our hosts, Carol and Barry, for a wonderfull stay at 178 London Road in St. Albans. After travelling from Canada , and into our 2nd week in England, we were welcomed into a comfortable lodging, and a great breakfeast every morning. Our hosts couldn't do enough to make our stay most enjoyable, helping us with our travel arrangements into London by train, as well train arrangements back to Manchester airport to catch our flight, thanks for the ride to the train Barry!. We will definitely hope to be back to stay at this charming B&B and would hightly recommend it to anyone who stays in St. Albans, or for that much London, as an easy 20 min. train ride, with excellant service.
Keith & Vicki Whitby Ontario

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Keith Vicki O

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Widnes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2012

Stayed here on business. We booked the self catering apartment for 2. When we arrived we found out that it was actually for 3. My colleague and I had a random stranger in the room below us who either had a hearing defect or a broken volume control on his television. The place was clean and well equipped and in a nice area with some good local pubs surrounding the area. Overall, I guess that I would recommend it to business travellers looking for good value self catering accomodation. On the last morning I was shocked to have the cleaner let herself in at 7.30am just as i was about to step into the downstairs bathroom for a shower, dressed in nothing but a towel! Rather than make an embarrassed apology and clear the hell off, she began hoovering and cleaning under our feet before we had even checked out! My colleague and I were unable to make ourselves a cup of tea or breakfast (with a 16 hour day ahead). We left thinking did that just happen!!?? - is this normal practice? It was a very bad end to a stay that would otherwise would have earned a very decent review!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank ian_b_01499523
west sussex, uk
Reviewed 28 June 2012

Very much enjoyed our stay here. The house was immaculate, very pretty, spotless and lovely and warm ( aga heated :)
Our bedroom was very cosy, lovely comfy bed, television, DVDs, t/c facilities and lovely tin of biscuits :)
Although the b& b is on a main busy road, noise was not an issue.
Only one bathroom for the 3 rooms to share but this did not cause any problems. Robes provided in the room incase of late night bathroom visits . We didn't hear the other guests apart from after breakfast when people were leaving.
Now breakfast.... Yummmmmmm!!! The best sausage we have ever tasted!!! They are made from a family members pigs that graze in a forest! Wowwww!!!
Parking is on the side street and was not a problem for us. There is space for maybe 3 cars.
The owners are extremely friendly and chatty, they made us very welcome.
All in all a lovely stay and would highly recommend .

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Kerrynj
St Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2012

My parents really appreciated the friendliness of the owners and the cleanliness of this place.
The house is big and very well decorated, located in a quiet area and is great for relaxing.
The rooms are beautifully decorated and the service is great.

Breakfast is delicious and plentiful.
The owners are always there if you need them and will always brighten your day.

It is ideal if you want to explore St Albans and/or London since it is close to the main railway station.

Would definitely come again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Niki_Stoychev
Visalia, Ca USA
Reviewed 12 June 2012

Excellent value for very clean accommodations, very comfortable beds and great attention from the owners and the housekeeper. We stayed while visiting my daughter who lives in St. Alban's. She had just had a baby and I came to help and also do a little traveling.Her home is very small like the typical English starter home.Staying at the self serve flat was a good choice, near the town center and train center,near 2 neighborhood pubs, great for a quick lunch or breakfast if you want to eat out. 20 mins to London by train. Barry ( owner) and Barbara (housekeeper) were very attentive, always checking to see if we needed anything.Comfortable,clean and reasonably price, you can't go wrong! I will plan on staying there again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank susan k
vaucluse, france
Reviewed 14 May 2012

I live overseas, but am regularly in the UK. I usually like staying in b and bs and farm stay accommodation. I research them with care and in the past seven years, in dozens of visits, I have had only three disappointments. This was one of them, this last weekend.

I have checked the reviews on this site since they helped to guide me to choose this b and b. I think they are very misleading.

We were offered an apartment because the main b and b could not take us. It is in a scruffy terrace off London Road. Its only advantage was that it was near the town centre.

At a first quick glance, the apartment seemed to be equipped as promised. At a second glance, it was clear that just about everything was old, worn, chipped, cracked, stained (including chair seats...ugh!). The fake wood floor was pitted with blackened nicks and scratches. The windows - on a lovely May weekend when it would have been good to look out at the weather - were dirty, and further obscured by grimy net curtains. The window in the bedroom I used was bolted shut, so no chance of fresh air. .

The kitchen was the worst, with stained pine cupboards, the handles and doors of which were sticky to the touch...A small notice-board displayed a few grease-spattered advertisements, some out of date. There was an odd assortment of old, very used-looking plates, cups, etc. We hadn't planned to cook much, but I boiled a kettle and sterilised a few items just in case we felt like eating breakfast there (a sliced loaf, fruit and the remains of some jars of jam had been provided to fulfil the breakfast part of the "b and b" arrangement). Apart from an attempt at a cup of tea, however, we decided to boycott the kitchen, and ate everything, including breakfast, out in town.

The loaded mouse-traps on the floor by the fridge (no attempt to hide them!) were off-putting...

It occurred to me that this might be one of those apartments used by local councils to house people in transit, or in need of shelter, with the owners renting it for b and b when the council doesn't need it. Though I think councils are usually obliged to meet higher standards when they accommodate people.

There was no parking or car spaces, other than the municipal car park opposite the property (eight pounds fifty a day).

This accommodation might appeal to those who are looking for very cheap accommodation (which I wasn't). Six men occupied the apartment (meant for four) above ours over the weekend: presumably this was a cheap deal for them. These men weren't vocally loud, but the comings and goings of the six of them on the creaky staircase that ran over our apartment were most noticeable. This was an additional reason to stay out of the apartment most of the weekend, as we did.

What a dismal place. Even the DVDs, admired as an "extra" in one of the reviews already on this site, were all pirated. The whole place had a low-life feel to it.

I would certainly not recommend it.

Room Tip: I don't recommend this accommodation.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank vmharris
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 20 April 2012

We stayed in the apartment/ flat a short walk down the road. It was old, but kept very well and kept pristine clean. We were a group staying their over a weekend for a wedding close by in Sopwell house and location wise it was perfect. Think it cost £4 to get a taxi each way! It was about a 10 mins walk from St Albans train station.
Seperate entrance with kitchen and bathroom. It was small but very practical and exactly what was required. The proprietor had even gone to the trouble of getting in fresh bread for us along with milk, jam, cereal and jams- perfect! One thing I would say is that the rooms are all twin so if you're a couple you must sleep alone- but that's certainly not a deal breaker. I can't say how thrilled we were with the cost- between a few of us it worked out at about £50 for a 2 night weekend stay- can't say fairer than that for St Albans- FYI beautiful area with lots and lots of cafes, shops, bars and restaurants. Eventhough you're close to all this the apartment is nestled away on a quiet street which is ideal for a good night sleep ;-).. Would highly recommend a stay here!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family