“holyday”
Review of 178 London Road

178 London Road
Ranked #11 of 15 St Albans B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 February 2013

We are an italian couple who stayed in one of the self-catering apartments for one month in december 2012 prior to movie into rented accomodation.We were confortable, very well looked after and Barbara the housekeeper cleaned every day and even did our laundry. We were supplied with a continental breakfast but extra food was provided- fruit etc.; and we were able to cook all other meals. Barry, the Landlord, was extremely kind and helpful and even helped us to move to our new home when we left! A convenient location, close to the town and station. We would reccommend this place. we were there very well.

Room Tip: The room is very quite and confortable.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Francesco V

Reviewed 31 January 2013

I stayed in one of these. It wasnt expensive, but even at the rate, I didnt think it was particularly impressive. The beds were shonky second had items and very uncomfortable. The bathroom with shower was tired and parking was pay and dispaly in the car park opposite- no free parking. I think customers could do better looking elsewhere.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Brewster101
178LONDONROAD, Owner at 178 London Road, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2013

I am very sorry that this guest was so disappointed with their stay. I must however dispute the state of the beds - the mattresses in the self-catering properties were all replaced with brand new ones in the last six months, and certainly before September 2012. The accommodation is almost in the town centre which most guests find a bonus, and therefore parking is mostly to be paid for, and the fact that there is a pay-and display car park right opposite (which is free from 6.30 p.m until 7.30 a.m.) is found to be convenient by most guests. We freely admit that this is budget accommodation, but it is clean and comfortable.

Reviewed 19 January 2013

We are a family of 3 from overseas and we spent a week in St.Albans during Christmas time to meet our son living there. I chose the self- catering solution because it was the best solution for us to spend more time together. If I had read all the reviews until the bottom, especially those regarding the self-catering apartments, I would have understood what was expecting us. Unfortunately I just read the –excellent-reviews regarding the B&B in 178 London Road and these eventually appeared to be very misleading. The immediate impression I got at the first glance was that it was a dismal place. Everything was poor but worst of all dirty. There was a terrible nasty smell all around the rooms. The curtains, the bedspread appeared all than immaculate and even the bed sheets of my room offered me great doubts of cleanness. In the kitchen everything was sticky and greasy to the touch.
The booking confirmation clearly reported daily cleaning, apart from Christmas and Boxing Day. As we did not see the housekeeper even the day after Boxing day, I asked for explanations and I was told that during holidays time they prefer to leave guests free without disturbing them. I appreciate the good intention but it would have been enough to clear the matter before and offer guests the possibility to clean the flat by themselves. Unfortunately the only cleaning kits we were able to find was a mucky broom. Besides, when we returned home that evening, we realized that the beds had been made…but nothing else. The bathroom had not been cleaned nor the table with bread crumbs.
As for breakfast arrangements included in the price, a sliced loaf, milk, some poor rotting fruit and the remains of some jars of jam in the fridge had been provided! In the biscuit box and cereals packages, we found old and fusty biscuits and cornflakes that I immediately threw in the rubbish bin because uneatable. This was extremely disappointed for me as I had read the reviews referring about the wonderful breakfast offered by the house in the main BB.. The rooms were small and filled with furniture. The cupboard unusable because full of blankets. We had been lucky because we were only the 3 of us in the apartment otherwise it would have been awful having to share the space and the bathroom with other people. Thus, I have to echo the bad comments I read on this self-catering accommodation and I would certainly not recommend it.

3  Thank reneecolla
Reviewed 15 January 2013

We are a family of five, from overseas, and we had the pleasure to stay a week with a very helpful and friendly couple: Barry and Carol.
We couldn´t have had a better welcome. 178 London road, full of great atmosphere, very confortable and extremely cosy. Congratulations!!!
Diogenes and Elizabete´s family

Room Tip: Great Location
1  Thank Elizabete S
Reviewed 18 December 2012

This is a really homely bed and breakfast in a grand georgian property with lovely old fashioned furnishings which are extremely comfortable. The hosts are friendly and helpful which is critical with any B&B. The breakfast was excellent, freshly cooked hot breakfast with a wide range of continental options too. The only downside is that the rooms are not en-suite but then its hard for this type of property to be converted to allow for this. The private bathroom is huge and well appointed and as we were the only guests staying we had it to ourselves, but had the place been full, then it may be a different story.
We'd definitely stay again!

2  Thank K500DCB
Reviewed 16 December 2012

We stayed there for 4 nights during December and we felt like at home
Really nice victorian house, so warm and comfortable in winter...!!
Barry and Carol are going to help you in everything and Barry prepares delicious english breakfast
We will come back for sure
St Albans is also a really good place to relax after a long day in the city of London.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Noemi D
Reviewed 18 October 2012

Stayed two nights in Sept 2012. Beautiful old but updated house with a nice comfortable bed. Convenient to the train station and only a 15 minute walk to the Abbey. The only let down were the Breakfasts that were just your standard English full and at the margin of acceptability. Overall I would stay here again, but might ask for a reduced rate and no breakfast.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the main road could be noisy in the AM if the window isn't shut.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo