“Lovely B&B, would highly recommend!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of 178 London Road

178 London Road
Ranked #11 of 16 St Albans B&B and Inns
England
“Lovely B&B, would highly recommend!”
Reviewed 10 November 2013

What a beautiful home, we only stayed a night while attending a wedding nearby but would highly recommend it, very comfortable room, wonderful bathroom, friendly owners and a great breakfast selection - many thanks!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank clairejl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
burgos
Reviewed 14 October 2013

There are 3 locations altogether. I was in Albert Road about 5 minutes walk from the main residence. It's a small house with a toilet, kitchen and one room downstairs and two rooms upstairs. It was clean but basic and that was also the opinion of another guest who I was chatting with. I think we both expected a little more but all in all it wasn't bad. I'd go back but there is better value for the same price out there.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
178LONDONROAD, Owner at 178 London Road, responded to this review, 18 October 2013
In response to this review we would point out that the address the guest stayed in was 69 Albert Street. The "toilet" is in fact a bathroom with a power shower. We state that this is budget accommodation, but also included is free wi-fi and unlimited continental breakfast plus full cooking facilities. For the price we believe it is good value for St. Albans where it would be difficult to find this type of accommodation for less, and we are not sure what "a little more" means!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 October 2013

...And I've stayed in quite a few in the UK and in Europe!

My (then) pregnant wife and I stayed in this B&B in March of this year (2013) to have one last mini break before the arrival of our baby. We thoroughly enjoyed St. Albans, but we also thoroughly enjoyed this B&B...so much so that it was a struggle to actually leave it to go and explore St. Albans! The house itself is immaculate, really really big and spacious and has a lovely welcoming feel to it. The room we stayed in was absolutely lovely, very big, clean and had a bed that makes you feel like it's cuddling you as you sleep! Breakfast was excellent, we didn't need to eat another meal until much later in the day! And lastly the hosts...they were a very lovely, welcoming and generous couple. We were made to feel very comfortable and welcome in their home. They were also very knowledgeable in terms of things to do in St. Albans and places to go and eat which was very helpful as we had done very little research prior to going to St. Albans.

Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay in this B&B and would definitely recommend it. Should we ever be fortunate go back to St. Albans for an overnight visit, we know which B&B we will check first for vacancies.....

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sol o
St Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 October 2013

My mom and I were staying at the B&B for 2 weeks before I moved into a more permanent place. The owners helped us with a lot of things, finding our way around in St Albans and settling in (coming from overseas, we had a lot of stupid questions...). The B&B is absolutely lovely and the location is great. Our room was very clean, as was the bathroom and rest of the house. And breakfast was amazing!! (Wish someone would cook this kind of breakfast for me every day)
I highly recommend this place to anyone and will most definitely book in my parents/relatives/friends when they are visiting from overseas.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank rs32013
london
Reviewed 29 September 2013 via mobile

Firstly, I'd like to say I wish if this review had an option for no stars rating as giving this property one star is too much! We have booked self catering property for two nights last week... This was booked 2 months in advance as we have had wedding in St. Albans to attend. We were 4 adults and 2 year old child. We wanted self catering apartment as we wanted a comfort because of the child and felt it would be nicer for 4 us to spend this time together. We have arrived on Thursday afternoon only to be told that they had problems with our property (it was apparently flooded) and were offered stay in 3 star hotel up the road at their cost... This was extremely inconvenient as we had purpersly comes day before so we can get ready in the morning for the wedding. We've had no option but to stay at this hotel which was very far from St. Albans centre! In the morning we were moved to their "cottage" which in fact is hilarious way to describe that tiny old dirty place. The "cottage" was very very dirty with distinctive smell of mould and dirt! The cleaner was there cleaning the property from previous guests which was very inconvenient considering that the place is tiny and that we had to get ready for the wedding that morning! The washing machine was on washing the laundry ... There were dirty sheets everywhere and the kitchen was all extremely dirty, greasy and sticky! The cleaner seemed very annoyed and moody that we were around to the point that we had to ask her to leave the property for an hour until we go off the the wedding... She came back in half hour let herself in and continued with her cleaning ... So we had to ask her again to leave until we have left... She was very rude and just walked put leaving the main door wide open... She did come back later ... But bathroom was not cleaned and to be honest I truly hope that those sheets were changed as they were very creased and dirty. She did not empty the very full rubbish bin wait her! If we were not in the rush to go the wedding there is no way that we would have stayed in that tiny dirty place! I have only noticed in the morning that in the front garden of the house there were dirty laundry baskets everywhere right next to the rubbish bins! Our friends stayed in the apartments next door and have equally bad experience with having to share kitchen and barghroom which was not mentioned in their original booking! I think that the owners of these properties are misleading self catering guests by only placing photos of their 178 London rd property and not showing true pictures if their awful self catering accommodation! I have been to many self catering apartments around the world but have never experienced such awful experience... It would have been helpful if they contacted me or replied back to my emails prior to our arrival and let me know about complications of the apparent flooded apartment as we would defentely not stay here ... Which really would have helped as we wouldn't have had such awful experience... I don't think that I will ever forget that awful dirty smell throughout the house... In fact I certainly think that these self catering apartments should be inspected for health and safety issues as they are truly hazardous!

• Stayed September 2013
3 Thank Sasa00
178LONDONROAD, Owner at 178 London Road, responded to this review, 2 October 2013
I am very sorry that this guest's expectations were not met on this occasion, but must take issue with some of the points made.

Firstly, it was due to circumstances beyond our control (a flood from the bathroom in the accommodation she should have had in a separate property next door) that we had, at very short notice, to move her into a hotel for the first night. Because she wished to arrive at 9.00 a.m. the following day, and whilst we realise that she needed to get ready for a wedding, our housekeeper had been unable to get all the cleaning and washing finished, and moved baskets of laundry into the garden to make space. Normal check-in time is obviously a lot later in the day, by which time all would have been completed.

The cottage is small, it is Victorian, but it does not smell of mould! And there are pictures on our website.

We have been running the business for over 10 years, and most guests are very happy with the self-catering accommodation, which is budget priced and does not pretend to be luxurious although it is cleaned each week day as the guest saw.

Finally, the guest's friends who stayed next door booked through LateRooms, which clearly state that the rooms in the apartments are let individually at times, but in their case they had sole occupancy and did not have to share the kitchen and bathroom facilities.
Woking, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2013

This was my first visit to St Albans and I was greeted with a warm welcome at no. 178...My accommodation was located a short walk from the actual guest house (about 5 minutes away) - a small cottage with three bedrooms and shared communal facilities. Each room had TV/DVD and there were DVDs and books/magazines provided for guests. A continental breakfast was provided and there were facilities available for self-catering.

Based on its location to the town centre, for what I paid (£40) it seemed to represent moderate value for money. Situated next to a small roundabout and in the locality of two pubs a considerable amount of noise came from the street. The walls/ceilings were also rather thin - I could hear the person in the room downstairs. Despite all this however I had a good nights sleep in a comfortable bed and woke-up feeling refreshed.

Although the rooms are furnished quite nicely there are a number of things that are lacking...There were no robes or large bath-towels provided despite the lack of en-suite facilities and the bathroom being located on another floor, cushions were scattered in the bedroom without covers, a collection of table fans had been piled on top of the wardrobe and the stairs were without a hand-rail on both sides. Wood-chip wallpaper on the ceiling and flaking paintwork also left something to be desired, as did the general cleanliness of the kitchen area.

All in all this has the feeling of a project that has potential but is not quite there yet...I believe it's certainly a holiday-home in the making but at the moment it's only just passing muster as a guest-house. Don't discount this as an option however as it is still a reasonable choice for the more budget-minded traveller. I met the proprietors Carol and Barrie and they were clearly working hard to make the cottage more liveable (cleaning and painting)...They seem like the right people to give this place the love and care it warrants since it is evidently a property that has genuine character. I'm sure that time (and reviews to follow) will tell how successful they've been and I for one wish them luck.

• Stayed May 2013
3 Thank MRonaldSmith
Reviewed 19 May 2013

We ended up staying here for about four months, while my wife worked a short term contract in Luton. It is conveniently located for commuters to London, about eight minutes walk to the station. There are several decent pubs nearby and St Albans centre is also a short walk. Plenty of take away options too.

The rooms were comfortable and cleaned every couple of days or so. Breakfast was cereal, toast and jam, and fruit (bananas, apples and satsumas). Kitchen was well equipped so we could cook our own food and so on. We appreciated the electric heaters during the freezing winter, although the warms were usually well heated from the central heating.

The bathroom has a nice strong shower which was great to wake up with in the morning.

Barry is a great host, friendly and had good advice about St Albans. He would pop in now and again to check we were ok and well supplied etc.

Overall the self catering rooms are a really good option for people who are working for a short period in the area, we had a lovely time in St Albans and would recommend staying to anyone.

• Stayed October 2012