“Shared bathroom”
Review of 178 London Road

178 London Road
Ranked #12 of 15 St Albans B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 August 2014

178 London Road is very well located for anything in St Albans (in our case, a wedding) and for the station which takes you straight in to London. The room was comfortable and well equipped and the breakfast, which we had with other guests, was delicious and flexible - we arrived 20 minutes late but with no problem at all. The bathroom is shared which I was not expecting (the website makes no mention of a bathroom and I just assumed it was en suite) and this was a problem in the morning. The B&B has higher standards than a hotel in some areas and if you are used to this kind of accommodation I think it would be a very enjoyable place to stay. However if you are usually happy with hotels, as I am, I would not recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

First rate just what we need when working out of town
The people who run it are frendly and very helpfull would recomend it to any one !
Grate location near shops restarrants and pubs???
The place is cleaned dayly and is well maintaind and smartley decorated and the beds are comftable for a good nights sleep?

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We booked three rooms in the B&B for our short stay in St. Albans. The house was perfectly clean with luxuriously furnished rooms. The breakfast provided a generous selection of hot and cold foods. The location was ideal (roughly 15 minutes by foot to Verulamium Park).

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
178LONDONROAD, Owner at 178 London Road, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

What a lovely group - two sisters and their family. They were a pleasure to have staying with us and we hope they return soon

Reviewed 24 June 2014

Booked with an early notice for working needs, they had been extremely friendly and also helped me to find an alternative room during a day when they had not availability.
last day I had also been upgraded to a double room.
Great breakfast that may satisfy the needs of continental and british guests.
Thanks again for the nice stay
Alessandro

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

We thank this guest for his kind remarks and would add that he was the perfect guest in every way!

Reviewed 16 June 2014

We rented a room in the apartment of this B and B and were delighted not only with great location, quiet street, fully equipped kitchen and bathroom and light, spacious bedroom with TV,Wifi,DVD and hairdryer. A large breakfast choice was supplied and we will most deffinitely be returning. Thank you.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Had a brilliant stay, beautiful house, welcoming and friendly hosts. We would definitely stay again as the room and facilities was spotless and well worth the money spent. It is in an ideal location as we had spent the day in London and saw the lion king therefore being close to the station was perfect for us.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 May 2014

I had booked this accommodation months in advance knowing my step son and his girlfriend had committed to coming to the uk from the United States.
I had booked accommodation in Edinburgh, Dublin, This one in St Albans and Glasgow.
This accommodation spoiled their holiday and left me £253 out of pocket.
We arrived at the accommodation at 7pm, on arrival the owner met me and said that I had only booked one twin room and there were no spare rooms.he half heatedly said he would try and ring the quality inn hotel just up the road from his hotel. He said" They are not answering their phone" now a hotel that doesn't answer seemed suspicious to me.
He the said he had separate accommodation but there was a man living in one of the two rooms, he said the man could be moved and the four of. Us could get the two rooms. We followed him to the accommodation, on arrival he asked us to remove all footwear, a bit surprising as the carpet was not that clean!
We then had to ascend a steep narrow stair to the smell do cooking, the gentleman who was getting evicted, was making his evening meal.
My wife felt very uncomfortable with the whole situation.
The room seemed basic but as we were meeting my cousin and her daughter we left to give the owner time to do what he had to do.
I went to the local pub just 200 yards from the "apartments". We then decided we were not going to stay, so I had to book anything I could at 9 pm at night, to the detriment of £253.
My wife returned to tell him at 9pm that we were not staying but even then the rooms were not ready.
We travelled to Hemal Hemstead and booked into a Premier Inn, we then tried to. Call Late rooms who we booked through but their phone lines had closed.
1. I would never ever book with this hotel again
2. I will never use Late rooms again,

They totally washed their hands of any problem saying it was between the hotel and me.
The hotel admitted they were wrong but I am still £253 out of pocket.

DO NOT BOOK WITH THIS ACCOMODATION

Room Tip: Book somewhere else
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank GWTopping
178LONDONROAD, Owner at 178 London Road, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

I am afraid we were expecting this type of report from this guest.
First and foremost we apologise profusely for our mistake in booking only one twin room instead of the two requested having misread the LateRooms booking form, and we wholeheartedly accept responsibility for this.
However having started off on the wrong foot we tried to remedy the situation, but despite our best efforts nothing seemed to please our guests. We asked the guest already in the second twin room to move to our B&B for the two nights, which he was more than happy to do - no question of "evicting" him!
My husband then set about cleaning the apartment while the guests went out to dinner. As he had just finished, the wife of the complainant returned and told him they would not be staying so it is unfair to brand the apartment appalling since they did not spend any time in it. The accommodation is basic but clean and is budget-priced accordingly.
The guest had mistakenly booked self-catering having meant to stay in our B&B, so all round this was a big disappointment to him for which we are sorry. He refers to us as a hotel which we patently are not.
To blame LateRooms in any way is also not fair, as the mistakes were his in booking self-catering accommodation, and ours in omitting to book two rooms, not theirs.