“A lovely find”

The Secret Garden Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 6 April 2014

We stumbled across The Secret Garden whilst visiting St Albans and popped in for tea and cake.. We went on a Saturday morning and I asked for Earl Grey Tea which they did not have,not good for a cafe, so we ordered English Breakfast tea instead together with a piece of Carrot Cake which was really delicious. A lovely find and we sat outside in a little courtyard garden enjoying the Spring sunshine. Staff were friendly. We look forward to going back again.

There are newer reviews for The Secret Garden Cafe

Reviewed 5 April 2014

Lovely relaxed atmosphere with attentive, friendly staff.
I ordered a cooked breakfast of sausage, two rashers of bacon, black pudding, fried potatoes and mushrooms, all cooked to perfection. Although full, I was tempted by the lovely cakes on offer.Being a home baker I am very critical of the quality of cakes sometimes served up but I was not disappointed here with my choice of carrot cake. My friends ordered sandwiches which looked delicious and were generously filled followed by a selection of cakes, chocolate and orange, lemon and coffee and walnut.
I would recommend you search out this gem in St Albans and save some room for the cake! Looking forward to my next visit.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

Having visited for the first time on a Saturday afternoon I will not be returning. We were told the food would be a 20 minute wait which was acceptable as they were busy - this was not the case however and it turned up after about 45 minutes and after asking several times where our food was.

The food - two tuna and sweetcorn bagels - was exceptionally bland and unpleasant. The staff didn't seem to know what they were doing and overall we were very disappointed with what was touted at the 'best kept secret in St Albans'.

Reviewed 6 February 2014

My wife and I love this restaurant, tucked away in one of the most picturesque streets in St Albans. The welcome is warm and friendly, the food is hearty and generous and the owner is charming (despite his unfortunate love of Arsenal!)

Give it a try - you'll be pleased that you did.

Reviewed 22 December 2013 via mobile

Tucked away, quiet spot. Lovely paninis and cakes. Would definitely go back again. Nice little outside area as well which would be good in summer months.

2  Thank 79sgrif