“Good service, good location”

Clarion Collection Hotel St. Albans
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in St Albans
Preston, United Kingdom
“Good service, good location”
Reviewed 2 September 2014

I stayed here for two nights at the end of August 2014 with my wife and son. Plenty of room in our hotel room, very quiet hotel (I went on a weekend too), even the doors had a soft-closing action to keep the noise at a minimum. I never heard anyone whilst in the room.

The staff were friendly, helpful and attentive - the decor was nice and upto date with many character features, the bar area was nice too - not big - but comfortable. I was impressed with the breakfast range too since they had childrens cereals which suited my son.

The bad news is that even though the Hotel has a great location in St Albans with Cafe Rouge right next door you may struggle with parking, but all of central St Albans has that problem and the hotel has three car parks in total - one right next door - one in a residential area around the back and one that's part of a public car park that's about a 2 minute walk away.

Another thing to note is that the area is virtually in the centre of St Albans, so it's quite built up - there are houses and pubs very close to the hotel. I had no problem with this and it didn't bother me - but given that my hotel room window looked out onto the brick wall of the side of a house about 2 metres away it made me wonder what the other hotel rooms open out onto.

All in all though, there were no negatives to my stay - I knew where it was and what I wanted before I booked and it more than lived up to my expectations ;)

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Matthew J
Trevor B, Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel St. Albans, responded to this review, 8 September 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent stay with us on Tripadvisor.

I am happy to read that you were pleased with our facilities and service, and that we made you and your family welcome.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next visit.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Camberley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 September 2014

We recently spent the weekend in St Albans in order to attend a wedding in the Cathedral. The hotel was very conveniently situated and provided all we could have wished for - comfortable room, handily positioned near the car park for loading and unloading, plentiful buffet-style breakfast. We particularly appreciated having hot chocolate available in both bedroom and dining room, as well as the usual coffee and tea. Only problem was with the toilet flushing mechanism but this was extremely swiftly remedied when reported.

Room Tip: Ground floor has easy access to car park
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent stay with on Tripadvisor.

Your comments are extremely positive, I am happy to read that you were pleased with our facilities and service.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next visit.
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2014

In the past two weeks I have stayed at this hotel on business twice, on both occasions I found the hotel room spotlessly clean as well as the bathroom. The room came with all the amenities you would expect of a modern hotel. The buffet breakfast was well cooked and presented with quality sausages.
The staff were very friendly & helpful.
This is a city centre hotel and as such the parking is very limited, however the hotel does have its own larger car park about a 5-7 minute walk away.
Would I say here again - I already have!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay. I am pleased it was suitable for your needs whilst you were visiting.
Your comments are extremely positive, and I am delighted that you have already been back -
we look forward to welcoming you again on your next visit.
Reviewed 26 August 2014

We stayed in this hotel as there is very little choice in central St Albans. On arrival the man at reception was helpful and very friendly. Our room was in the basement and our window directly faced a brick wall less than a metre away. We did not feel our room was properly cleaned and in the bathroom -floor tiles were not fixed securely - needing you to take caution of where to stand and where not to. For the standard price we payed the room we had was definitely not worth the price and in need of repair in places.

• Stayed August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent stay with us on Tripadvisor, and for the positive comments about the welcome you received.

I am sorry that there were a couple of areas of dissatisfaction, which I understand have been addressed directly with you.
Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

Hotel interior was fine, staff good, free parking inconvenient ( had to return to hotel to get chef to move his car as it was parked so close I couldn't open my door) and 6 foot outside level with the window of room 209 is the staff rest/smoking area for the pub next door, some interesting conversations overheard but little privacy, shame.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends

Our team are here to ensure you have a comfortable stay and we are always happy to offer any additional help you may require. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and offering your valuable feedback.
Launceston, Australia
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

We had a great stay here. Good layout with 2 interconnecting rooms & well located to wander the town. Only downside was parking not onsite however not too inconvenient. Staff were very friendly, particularly the breakfast staff. Breakfast great too!

Stayed August 2014
Thank you for commenting on how you enjoyed your breakfast and your stay. I am pleased it was suitable for your family needs whilst you were visiting.

We look forward to you welcoming you back.
Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

Great location, great breakfast and great service. It Was nice to come and relax after a hard day of work. The neighborhood was quiet. The room was spacious and very comfortable. Reception was always friendly and willing to help with anything I asked for. Would recommend.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent stay with on Tripadvisor.

Your comments are extremely positive, I am happy to read that you received great customer service as our team work hard to ensure they offer excellent customer service and that high standards are delivered to each guest.