Lowest prices for your stay
Priceline
£120
Go to your Happy Price
All reviews car park cafe rouge clarion hotel minute walk brick wall central location nice hotel centre of town the ground floor good size bed was comfortable checking in twin room full english night's sleep cathedral st
Selected filters
Reviewed 1 January 2024 via mobile

Terrible experience you always receive from Hilton
Park a mile from the hotel, no water in the room
Over rated and overpriced
Nothing special and would have got better value staying elsewhere
Extremely disappointed would not recommend
Please be advised not to stay here

Date of stay: December 2023
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
The Samuel Ryder Hotel Team, Guest Services / Front Office at The Samuel Ryder Hotel St Albans, Tapestry Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2024

Dear Alan,

We are extremely disappointed to read your review and it is obvious in your feedback that we did not meet your expectations.
Appreciate that our 3rd and biggest free car park is not on-site, but it’s definitely not a mile from the hotel. It’s 0.2 mi to be exact and about 4-5 mins walk back to the hotel. Given our central location, we are very fortunate to have these 3 free parking sites for our guests knowing how expensive the parking fees are in the city centre. Having said that, whilst we offer free parking, guests are always welcome to park elsewhere if they preferred to.
As you have mentioned that you felt your stay was over rated and overpriced, I am sorry that it is unlikely that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 21 December 2023

This is a lovely Hotel but we felt very let down. Paid over the odds for a room for the night, not including breakfast which is fine except after checking in at 3 pm our room was only 15 Degrees and so cold that we couldn't stay in the room. We went down and mentioned and they said that the Heating hadn't been activated or something like that. Considering the room had been cleaned and they were expecting guests it wasn't great. Anyway, 2 hours later it was still so cold but we had to come back as I needed a nap after a long day. It was still only 18 in the room which still felt cold.
We mentioned upon checkout and the receptionist said that the Manager would call us. We went home and I called a couple of Days later and spoke to someone they said they would get the Manager to call, but again no callback. I called back a couple of days later and spoke to the Manager who was useless. She almost said that it was our fault that the heating had been turned off. I am a Hilton Member and I don't think I have ever been so disappointed in staying in a Hilton after losing time in a room that we had paid for and not being able to use the room until 5 pm. No Gesture of goodwill or Breakfast was offered on the checkout day prior to us asking to speak to the Manager. You would have had a happy customer if you had acknowledged in some way the inconvenience caused.

Date of stay: December 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear Debbie,

Thank you for sharing your feedback following your recent stay at our hotel.
We deeply regret that your overall experience did not meet your expectations and that your post-stay complaint wasn't resolved promptly. We take your comments seriously, and we truly apologise for the inconvenience you have experienced with the heating temperature in your room.
Once again, please accept our sincere apologies and we hope we will have the chance to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 26 November 2023

Over the years we have stayed in many Hiltons ranging from Hamptons to Conrads. This was our first stay in a Tapestry and I hope it wont be our last.

Putting the postcode into our Sat Nav took us right to the front door of the hotel. We parked on yellow lines for a few minutes to unload the luggage and were given directions to a nearby car park which was 2 minutes walk away.

Reception was friendly and helpful. Our room was clean, comfortable and reasonably spacious. WiFi worked well and there was a reasonable choice of TV channels.

The bathroom was fine with a walk in shower rather than a bath which was fine. Tea and coffee facilities were in the room.

We had booked breakfast for 8am and our table was ready for us. We enjoyed a continental breakfast of croissant yoghourt and toast which was complementary thanks to our Hhonors Gold status.

The hotel is in a fascinating old building one the offices of local business man Samuel Ryder and is located in the heart of the small city of St Albans.

Based on our experience I would highly recommend it.

Date of stay: November 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled with family

Dear Paul,

Thank you for sharing your feedback following your recent stay at our hotel. We are very trilled to read that your first Tapestry stay was as expected and are also happy to know that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay as well as the efficient and friendly service our staff provided you.
It's always heart warming to read such lovely comments. Your kind words motivate us to continue offering the highest level of services and we truly appreciate that.

Thank you for staying with us and we really appreciate your loyalty to the Hilton brand.

Hope to welcome you again in the nearest future.

With Warmest Regards,

Reviewed 7 November 2023

A hard to find car park and inexperienced staff make this not the usual Hilton standard. I was told by a staff member she would come out into the road to show me where the car park was. She failed to arrive so I had to call again after 10 mins + and luckily the lovely Oli took me straight to the car park. If I hadn't have called again I would have been parked in a very dangerous part of the high street and waiting for an unnecessary amount of time.

Date of stay: October 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Tapestry Collection by Hilton

Dear Guest,

Thank you for feedback.
Our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused by the parking situation. Glad Ollie assisted you and took you to the car park.
Again, we are sorry you did not enjoy your visit on this occasion but hope you will return sometime in the future.

Reviewed 5 November 2023

I came here as I am member of Hilton and I was attending a course near by in St Albans - firstly the hotel signs to the hotel are very poorly signed - after missing the turning about 3 times as it is on a Main road which is difficult to stop and turn into the hotel and having to go round a one way system - the car park had 5 spaces in the smallest of sections, I got the last one and it wasn't until I checked in I was told there is another car park round the corner which was a lot bigger - they do not tell you this explicitly on the website. I ended up leaving the car in the original spot but was going to move it as it had been a horrible day in terms of weather and I wasn't well with a cold - I was hoping to get some dinner only to be told there is no food !! only breakfast- for a Hilton this is unacceptable and I am member so I got 2 bottles of complimentary water - and where the hotel is located if you do not know the area there is not a lot about (I did not want to eat out after driving and not being well) - the hotel said I could order deliveroo to order food and get it delivered to the hotel as I had no choice so ordered of the Uber app

Overall the hotel room was sufficent and that's all I can review as mentioned there was no food.

As I am due to come back to St Albans due to checking out early from the hotel due to illness (cold) - I have opted to stay at a Premier Inn a little further and drive in instead as at least you know there will be food available and parking - sorry Hilton I will not be staying here in the future.

Date of stay: October 2023
Trip type: Travelled on business
The Samuel Ryder Hotel Team, Guest Services / Front Office at The Samuel Ryder Hotel St Albans, Tapestry Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2023

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us following your recent business trip to St Albans.
We really appreciate your loyalty to the Hilton brand and we apologise for not meeting your expectations on this occasion.
We are also sorry to hear about the inconvenience caused by the parking situation. Given our central location just a few minutes’ walk from all restaurants and shops, we are fortunate to have 3 free parking sites. Our hotel is the only one in the city that offers complimentary parking. While the car park directly next to the property has limited availability, we provide two additional complimentary car parks within a 4 – 6 minute walk.

Regarding the dinner, we do have a small bar menu which you can either order as a room service or eat in the bar and I am sorry that this was not made clear to you on your arrival.

Thank you for sharing your feedback and we do hope that we will be able to welcome you again in the future.