“Wedding”
Review of Ardmore House

Ardmore House
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in St Albans
Reviewed 17 June 2012

I recently attended a wedding at Ardmore House and and stayed a coupe of nights. Our room the room being was small and overlooking a wall and fire escape but nicely decorated,
I have to say everything else about the weekend including the wedding reception was excellent the staff were friendly and very efficient and could do not do enough.
I would certainly recommend this venue for anyone looking tp plan a wedding in the St Albans area.
PQuayle

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the garden

Reviewed 11 June 2012

We arrived at this hotel on Tues 5th June 2012 for a 3 day break and although it is a little deceiving from the front it is really quite a nice size inside. Our room (16) had been recently re-furbished and was lovley, a little small, but clean and pleasent. Our bed was made daily (properly as my attempts were a little shabby) and fresh towels every day. Our only complaint would be it was a very warm room we think this maybe as we were above the kitchen ? but this did not spoil our stay. The staff were friendly and helpful and the breakfast was fab. Choice of full english and all the usual breakfast cereal etc but I had a couple of various hot choices ie sausage and scrambelled egg, bacon saus and mushroom etc. The food was always hot as was the plate and very very nice. Thick bread for toast excellent, hate that thin stuff. The hotel is very close to the train and bus station which was excellent for us as we used the train and the underground to see lots of London 2 days out of the three and it was very easy to use. St Albans town centre is a stones throw away, 5 mins walk, so the hotel is in a great spot. I would definately stay again and would recommend it. I just wish hotels would not use shower curtains, they are very frustrating as they always stick to you while you are showering due to the lack of space. A glass or pvc screen would be my choice. All in all it was a great stay. :-)

Room Tip: Room 16 is small but adequate, only choose if you like to be warm though as it was very hot all the...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank J0Gibs0n
Reviewed 31 May 2012

Had our daughters wedding reception at the hotel on 26 May 2012. Excellent venue for these occasions especially if the sun is shining as the garden is beautiful. The venue itself is stunning and the food and service excellent. We had no complaints and the cost was reasonable for the service provided. RECOMMENDED

Reviewed 15 May 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed our overnight stay at this hotel in April. Staff were friendly and helpful. The evening meal was very good indeed, with good choice and service. The breakfast was what you would expect from the star rating.

Our room was clean and comfortable, but a little dated. We would stay there again.

Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 May 2012

I stayed for one night on 12th May 2012 with my partner. I booked as special treat for myself and my partner as we were attending a show at the St Albans Civic Centre. I knew the hotel was a traditional type rather than the standard generic hotel you get with one of the larger chains and that is exactly what you get. The check in area is very 70's, I didn't even see a computer and it was all done by hand by a very friendly and welcoming lady. The only negative comment I would make is that she was tending the bar as well as reception and so we were kept waiting. However, I did think that it was a nice touch that we were actually shown to our room rather than just given directions as is the norm these days.

On the way to our room, we passed through the wedding which I assume the review previous to mine is about and it did look stunning! It was very bright and airy, with a seperate seating area in a conservatory and also a seperate bar area all overlooking the lawns. It probably helped that it was a gorgeous sunny day, but if I was looking for somewhere for my Wedding Reception, Ardmore House would definately be on my list. I had another look the next day on the way to breakfast and even mentioned it to my partner.

Then we reached our room...oh dear, this is where the Hotel really let itself down. It was very clean and the bed was nice and comfortable, but it was ridiculously small. I'm not convinced the bed was a full sized double, which when you have a 6'4" partner can make it very cozy. There was barely half a meter between the end of the bed and the wardrobe and not much more on either side. There was no bath, which is something which did not go down too well with me as when I'm away I do like to have a long lazy hot bath and read a book. The whole bathroom was smaller than an average en-suite. It was also very much in need of a lick of paint and a spruce up. Having said that the room was well equipped with plenty of tea and coffee. There were extra pillows in the wardrobe as well as plenty of hangers and plenty of towels. As were were in the annexe we did not experience any issue with noise and I would assume that the Wedding Reception was still in full swing when we arrived back after our evening out.

The next morning we had breakfast. Unfortunately, there only appeared to be one chap actually serving. We were unsure as to whether we had to wait to be seated or if we should just find ourselves a table after hovering around for 5 minutes being ignored, we opted to just sit down. When he came and took our order (we both opted for the Full English) he was very polite and the food was served incredibly quickly. I did like that it was waiter service and not a buffet as is usually the case. We asked for more coffee as we were lingering at our table, and this was brought very quickly with no problems at all. The breakfast itself was lovely! Very much enjoyed by both of us.

Overall, my stay at Ardmore House was nice and had the room been bigger and better furnished I would have classed this as an excellent stay. It is walking distance to St Albans town Centre yet is in a quiet residential street so the location is brilliant. I paid £83 for our room and breakfast, and felt that it was over-priced given the cupboard we stayed in.

Would I recommend this hotel....I would, but be prepared for small, dated accomodation.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 May 2012

My daughter got married at the Ardmore House Hotel yesterday, 12 May 2012, and we had the most wonderful day ever. We had visited the Hotel to make final arrangements during the days before, and Maurice was so helpful, we felt that everything was going to be ok. And boy was it perfect.. Right from the beginning of the day when Joe met us to when he said goodbye to us today, they could not have done more for us. The rooms were excellent, with everything you could wish for. The weather was perfect so that we could all enjoy ourselves outside as well as inside. The wedding breakfast was wonderful and the buffet in the evening was brilliant. Everyone was so friendly and nothing was too much trouble. Even the cooked breakfast this morning was wonderful, everything piping hot. Thank you for all that you did for us and helped make the day very special indeed

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Gill W
Reviewed 11 May 2012

Attended a very special wedding and stayed here for one night, food was lovely, staff very friendly and the room was clean with plenty of towels. Breakfast was one of the best we have ever had, Quality!! will certainly use again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St Albans
#5 of 10 in St Albans
Aubrey Park Hotel
Aubrey Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Redbourn

Been to Ardmore House? Share your experiences!