“disappointed”
Review of Ardmore House

Ardmore House
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in St Albans
Reviewed 8 February 2011

We felt uncomfortable here, we were told the cost to the hotel of the entertainment for the evening, and when my husband asked if they had a 4-poster room, the reply was "not for what you paid". It was explained to us that the hotel did not make much money from guests who booked with Expedia as Expedia took a cut - all very unprofessional. Room was small, and needed updating. Breakfast - cheap food/juice. All precooked and kept warm, and greasy. The hotel looks lovely, but our stay was not.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 24 January 2011

Recommend with some reservations.Rooms are very small with even smaller bathrooms (when using the WC my chin was in the washbasin!) and noisy fan.Had to crawl under the desk unit to adjust the thermostat on the radiator, but having said this the heating was correctly controlled. Comfortable bed and plenty of storage. Good Dinner and Breakfast food (latter only tea and toast ordered but friends full English looked good.) Top floor room would not be suitable for less mobile guests as no lift.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 January 2011

How this hotel gets a 3 star AA rating astounds me! Grumpy receptionist, dark dismal entrance hall, not even able to order a paper for breakfast. We arrived early on a snowy freezing cold day having driven for 3 hours and had to wait for room to be prepared, but no offer of tea or coffee whilst waiting in a dark dingy side room. No attempt at clearing ice from car park (a real slip hazard) or putting down salt when we complained. Serving staff at table polite and food at breakfast acceptable. No Sky Sports in bar. Decor in rooms needs updating. We had a four poster in a tiny room with limited storage space. Not even a chair to sit in to watch TV. Hotel needs a major face lift in many areas.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 December 2010

The hotel was used for a function by the company I work for there was no overnight stay which I am glad about as during my evening there I had a full length black fur coat stolen,they have no facility on site to leave any coats or jackets except for a coat rail in reception with a few hangers where if you so desire you can leave your item with no guarantee that it will be there when your evening is over, the staff were very unhelpfull.
If you do stay there leave any valuables you may have locked in your car out of site,so temptation is not on display

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
ArdmoreHouseHotel, Manager at Ardmore House, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2011

I am very sorry that the coat was never found. All customers using the coat rail facility, do so with no responsibility to the hotel/restaurant. As the sign displayed near the coat rail facilities clearly states that 'No liablity is accepted for loss of or damage to any personal belongings'.
I together with staff members have done our utmost to try and help by contact on two different occasions all the other party organisers that held functions on the same night, if any of their guests had taken the coat in error.
I completely understand your frustration and sincerely regret that the coat was never found.

Reviewed 23 November 2010

I booked one double and one single room at this hotel by telephone on 25 October for a stay in November for our son's graduation ceremony. At the time of booking I was asked to leave my credit card details as guarantee which I did and one week after making the booking my credit card company rang me to ask about my recent spending on the card. I had not made any but it turns out that someone has cloned my details and had a nice old spending spree of a dozen fradulent transactions in the surrounding area to St Albans. My credit card company picked up on it as I was supposed to have spent £250 in an Italian restaurant in Harpenden at the same time as I was supposed to have spent £250 in a Chinese in Luton. There were other transactions of a similar nature amounting to over £1500 in the space of a week. None of the spending was anywhere near Sheffield where I live.

I then connected this with the hotel as I had not given my credit card details to anyone else since the beginning of July. We kept the hotel booking as we needed the rooms and I intended to ask to speak to the Manager on checking out but on arrival at the hotel there was no trace of my booking for two rooms. After a flap they found us two rooms and questioned me about the booking and asked me if I had left my credit card details and at that point I told them I had had a problem with my card and they looked shocked.

I have absolutely no proof of course that the fraud came through the hotel but as it all happened within one week of making my booking and that mysteriously vanished from their regeister I am sure enough to have told my credit card company of what I think.

As for the stay itself the rooms were small but comfortable and we had no noise problems as we stayed midweek. The breakfast was fine although the orange juice was watered down and the service was quick.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 September 2010

If you want to hold a function in this hotel, then do so. It's a very pleasant place and ideally suited to large functions, wedding parties, business meetings.

However, if your purpose for staying in Ardmore House Hotel is to sleep and rest after an enjoyable evening elsewhere, then may I advise that you do not to stay here. Stay elsewhere.

If you are attending a function in Ardmore House Hotel, and wish to sleep afterwards, only then will you forgive very noisy bar staff that tidy up until 1.30am. And very noisy guests that are allowed to remain downstairs as long as they want, celebrating, making lots of noise until 3am, despite you calling reception at 1.30am to remind them this is a hotel not a night club.

The Ardmore House Hotel single room was very small. Beware! There are even smaller rooms! The owner told me so. The shower did not work and was at less than 10% capacity, at best with a veritable dribble of water. I didn't wash my hair as I knew I would be unable to wash the soap away. The extractor fan rumbled noisily away for a long time. The ceiling had been damp and was temporarily painted.

What was good? The breakfast was good, in a bright clean function room downstairs, though I wasn't convinced about the fresh orange juice. The other function rooms downstairs were also very comfortable and spacious, with quite a lot of charm.

If your suitcase is heavy - mine was, you will have to carry your luggage up stairs by yourself. I did not see a lift, nor a bell boy to help. London hotels always have someone who will help you with your luggage.

The owner told me £68 was London prices. The previous night I did stay in a London (since when was St Albans London?) and paid for £60 for a double room, with a large spacious washroom and double power shower, and good lighting, a large widescreen freesat tv and importantly a good night's sleep. See the last four photos for comparison. I mentioned this to the owner.

In the morning I was begrudgingly offered a £5 discount, but not before being given an itemised breakdown of the bill, £x for cleaning, £y for linen, £z for breakfast. I thought what kind of service is this?

A customer tells you he did not sleep, was disturbed by guests and bar staff until 3am, his shower was almost totally faulty and you want to explain to him why he should still pay for the privilege.

No where was there an itemized cost breakdown for a good night's sleep. If you want one, don't stay here, unless you confirm you are not in the hotel but in a totally separate building. Even then, is this good value? No, certainly not.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 July 2010

This is really a tired, old country hotel that is in serious need of a revamp. The double bedroom was teeny tiny with depressing grates on the bedroom windows - not sure how it counted as a 'double' - two people really could not walk around the room at the same time it was that small. The bathroom was minsicule with a toilet that didn't flush properly, a horrid shower tray and shower curtain and a weak powerless shower. On the plus side it was all very clean and despite the fact that it was busy we didn't hear any noise at night (we were on 2nd floor). It served our purposes as we were at a local wedding but glad it wasn't a weekend getaway otherwise it'd have been disasterous.... The brekki was actually quite good and the manager on duty very attentive but I agree with the other comments on the female receptionist ... zero inter personal skills - I guess they either dont read trip advisor reviews to check how they're doing or they just don't care... either way, if you need to swing a cat (!) I'd give this one a wide berth!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Holiday Inn Express St. Albans - M25, Jct. 22
3 mi away
Mercure St Albans Noke Hotel
Laura Ashley The Manor Elstree

Been to Ardmore House? Share your experiences!