“Disgusting Place”

Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in St Albans
London, United Kingdom
“Disgusting Place”
Reviewed 15 February 2012

My company had its sales meeting here in January. The meeting had to be held in the Marquee due to the number of people. To say it was cold is an understatement, it was freezing. They had heaters but half the time they couldn't get them working. Plus the marquee looked tired and dirty, god help anyone who has their wedding in there.
They have 2 different types of rooms; the refurbished ones and the dirty old ones. I got put into one of the old ones. It was rancid!!! There was mould all around the bathroom and bedroom window. The toilet handle had god knows what on it. I refused to stay in the room as I didn't want to catch anything and drove each day from home. It really was that bad!!!
Do not stay here!!!

Room Tip: Don't stay here it is disgusting, if you have to stay there book a deluxe room not a standard.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Firefly51
Thistlehotels, General Manager at Mercure St Albans Noke Hotel, responded to this review, 15 March 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Having taken over the hotel as General Manager in February 2012, your detailed feedback was most helpful.

It pleases me to say that since your meeting, we have made several much needed improvements to the Marquee, including specialized heating, improved flooring/carpets, and lighting this has all made a significant difference, all in time for the wedding season.

In regards to the bedrooms we do have a split of standard and deluxe, this allows for two main price points, assuming you are referring to the standard rooms it pleases me to say that a further 24 of these have been upgraded with plans to complete the remaining rooms.

It's very disappointing to read that your experience was so bad and for this I apologise.

Many thanks for your detailed feedback.

Regards

Simon and Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 February 2012

First impressions can be deceiving - not so with our stay here - we were told to ignore the signs indicating no entry - refurbishment in progress - just carry straight on to your room. The room was large for a twin and clean and comfortable. It was evident that the furniture had seen better days, and the corridor was partly covered in protection. Hey ho - refurbishment has to take place sometime and our room seemed tidy enough.
We retired to bed quite late near midnight but sleep evaded us for hours. The noise from the corridor and other rooms was very disturbing, and the crash of empty bottles being emptied into a skip woke us up on two further occasions. When we finally got off to sleep at about 4 in the morning (Sunday) there was the noise of a lorry unloading and loading wheeled containers very near our room. This lasted ages until the lorry finally drove off.
Just before breakfast I was examining the view outside, which gave no clue to the source of the noise when I realized I was looking through a single glazed window, in a flimsy section of aluminum curtain walling. Since this form of construction has not been used for 40 years you can see why this hotel might need some refurbishment. It also probably explained why the airborne sound from other rooms and the corridors was so poor - 1970s construction technology was pitiful.
Believe me travel lodge etc may be cheep and cheerful, but are better built, and you'll sleep better.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wilfie46
london
Reviewed 30 January 2012

I decided to surprise my partner to a trip away i looked on the internet and saw that they were offering deals for thistle hotel so decided to book .Booking was straight forward .I booked twin deluxe room.We arrived by car we found it a bit difficult to find had to ask someone then realized that we had past it it was on the other side of the shell garage at the roundabout A1.Lady at The reception was quite friendly and helpful .We were on the ground floor i bit confusing finding room and noticed on our way that skirting boards and wood ledge could be cleaner but not too bad.Our room was very nice and bathroom clean and tidy bed was so comfortable did want to leave.We also used the steamroom swimming pool and jucuzzi and had lovely relaxing time.
This hotel is a little way from the town we took a taxi cost £8.00 there and £9.00 back.We had breakfast wasnt too bad but if i had been in town would have had breakfast somewhere else .Overall we had a lovely stay and we would stay here again.

Room Tip: Room off A1 very quiet and deluxe very nice
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Thistlehotels, General Manager at Mercure St Albans Noke Hotel, responded to this review, 2 February 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for firstly for choosing to stay with us at the St Albans Thistle Hotel, secondly thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the TripAdvisor community.Your comments regarding friendly and helpful receptionists really is pleasing as are your comments regarding the comfortable bed and relaxing time you had in our Otium Leisure Club. The attention to detail required in the corridors has been personally communicated to our housekeeping team and I will continue to monitor this.

In regards to breakfast being “not to bad” I can assure you that we are in the process of redesigning our breakfast presentation and set up, and on your next stay I am sure you will note the difference.

Your detailed feedback is really appreciated and on behalf of the team I would like to thank you and look forward to welcoming you back into the hotel in the near future.

Kind Regards

Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 January 2012

Stayed here before attending a funeral in St Albans, very disappointed. The room was dismal and wasnt very clean, wall paper peeling of the wall, damp patch on ceilling which they had tried to cover with different paint to rest of ceilling, switches wonky and brass tarnished. Went to resturant for evening meal left standing for 10 mins while staff ignored us which considering there were no other guests in there at the time I felt was bad. We were finallly seated by a very nice lady but by then we had had enough so Hubby complained to reception who did transfer us to a nicer room but still left a lot to be desired. I certainly felt our visit was not worth the money we paid and would not recomend to friends.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank graysandge
Dear Reviewer,

Very disappointing to read of you dissatisfaction whilst staying with us. As the new General Manager I am delighted to say that this week has seen the commencement of our latest refurbishment project. This includes the room your experienced and I am personally looking forward to welcoming our first guests into these new look rooms. Regarding the unacceptable way in which you were left standing on arrival in our restaurant, this has been communicated to our food and beverage manager who I have asked to retrain the team to be in line with our company standards, we are also in the process of launching our new Restaurant menu.

If you would allow me the opportunity to restore your faith in our hotel then please do contact me personally.

Kind Regards

Simon Thatcher

Travellers are raving about these St Albans hotels

Milford Haven, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 January 2012

My wife and I were also present at the reception following a funeral. A total of about 40 persons attended. The standard of food provided bore no resemblance to our expectations. The cost of £17.95 per person is extortionate. Qiuches were soggy and unrecognisable. A whole bowl full of fruit was left uneaten. Tiny sandwiches with questionable fillings.

Most unsatisfctory.
Our journey was for family and friends of the deceased. Many had traveled long distances to attend. The ones contacted share our experiences. Great improvement is urgently needed.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Reviewer,

Clearly we have failed on this occasion to deliver a food offering and for this please accept my personal apologies, I can assure you that following your families feedback I have personally reviewed our menus and we are in the process of updating these.
I understand that my Operations Manager has been in contact and this has now been resolved.

Regards

London
Reviewed 17 January 2012

Our friends got married in this hotel last year. We stayed there for weekend. I was bit dissapointed when we first arrived as the hotel is situated on a massive roundabout on a busy road. But the moment we crossed the treshhold we were positively surprised. Very beautiful interior and outside - you wold never think you are next to the busy road.
Wedding ceremony and reception were also very nice and well orginized. Breakfast was exceptionally tasty.
I would definitely recomend this hotel and while beeing in this area i would consider staying there.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Quinni
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your extremely positive feedback regarding your stay with us, I will certainly pass on your feedback to the entire team who I am sure will be delighted by your comments.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Kindest Regards

Bath
Reviewed 16 January 2012

Today I attended the hotel following a funeral. A buffet meal had been purchased and supplied at £17.95 per person. It was terrible, the quality and the quantity of the food was a disgrace and and certainly did not come anywhere close to representing good value for money. The sandwiches were stale and totally unimaginative, the sausage rolls were greasy and tasteless and the quiche had the consistency and taste of mashed potato and definitely not of egg. VERY DISAPPOINTED and certainly would not recommend this venue for food.

Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Mercure London North Watford Hunton Park Hotel
St Michael's Manor Hotel
St Michael's Manor Hotel
#5 of 10 in St Albans

Been to Mercure St Albans Noke Hotel? Share your experiences!