“Great Hotel”

Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in St Albans
Chester, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed 3 November 2012

We have just spent two nights at this hotel using as a base to get to London. Staff and rooms were very good but there are areas (corridors) which look at little tired although redecoration is in progress, this was not intrusive. Breakfast first class and very easy to get to London in off peak times, £3 to park car all day in the multi storey adjacent to the station and £10.50 for a return including underground. Staff were friendly, welcoming and very helpful. All in all a very good stay and good value for money.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the rear of the hotel, a little quieter
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
SimonThatcher, General Manager at Mercure St Albans Noke Hotel, responded to this review, 5 November 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at The Noke and for sharing your experience with the Trip Advisor community.

Great to hear that the team’s efforts were appreciated, also pleasing to see that the ongoing redecoration works are noted yet none disruptive.

As mentioned by you we really are well located as a base for exploring London, 20 minutes and you at Kings Cross, we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Simon and Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 October 2012

My Son held his wedding reception in the marquee on September 22nd. It was a beautiful day and the venue was perfect. The marquee looked really lovely. Krystal worked very hard with the bride and groom to ensure their day was just what they wanted. The waiters were attentive and professional. Food was lovely - tasty, well presented and plenty of it (especially the evening buffet). The grounds are pretty and look lovely in the photos. Many of us stayed over night and the rooms were really nice. We stayed in the deluxe room. The bridal suite was really very nice. The breakfast the next morning was very good - again, plenty of it. I really can't find fault with the hotel, the staff and our overall experience and would certainly recommend the marquee for a wedding.

Room Tip: Book a deluxe room
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
SimonThatcher, General Manager at Mercure St Albans Noke Hotel, responded to this review, 1 November 2012
Dear Deb,

On behalf of the team we would like to thank you for choosing to hold your special day with us and we are all delighted that you had such a memorable day.

We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 25 October 2012

Having had a long drive dowyork St Albans. Staff friendly, room great. Had been advised to have a room away from the road, as it can be noisy. Very good room, really comfortable. Great gym and nice pool. Wish that last orders for food in restaurant could be later than 9 pm, a bit early! Food in bar was good. Thanks for a great stay, the previous hotel could learn a lot from you.

• Stayed October 2012
SimonThatcher, General Manager at Mercure St Albans Noke Hotel, responded to this review, 26 October 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Many thanks for your “Great” comments, the team will be delighted that their combined efforts have been well received.

Our Market Fresh menu is served in the Noke Restaurant until 930pm daily and our Lounge bar also has a menu running up until 11pm nightly, followed by the 24 hour rooms service menu.

Please do contact me directly at the hotel before your next visit and I will personally make sure your dinning options are confirmed.

We look forward to seeing you again.

Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 October 2012

Unprofessional and careless.

I occasionally stay in this hotel mainly for my business meetings as this hotel is commutable distance to welwyn garden city. First of all when I walked in to the hotel there was no one in the reception desk to check in. However there were few people chatting behind the reception door with out noticing me. Later a guy who seems to be the manager came out to help me in checking in. I had asked the manager if he can help me out with my laugage. The guy said that he will bring my laugage into my room. I nearly waited 15-20 mins for my lauguage to arrive but no one turned up. I rang the reception to check however there was no answer. This was highly frustrating as I needed to get my work done but how can I when I was still waiting for my bags and then I had to go down myself to check on my lauguage. It was very disappointing to see my bags in the very same place as I left it and the guys in the reception were again busy chatting behind the doors leaving the reception unattended. I had to take my lauguage on my own. The frustrating part is reception did not notice me taking my bag as they completely forgot about it and never rang me to check if I have taken my bags. This is one of my worst experience in this hotel.

Would not recommend to anyone in my right sense.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank stevecorley23
SimonThatcher, General Manager at Mercure St Albans Noke Hotel, responded to this review, 29 October 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Very disappointing to read of your experience, I will be carrying out a full investigation of this situation, this is clearly not the way to treat our guests.

You mention that you stay with us on a regular basis, perhaps you could contact me directly at the hotel, which will allow me the opportunity to address your comments.

Simon Thatcher – General Manager

Travellers are raving about these St Albans hotels

Harrow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 October 2012

Eight of us booked for Sunday lunch at the Thistle with no knowledge of its reputation, only that it would accept the Tastecard. The decor of the dining room was extremely good, very clean and bright. The Sunday offer menu was limited - 4 choices per course, but it was varied enough to offer something for everyone. Portions were generous and the quality of the food was very good, particularly the roast beef which was beautifully tender. What really made this restaurant stand out was the quality of the service. We had a young waiter, Tom, who was working to help get himself though Uni and he really made every effort to ensure that we had everything we needed. We are quite an exuberant group of friends and he joined in our banter and gentle 'teasing' with such good humour. We have booked for another 'get-together' in a few weeks, and requested that he looks after us again. All in all it was one of the best lunches we have had in a long time at an extremely good price.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
SimonThatcher, General Manager at Mercure St Albans Noke Hotel, responded to this review, 23 October 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thanks for choosing to join us for our new Sunday lunch offering, very pleasing to read that the food was well received and that Tom had a special mention for his great service.

In regards to the menu whilst we have a reduced menu its worth mentioning that we do have a full lounge menu should dinner’s whish to order from that, we also have a new cream tea offering that is also available.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 October 2012

We have stayed here on many occasions to meet up with friends and family in the St Albans area. We have always found the staff very helpful and professional. It has good access to the M25 and M1 and has good parking and has a nice health spa with a pool.

The breakfast has improved over the past year with the food being fresher and of a much higher standard to what it was some time ago. The restaurant has enough space for guests but is looking a little tired, especially around the area where the staff deposit dirty crockery and tea pots etc. A little clean up wouldn't go amiss!!

We usually have an executive room which is spacious and the beds are comfortable with bath/shower rooms of an average size. Our son had a single room which was a room with double bed and en suite shower room. Both were well furnished and adquate in size.

The best thing about this hotel is the staff. They are all helpful and friendly and always give the impression that they really enjoy working in the hotel. Maybe the spa staff were a little off hand at our stay this time but that is the only negative comment we could make about the staff.

We will certainly be back for another stay.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank FarquiH
SimonThatcher, General Manager at Mercure St Albans Noke Hotel, responded to this review, 22 October 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us as your preferred hotel in St Albans, very pleasing to read that the focus we have on both breakfast and customer service is making the right impression on our guests.

In regards to the restaurant looking a little tired, it delights me to say that we are carrying out a rolling plan of decoration in each area and next will be this exact area.

Thanks again for choosing us and sharing your view with the Trip Advisor community,

We look forward to welcoming you back once again.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 October 2012

Have stayed here on a number of occasions to attend family events in St Albans. I have always found the staff very helpful and professional and have used the hotel as the host hotel for some family gatherings. It has easy access on the main road into the city, M25 right around the corner with parking and a adequate health spa with a pool

Great breakfast and food, restaurant food has improved

The rooms do vary with singles, doubles and family rooms, but the level of housekeeping is very satisfactory,

The best thing about this hotel is the relaxed and helpful attitude of the staff who make a point to remember your name. Its very reasonably priced and does not suffer from the pretentiousness of some of the other local hotels . St Albans is a lovely city to visit

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
SimonThatcher, General Manager at Mercure St Albans Noke Hotel, responded to this review, 19 October 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thanks for continuing to use our hotel for your accommodation and event needs, it’s a real pleasure to read such positive feedback especially from a regular guest who uses the hotel time and time again.

Really pleasing regarding the team’s relaxed and helpful attitude as we do place a lot of emphasis on developing the right atmosphere and training for the team.

We look forward to seeing you again in the not to distant future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St Albans
Ardmore House
#7 of 10 in St Albans
Premier Inn Watford North Hotel
Mercure London North Watford Hunton Park Hotel

Been to Mercure St Albans Noke Hotel? Share your experiences!