“Restaurant - James”

Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in St Albans
Watford, United Kingdom
“Restaurant - James”
Reviewed 24 January 2013

Wednesday 23rd January 2013 my husband I visited the Restaurant on a cold snowy night at about 8.00 p.m. Firstly, the menue was excellent but what made our evening was a young gentleman named James who was polite with a smile on his face, knowledgeable about our wine choice and his loyalty to the restaurant was comendable and he took the time to make us feel welcome. The food was delicious with an extremely varied menu and Janli a young Latvian girl also gave us good service with extremely good English and had knowledge of the food we had chosen. A very nice night out- will go there again SOON.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Sylvia C
SimonThatcher, General Manager at Mercure St Albans Noke Hotel, responded to this review, 25 January 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thanks for sharing your experience we will certainly pass on your glowing feedback to the team members highlighted.

Simon and Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 January 2013

We stayed two nights and for what we received was perfectly adequate as a family of four the accessible room for wheel chair users was excellent and the twin room was acceptable.The menu was ok for a chain menu in a hotel but not justifying of its mark up and price.Service was also adequate throughout, however the receptionist who checked us in and out was superb and clearly should be training others or in a better role or hotel by far, our marking of service below is for the rest of the hotel certainly not of the receptionist i have mentioned.All in all it served a purpose for what we needed however i would not recommend it for a hotel break etc short stay for B & B etc for an odd night or two yet no more.

Room Tip: Disabled accessible room 157 was excellent plenty of room for wheelchair pull cord throughout superb...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank victoria p
Dear Reviewer,

Thanks for choosing to stay with us at The Noke, very disappointing to read that you felt our bar tender was less than helpful, your comments will be used to reiterate to the team the need for a positive approach to customer service, as nothing should seem like a effort.
Very sorry that all the positives highlighted by you in relation to location, free parking, friendly receptionist, very nice room, varied choice at breakfast and excellent value for money were ruined by one member of our team, perhaps you could contact me personally through the hotel to allow us the opportunity to make your next stay in the area faultless.
Wales
Reviewed 23 January 2013

The hotel is located a £10 taxi ride into town and very close to the M25.
There is plenty of free parking at the hotel.
Reception - very helpful friendly staff.
Room - very nice room if not a little tired and in need of decorating. It was very warm and quiet. The bathroom was clean but in need of modernisation.
Restaurant - not used for evening meal. Breakfast was ok with a varied choice of hot/cold food.
Bar - the young Asian waiter was unhelpful and had little customer service. It felt that we were a hindrance to him rather than a paying customer. Every request for a drink was met with items out of stock. After complaining the waiter found the items in another bar but in my opinion was being lazy. He had no personal skills and needs some customer service training.

Overall the staff were friendly but the bar incident was the only negative comment. The hotel was excellent value for money but I would look for alternative accommodation when next in the area.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank TouristsWales

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 January 2013 via mobile

Known both as The Noke and its more recent incarnation as a Thistle Hotel, this place offers a clean and comfortable base for the Watford and St Albans areas. It has a lot of smaller conference and meeting rooms so expect corporate sorts rather than tourists to he your breakfast companions esp low season. The breakfast has to be one if the best ever in a London area hotel - even if the room service version cost nearly half what I'd paid for the room! Friendly staff and a spacious bar helped make this a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed January 2013
SimonThatcher, General Manager at Mercure St Albans Noke Hotel, responded to this review, 30 January 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thanks for choosing to stay with us and thanks for the feedback, we are gald you had such a positive experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the not to distant future.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 January 2013

We stayed here for one night earlier this month (January 2013) and booked one of the 'deluxe' rooms which the website stated were recently upgraded. The room was very disappointing to say the least - it was very much a standard Premier Inn / Travelodge - type room - there was not anything 'deluxe' about it. We contacted reception and after some time, they agreed to move us to another room. The only difference with this room was that the aircon unit was on another wall. We again contacted reception but were told this was the best they had available. In comparison to many other four star hotels, this is seriously lacking and very disappointing considering the cost of the room.

Dinner at the hotel was nice - although dessert had to be sent back because it was cold... and then came back again... still cold. The main meals however, were lovely and the dessert was nice (just cold!)

Breakfast was awful.

Room Tip: There is no difference between a 'standard' and 'deluxe' - unless you are getting an...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank misp86
SimonThatcher, General Manager at Mercure St Albans Noke Hotel, responded to this review, 21 January 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Very sorry to read that our deluxe rooms were not to you liking, and that despite the best efforts of the reception team this was not resolved, pleasing that the restaurant meal was enjoyable however the inability to provide you with a satisfying dessert is also disappointing.

Thanks for your constructive feedback, as ever we will use this to improve were highlighted.

Travellers are raving about these St Albans hotels

Pontefract, West Yorkshire, England.
Reviewed 16 January 2013

I stayed here in January for one night whilst in the area on business. On arrival I asked the receptionist for a refurbished room or a complementary upgrade, she informed me that a nice room was available and completed the check in.
I opened the door to room 112 and was disappointed, two single beds, dated dark wood decor, dark carpets, poor bathroom and generally antiqued fittings were the order of the day, so much for the promise of a nice room!!
I ate out with work colleagues an returned quite late, I arrived back and eventually claimed into bed. The noise of a load fan was quickly evident, after a quick check I ruled out the bathroom an instead pulled back the bedroom curtains.....to my horror a bank of air conditioning units were situated just a few feet from my bedroom window!! I Returned to bed and tried to sleep but this proved impossible....I was tempted to ring reception but couldn't b bothered to change rooms part way through the night. I persevered but got no real sleep. I eventually gave in and got up. Upon leaving I complained to reception, I was asked why I didn't make reception aware....I responded and asked why reception didn't make me aware of the potential disruption!!?? I received a blank response. The duty manager did promise to respond to me via email but over 12 hours later I've received nothing.
I drove to work in Hemel Hempstead after exiting the hotel,all day i struggled with tiredness and after work I then had to drive home (3 hour drive), im still not sure how I managed to do this without falling asleep......very dangerous!?,
This hotel is dated and very poorly managed......AVOID......I will never stay here again!!!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Adrian48
SimonThatcher, General Manager at Mercure St Albans Noke Hotel, responded to this review, 18 January 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thanks for the feedback and sorry to hear that your request for a free upgrade was refused, we start a 32 bedroom refurbishment of our standard rooms next week and I am sure that these will offer a more modern feel than they do at present.

I understand that a member of the team has been on contact and that this matter is now resolved.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 January 2013

I was treated to a night away with my then boyfriend and he booked us a room here.
Parking was easy and the hotel appeared to be nice.
Reception was efficient but both times we had the same receptionist who was more interested in talking to my then boyfriend about what we were doing and couldn't have given a flying hoot about me.
However you can't judge a place badly because of one rude receptionist.

Once checked in we went to the room which was clean and tidy as was the toilet.
Decided to head out for dinner and again when we went down to reception the same receptionist was more interested in my boyfriend instead of helping.

Once back my ex decided he wanted to go to the bar, which we never managed to find. The place is a bit random layout wise.
The room was comfy and warm so I cannot complain about that side of my experience.

Checking out was quick and efficient.
Whilst I didn't enjoy the entire experience the hotel is ok for a day away!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,

Thanks for the feedback, and sorry to hear that your stay was marred by our friendly receptionist.

However very pleasing to read that everything else went well.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St Albans
Mercure London North Watford Hunton Park Hotel
St Michael's Manor Hotel
St Michael's Manor Hotel
#5 of 10 in St Albans

Been to Mercure St Albans Noke Hotel? Share your experiences!