“Pleasant and helpful.”

Mercure St Albans Noke Hotel
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in St Albans
Reviewed 18 September 2013

We stay here on a regular basis and have found all the deluxe rooms well furnished with plenty of space. In particular two tub chairs and table. The towels are particularly large which is very pleasing.
My personal complaint is that the beds are very hard.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank S K

Reviewed 16 September 2013

The Noke is supposed to be a 4 star hotel from a very well known chain but from my experience it felt like any other 3 star chain - very disapointed.
Room was supposed to be delux but again basic, nothing wrong with it just not 4 star delux - just plain divan bed (on sheels that moved around), desk and small round table. Very nice bathroom but rest of room bit dull - no draws for clothes, no min bar and TV only offered a few freeview channels - not sat or pay per view?
Spa was ok but towels had holes in them and were very well used - not the expected 'fluffy' feel you would expect. Again, nothing wrong just not 4 star.
Restaurant was just a rectangular room - no atmosphere and not a very good menu? Bar was a bit more nicer but again no atmosphere.
Was going to eat here but ended up going into St Albans and had great time (at Bill's)
All in all hotel was just OK but certainly not a 4 star experience?

Room Tip: Go for a room away from the main road as it's a busy one and noisy.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank John B
Reviewed 13 September 2013

I stayed here for business for 1 night at the beginning of September.
Our company has several agreements with hotels and this was recommended to us as it was close to the office we were attending, and therefore they had a significant number of people through this.

I was greeted at check-in by a lovely lady on reception, who dealt with my reservation quickly and professionally. I got into my room and it was pleasant enough, but relatively basic.
As the weather had just started changing the room was cold, so I turned the radiator right up to return to a warm room after dinner.

I ate in the restaurant with a colleague. The food was pleasant, but very hotel like (expensive for not a great deal). Our waiter was lovely and accommodating when we merged our tables and ordered at different times, but managed to deliver them together for us to eat at the same time. The menu itself was not massively extensive, with around half a dozen or so options per course.

When I returned to my room the fun started.
On entry, the room was now even colder than initially. I checked the radiator and it was ice cold.
I checked the guest handbook, which stated there was a control panel to control the temperatue, but on inspection of the room I couldn't find it.

Feeling a bit stupid at not finding this, I returned to the reception to ask where it was.
I gave my room number for the lady to check the computer and she replied 'You are in a standard room.....I will see if I can get an electric heater sent up'.
Now, I have 2 thoughts on this.
1 - Great service from her, and she apologised, advising she would sort this asap. The heater arrived 30 mins later and did the trick. However, I had to turn it off to sleep as it dried the air too much for me.

2- The tariff in reception stated the Standard room was £160 per night, yet this apparantly doesn't entitle you to heating?!?! Good job teh UK is a year round warm country really....oh hang on!

I was flabbergasted at this. It was exacerbated by the fact the bathroom had a tiled floor and plate glass window with tilting slats at the top, so you had a constant draft coming in, and in the middle of the night a quick run to the loo really woke you up with a bracing entry!

So, after choosing this hotel at it was a renowned 'nice' hotel chain Thistle I was sorely disappointed with what I received for what the price should have been.

I have advised my colleagues attending the same office in the next few weeks to pick other hotels so they escape my fate.

Sorry Noke, but this was really poor.

I also failed to get much sleep, not solely due to the eskimo like conditions, but also due to the noise of passing guets, and the fact I was near a seat of fire doors which banged everytime someone came through them

On the other hand, I was told their gym facilities are very good, but I didn't experience these myself.

Room Tip: Avoid room 217 if it is cold!!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank RhianyddS
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I booked this hotel for a one night stay through Late Rooms which turned out to be an excellent deal at £55 inclusive of breakfast nearly £100 cheaper than the hotel's quoted price for 2 people on a Saturday night. On arrival we were quickly booked in by helpful and friendly staff and went to our room 216 on the 1st floor. The room was adequate clean and well equipped but very dark you needed the light on all the time there was only one small window in the bedroom area and a frosted window in the bathroom. It was a warm sunny evening and with no air con you really had to leave the windows open but with the constant road noise outside unless you are a heavy sleeper you would struggle to get a good night's sleep.
The hotel has an attached pool/spa etc which is free to guests and unfortunately we did not have the time to utilise the facility but again adds to the hotel's appeal versus the usual Travelodge fare. The self service buffet breakfast which was very nice was available up until 11am on the Sunday great for a lie, in with a 12 o clock checkout. Overall a very pleasant hotel with friendly staff good location for the motorways and excellent VFM on a website booked deal. The only other gripe was the bar prices £8.30 for a large whisky with dry ginger was tad expensive compared to prices "up north" but a couple of them assists your sleep if you want to leave the bedroom windows open!

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear of the hotel furthest away from the main road should be quieter and allow you to l...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WirralBagman
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Recently stayed at this hotel for one night on a business trip to St Albans. Hotel was in a good location just of the motorway and parking was free which was a bonus. Had a standard double room which was a bit on the small side but adequate for one night. Unfortunately it was a very hot evening and the room was like an oven, luckily I found a fan in the wardrobe which helped to cool it down as ventilation was minimal. Did not have an evening meal there but did have breakfast which I added on check in as my reservation was room only. Good value at £10 but was nothing special, a typical hotel "kept warm" buffet, although there was a choice of some freshly cooked items at a premium. For once staff were a bit too efficient as they cleared and reset my table when I went to get some toast. Could have been better for 4 star hotel?

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Stayed here on 24/8/13 for 1 night. Staff were very friendly and helpful at reception. We had breakfast which was excellent - fresh and plenty of choice. Tip = We had breakfast included with our through Laterooms.com otherwise its £14.95. But even if you choose not to have the breakfast there's a petrol station across the road. Rooms were clean and spacious too.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank anthony F
Reviewed 25 August 2013

We visited the Thistle Hotel for a family event, and found it relatively welcoming, with the facilities clean and well-maintained. The food served - an afternoon tea and later a buffet - was of average quality, although most of the buffet consisted of various deep-fried and battered snacks, with no vegetarian option. When this was brought up they promptly brought out a bowl of chips - hardly adequate for the vegetarian members in our party.

Staff were in general happy to help, and eager to display their commitment to the hotel and good service, but at times were over attentive, tending to hover around tables which was rather off-putting. Overall, our visit was pleasant, although nothing that we would choose over any other hotel or guest house in the area.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
#8 of 10 in St Albans
Jurys Inn London Watford
Holiday Inn Express St. Albans - M25, Jct. 22
Mercure London North Watford Hunton Park Hotel

Been to Mercure St Albans Noke Hotel? Share your experiences!