“Average Hotel with Dated Room”

Mercure St Albans Noke Hotel
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in St Albans
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Very efficient check in from excellent happy staff but the room was small and dated with the thinnest walls I have come across for some time. I could hear people talking in the room next door! Can't comment on the restaurant as I arrived late and left early

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

Picked this hotel to meet up with friends to stay a night ahead of a day at Warner Bros Harry Potter Studios Tour (only 15mins away). It was very easy to find off the motorway. We had a great stay: lots of parking & a valet car wash, friendly & helpful reception staff, clean room, well appointed. As we arrived earlier than the rest of our party we headed straight for the pool where the changing rooms were clean and dry with plenty of locker space. Advised early there was a charity function on but it had no impact on our stay other than leaving the hotel via a fire door to go out to dinner. Good leisurely breakfast (7-11) with plenty of hot and cold options and a stress-free checkout.
This hotel was good value for money and fulfilled all our requirements.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 November 2013

I stayed here last in 2011 and it hasn't really changed since then, so the rooms are a bit dated, though clean and tidy. I had a twin room to myself and I would have preferred a double as it would have been a bit more comfortable, but it was workable.

Staff were very good and very friendly and I would say the service was very good. The Otium Health Club is very good with a good gym for a hotel, nice pool, sauna and so on. This is a distinct advantage for this hotel.

I chose to stay here because I needed to be able to park a car and it's close to the M25, which is great if you are driving, but I would not stay here if you want or need to be near the centre. There is also nothing within easy walking distance (aside from a petrol station) so you are a bit captive, so if you don't like that sort of thing then it's not for you.

I ordered room service and it was prompt and the food was good, though I think the tray charge of £5 is ridiculous and left me in two minds as to whether room service was a service at all and not in fact an imposition on the hotel. This is way more than the norm I see in most hotels.

Breakfast is good with plenty of choice and it's a big room so they managed to fit a lot of people in.

My room was on the ground floor at the front so I had a fair bit of traffic noise. Thankfully, I am half-deaf so things like that don't tend to bother me, but if it does bother you then ask for a room facing the courtyard as that will be quieter.

Overall, I thought this place was OK but a bit dated, though you can't always get hotels with a decent gym and so on in cities so that's a plus point.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the courtyard as these will be quieter and have a slightly better view.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Andrew R
Reviewed 16 November 2013

There is a correlation between price and efficiency in the hotel world - the more you pay, the longer it takes to get in and out of the hotel. Thistle offer on-line check in but that only works if more than one of the four staff milling in and around the reception area actually deal with guests rather than studiously avoiding them. And, of course, if you are made aware of the on-line system before you arrive.
And don't try dropping your key - they will have to fire up the computer and double-check that you've not spent anything before letting you escape.
Getting to and from the room is no fun - you have to trek through the lounge area. Not what you'd expect in an up-market establishment.
Comfortable bed; handy for an overnighter. Beyond that I suspect there are better places in the area.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Umpalulu
Reviewed 12 November 2013

We had already booked our stay when we saw the other tripadvisor reviews and wondered whether we had made a mistake! Thankfully, we had no complaints whatsoever. The hotel was ideally located for our stay. It was clean, well equipped and all members of staff were extremely friendly helpful & courteous.

Room Tip: We were upgraded to a deluxe room on the ground floor so can't speak for the quality or location...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Birkers
fawadsaleem, Operations Manager at Mercure St Albans Noke Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2013

Dear Reviewer,

Thanks for sharing your recent experience, its great to have such a positive assessment of our hotel and we thank you for your custom.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the not to distant future.

Many thanks

Reviewed 11 November 2013

Stayed at The Noke, Thistle Hotel in early November 2014.

We booked a twin room this time and it was lovely, albeit a bit small. I have to say though we had the best night sleep in a hotel for ages!

The staff at this hotel are lovely and very welcoming. We didn't eat in the hotel in the evening on this occasion, but we did have a lovely full English breakfast on the Sunday morning. We have stayed in the hotel on two previous occasions and it has been faultless. However, my only criticism on this occasion was that the breakfast staff were very slow to clear the tables even though they had the time. Its only a small point, but when you are sat on a very small table for two there isn't much space for empty plates!

All in all though, we would not hesitate to stay at this well placed from the motorway Thistle Hotel in the future.

Room Tip: Have stayed at this hotel three times now and think the rooms in the new part of the hotel are the b...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Reviewer

Firstly thanks for choosing to stay at The Noke by Thistle, and secondly thank you sharing your feedback with the Trip Advisor community.

I was very happy to hear that you had so many positives to share with trip advisor community about our hotel, staff members and breakfast food quality your custom is much appreciated. Disappointed that you couldn’t enjoy our dinner offerings and hospitality this time but I can assure you that next time when you do you will really enjoy that experience as well.

With regards to service being slow at breakfast, first and foremost I would like to apologies for the inconvenience. I have picked this up with our restaurant and bar manager, initially he was very sorry to hear your comments however has assured me that refresher training will be carried out to make sure we work smartly in all areas.

Once again thank you for your kind feedback, we look forward to welcome you in near future.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 31 October 2013

The Deluxe double I stayed in is what you would expect from a premier inn or Travelodge. The Otium Health & Leisure Club is what makes it worth staying here over a generic alternative.

A few of the staff where very friendly and made you feel welcome, some lacked the attention to detail, but what you would expect from young waiting staff.

The biggest issue I had with The Thistle are its food and drinks prices, they are expensive even for a hotel. I would recommend adventuring out of the hotel, St Albans has a few great places with exceptional food cheaper than mediocre food at extraordinary prices at The Thistle.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
fawadsaleem, Operations Manager at Mercure St Albans Noke Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2013

Dear Reviewer,

Very sorry to read that our deluxe rooms were not to you liking, however I was happy to hear that you found most of our staff members very friendly and helpful, I do agree that we have got couple of new starters who are under training at the moment who may of lacked some attention to detail however I can assure you that training is under process for all new starters and it will rectify this issue moving forward.

With regards to our food and drink prices being expensive I would like to advise you that our prices sit on a level within the local hotel market so your comments seem somewhat unfounded. So it’s disappointing to read your experience was tainted by the price in our restaurant being compared to the local area pubs and restaurants which are the closest in the area.

Thanks for your constructive feedback, as ever we will use this to improve were highlighted.

Many Thanks,

Ardmore House
#8 of 10 in St Albans
Premier Inn Watford North Hotel
Mercure London North Watford Hunton Park Hotel

Been to Mercure St Albans Noke Hotel? Share your experiences!