“Christmas Gala Night”

Mercure St Albans Noke Hotel
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in St Albans
Reviewed 29 December 2013

My husband and I stayed here in mid December for our company Christmas do.

Our room was clean and comfortable. Breakfast was lovely and the meal provided on the evening was perfectly acceptable.

On a more negative note, our key was deactivated whilst we were at breakfast and this took several trips to reception to resolve; the last one resulting in the lady on reception stating that we had given her the incorrect room number which we had not. Additionally, we felt that the price per night was significantly more than the hotel warranted.

• Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank Emma W
Michael L, Manager at Mercure St Albans Noke Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Dear Emma W,

Thank you for your review.

I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and particularly pleased that you enjoyed the experience in our restaurant.

I am sorry to hear that we let ourselves down regards the handling of your room key and I can only apologise for this .

I will pass your comments to the teams involved and we look forward to welcoming you back to stay next time you are in the area.

All the best
Michael

Reviewed 27 December 2013

I had my parents over and we stayed at the hotel. Rooms clean and breakfast good standard. I invited friends to watch the Milan derby that was being played on a Sunday evening and was spoken to very rudely by gentleman in the bar. Asked if he could put it on BT sport and he just shouted no and slammed the door in our face as we came from the outside.

The pool and spa is good and breakfast has many options. Would stay closer in town as the bar is unwelcoming.

2  Thank Massimo B

Dear Massimo B,

Thank you for your review.

I am sorry to hear that your visit to us was let down by a negative experience in our bar. I have spoken with the Manager in charge and fedback your comments.

I am pleased to see from your other comments that you did enjoy the room and breakfast so hopefully that memory will be the lasting one.

All the best
Michael

Reviewed 23 December 2013

Having stayed in a few nice hotels, we'd say the hotel interior is quite attractive. The hotel rooms are clean and simple; just what we needed for a relaxing few nights away. Although we didn't opt in for breakfast, the room service menu was nice and reasonably priced.

I would say I had a niggle about some customer service issues. For instance if I ask at reception to have a dinner tray removed from my room because no one was answering the customer service no., I don't then expect to be sent to the restaurant to ask them myself (a job they didn't seem able to do).

I also made two bookings having decided to extend my stay by an extra night. I received a bill before my full stay was over. But when, on our way out, we queried it at the reception we were told, "it's okay as you're down as a stay over"....
'okay' is not 'sorry our mistake'. But then on our return our hotel room keys are deactivated, but again, "it's normal". Small things but irritating that these make the hotel appear a little disorganised and not as 4* as you expect.

Also, I'm all for charitable donations but I don't appreciate the idea of £1 donations to a charity I know nothing about being added to my bill without prior consent. It was removed without fuss but just seems a backwards way of asking for donations.

Besides these small things the hotel is in a great location to explore St. Albans.

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 17 December 2013

First off, this place is very handy as it's close to the motorway and main A road into St Albans. It's noisy if you're on the wrong side of the hotel because of this.

Staff are generally excellent, especially on reception and in restaurant at breakfast time.

Bar and restaurant staff can be a bit surly at times.

Rooms are okay ONLY if you have a deluxe room, the standard ones are horrible.

Pool is a bit small but adequate nonetheless. Gym pretty good (Otium).

Food isn't great and it's a bit pricey too, but it's the drink that's a real rip off. Something like £8.50 for a GLASS of house red! Not only that but they charge a fiver to take food/drink to your room if you're too lazy (or busy) to do it yourself.

So, it's good overall, food adequate, drink pricey.

I stay here about 40 nights a year so it can't bee that bad - but I avoid the wine in order to reduce my bill :-)

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 December 2013

I went for the Gala night last week - meal at £25, no wine included
one of the worst meals I have had - roast plum and red pepper soup tasted like diluted ketchup I think they missed the word tomato out of the description
and the main meal was tasteless, certainly not worth £25
Table placed near the doors which was open most of the night so sat in the cold draught
while partygoers fetched beers from the main bar in the hotel
Never again

2  Thank LJP200
Reviewed 16 December 2013

I don't know where to begin, we arrived to find a huge Christmas party going and were unable to park so waited a long time for a space to be freed up. Checked in and asked for a quiet room away from the party noise. The first room smelt strongly of stale smoke, the second was opposite the petrol station on the road side so traffic noise was a problem as this hotel is on a roundabout and busy road. The final room was great if you like the colour brown I suppose it hides the dirt well, It was so morbid and small, we were able to hear the guests in the room next door as the walls provided no sound proofing so if you want to listen to listen to the television in the next room from 6 am then this hotel is a must! There has to be better places to stay in St Albans than this overgraded 4 star.

2  Thank jenny b
Reviewed 15 December 2013

As a resident at this hotel during one of their party nights the service my friend and I received was appalling. No restaurant facilities or other areas where available for residents not attending the parties until much later in the evening when we where expected to sit amongst used glasses and bottles. After a catalogue of disasters we received our food two hours after our reservation. On checkout we voiced our opinion to the duty manager who refunded the cost of our meal. A shame that it tainted our visit as the room, leisure facilities and breakfast all represented good value for money.

1  Thank fordsout
Ardmore House
#7 of 10 in St Albans
Premier Inn Watford North Hotel
Mercure London North Watford Hunton Park Hotel

Been to Mercure St Albans Noke Hotel? Share your experiences!