“More than just a hotel...” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mercure St Albans Noke Hotel

Mercure St Albans Noke Hotel
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in St Albans
Amsterdam, Nl
“More than just a hotel...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

I stayed here in December last year because of the low online rate and had such a good time I specifically chose the Noke on my subsequent visit to St Alban's! I have travelled the world, stayed in some of the best and a few of the worst the industry has to offer. I have never, but never experienced such a friendly crew!

From check in to check out ALL the staff are friendly, helpful, attentive and give the impression that they enjoy working in the hospitality game.

Rooms were clean, as was the bathroom suite. No minibars or other nonsense but a several bottles of mineral water and an adequate supply of coffee and tea. Complimentary, of course.

One downside. The first time we were there we ate in the bar-restaurant. Once, but never again. Not a big problem as there are Chinese and Indian restaurants within walking distance. Breakfast (full English) was fine.

A big up to Tom for tolerating my bizarre sense of humour, Christine for making the most decorative coffee concoctions you could imagine and Gemma and Monika on reception for just being wonderfully considerate of newly-arrived guests.

A serious tip of the hat to one person I didn't meet; the manager. Sir or madam, I would be proud to have a team as good as yours. I can only assume you lead by example as this level of quality can not be achieved by coercion.

I'll be back :)

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Michael L, Manager at Mercure St Albans Noke Hotel, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Dear Bill Van Amsterdam,

Thanks for your review.

It was great to read such high praise of the team and your stay in general. I have passed on the feedback to the whole hotel team and specifically the individuals mentioned.

We look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in town

Michael

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
St Albans, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014

Booked last minute for a nice night away from home, being a St. Albans local I have always seen The Noke and associated it with class and high quality so my expectations were high.

The check-in was smooth and our room upon opening the door was nice enough. The room itself was quite hot and humid however this was an issue I assume has been raised in the past as it came with a large fan which made sleeping manageable! The two other issues we had with our room was a faulty kettle which leaked whilst boiling and was also too hot to pick up using the handle when boiled. The main issue was that our shower did not work, something that I discovered too late to address as I was leaving for work in the morning.

Other than the negatives about the room, it was nicely furnished, a large TV and free Wi-Fi. The ironing board was a welcome addition also! The bed was comfortable, especially the duvet and pillows.

Breakfast was the highlight, a good variety and well cooked in the usual self-serve buffet style.

Overall a nice stay but not as special as I believed it would be, it is at the end of the day just a nice standard hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Michael L, Manager at Mercure St Albans Noke Hotel, responded to this review, 5 April 2014
Dear Scott W,

Thanks for your review.

I am sorry to hear that you had a couple of small issues with your room. I would encourage you to report this to reception so that we can rectify the issue during your stay if at all possible.

If you do visit us again it would be worth noting that we have air conditioning in our deluxe rooms which may suit you better.

I am pleased to see overall your experience was a good one and would like to assure you that the team are all working hard to ensure the Noke remains synonymous with the high standards you have mentioned.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

I was told this was a 4 star hotel, is not. I have stayed in far better 3 star hotels and it compares to 2 stars that I have stayed at in London. It needs updating it is shabby but not chic. The hallway upstairs smelt a little. It is hot, no air conditioning, (in a 4 star?!). There are better hotels, better deals Thistle should not be happy with the way this comes across.

Room Tip: ask to see the room first otherwise they'll put you in one that needs updating and looked at if...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Barry S
Dear Barry S,

Thanks for your review.

Firstly I would like to apologise if our hotel did not meet your standards.

I would like to clarifiy however that our hotel does indeed have air conditioning in the public areas, health club and all deluxe bedrooms.

Travellers are raving about these St Albans hotels

London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014

Really enjoyed my two day visit to the Thistle. Nice comfortable beds with clean and well maintained facilities, a surprise for such an old vintage building.

The staff were of extremely high standard, efficient and courteous. The meeting rooms were well stocked and well presented.

This place makes a great change from all of the chain hotels, it's a great looking building in and out and it's been designed with modern convenience in mind.

Would definitely book again!

Room Tip: It's on a busy roundabout, so make sure your room is at the back. It can get quite noisy at th...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear Mark Tindal,

Thanks for your review.

I am very pleased to see such positive comments regards our meeting facilities and especially our staff. We are working hard to deliver 5 star service and it seems that we are well on the road to delivering that.

We look forward to seeing you again.

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

It's a nice hotel the room was good and the pool and leisure facilities are nice to use.
The food in the bar area was lovely, well worth a visit.
We were woken a few times by noisy guests in the halls which isn't the hotels fault, but soft closing doors would help!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Helen C
Michael L, Manager at Mercure St Albans Noke Hotel, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Dear Helen C,

Thanks for your review.

I am very pleased to see your positive comments regarding the hotel as a whole.

I am sorry that you were disturbed by some of our other guests during the stay, and I do appreciate your understanding with this matter

We hope to welcome you again the next time you are in town.

King's Lynn, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014

Myself and various colleagues stayed here for business this week. Clean hotel, nice bar, friendly staff.

Two things let this hotel down badly however,
- location- not a bad distance from the local town but you have to make a very precarious turning off of a busy roundabout to enter the hotel grounds.
-HOT- it was boiling hot all night and turning off radiators made no difference as the rest of the hotel was sweltering which filtered into my room.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank James B
Dear James B,

Thanks for your review.

I am pleased to see your comments regarding the cleanliness of our hotel along with the friendly and welcoming team.

I do apologise that you found your room to be warmer than you would like, perhaps next time you visit one of our air conditioned rooms may suit you better.

Best wishes
Manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

I stayed at the Thistle on business, arriving after 6:30 and leaving early. It was a very pleasant stay, check in was quick & easy, the Wi-Fi in the room free and worked well (actually very well non of the handing over all of your personal details before being begrudgingly granted access) one click and you're in.

I chose to eat dinner in the bar watching football, it was the wrong result, though I can't blame that on the hotel management, decent food well served and very efficient.

Had I been organised I would have taken swimming trunks and used the pool, maybe next time.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank comfycol
Dear Comfycol,

Thanks for your review.

I am pleased to hear you enjoyed the stay with us, particularly your feedback regarding our high speed WIFI and food offerings.

Apologies that the football didnt go your way and we do look forward to welcoming you again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St Albans
Premier Inn St. Albans/Bricket Wood Hotel
Ardmore House
Ardmore House
#7 of 9 in St Albans

Been to Mercure St Albans Noke Hotel? Share your experiences!