“Okay ... Not fantastic ”

Mercure St Albans Noke Hotel
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in St Albans
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

Hotel was dirty ... Very loud and noisy as there was a wedding going on, people that had been drinking causing a nuisance, shouting swearing music which was loud must have gone on until 2am or something silly, dated inside carpet needs a good clean, prices are a rip off

Wouldn't stay here again

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank razzLondon
Michael L, Manager at Mercure St Albans Noke Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Dear RazzLondon,

Thanks for your review.

I am sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your stay with us recently.

We take all feedback seriously and I will investigate the points you raised in relation to noisy Wedding guests.

Reviewed 12 April 2014

Only stayed here for one night, but it's such a lovely hotel. Staff was very friendly and helpful and the rooms where clean and very comfortable. The bed slept amazingly :)

The breakfast is recommended, so much choice and it was all fresh and delicious! would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Greenstar88_12,

Thanks for your review.

It was very pleasing to read such fantastic comments regarding our Hotel.

We look forward to seeing you the next time you are in town.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

We didn't pay a lot for our room, £65. It was a standard twin. It was clean and fairly comfortable. Here's the problem, the standard rooms don't have air con and face the busy road (there had to be a catch). We visited in April, and the rooms were inexplicably boiling. We had to open the windows = big road noise all night. If this isn't a problem, then fine. No real gripe other than the temperature and road noise. Probably wouldn't stay again because of heat and road noise. We we offered a deluxe room, with air con, for £20 extra, I'm not sure if that was per person. We decided not to. Can't comment on breakfast as we passed on that.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Aroomsomewhere,

Thanks for your review.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay us except for the room being a little hot for you. So you are aware the upgraded price you were quoted was for the room and not per person.

I hope the next time you are in town you stay with us and sample the breakfast this time.

Reviewed 10 April 2014

My usual Hatfield hotel had a wedding party and would only offer me their rack rate; so I opted for the Noke. Best decision I've made in a long time.

The hotel is built up around an only county style house; the room was comfortable and well appointed. There were windows overlooking a large grassed courtyard (thankfully the bathroom windows are frosted!). Able to have both open to get fresh air although the room temperature controls were easy to operate.

Breakfast was offered from 7am at weekends (massive tick from me) and was well present and the hot food looked freshly cooked as was indeed 'hot' the fried eggs were runny.

Dinner could be taken 'bistro' style in the bar or more formal in the restaurant. Opted to put on a pair of slacks and a shirt and eat more formally; A very good range on the set menu and service was very good. Will swap this for my regular Hatfield hotel in future

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Dear Christines_Friend,

Thanks for your review.

I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay so much that you will be back to see us again soon.

We take all feedback seriously and it is great to have such positive comments to share with the team.

We look forward to seeing you in the future.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

Have stayed here twice now on business and definitely wouldn't stay again. I only came back as I thought I would give it another go. I won't be staying again.

The main issue with this hotel is that it's impossible to sleep as they rooms are extremely warm. This was on both occasions. You only have tiny windows which don't let much air in. The radiators were off so I have no idea why it is so hot but it's unbearable.

The first time I stayed, the hot tub wasn't working and the restaurant was closed. I arrived at around 4pm on a Sunday and could only get cold sandwiches after travelling for hours.

The second time, I put my card out for breakfast to be delivered and nobody collected it. I had to call reception and have it delivered. When it arrived it wasn't even what I had asked for.

The actual hotel is nice and clean, so it's a real shame that it is let down by these issues.

Room Tip: It doesn't really matter which room you choose - they all seem to be too warm.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank DB_5855

Dear DB_5855,

Thanks for your review.

Apologies that you did not enjoy your recent visit to the Hotel. It would seem we fell short of our usually high standards in a few areas during your stay and this will be investigated.

I am pleased to read however that you found the hotel to be very clean and of a high standard in general.

Reviewed 5 April 2014

I stayed here in December last year because of the low online rate and had such a good time I specifically chose the Noke on my subsequent visit to St Alban's! I have travelled the world, stayed in some of the best and a few of the worst the industry has to offer. I have never, but never experienced such a friendly crew!

From check in to check out ALL the staff are friendly, helpful, attentive and give the impression that they enjoy working in the hospitality game.

Rooms were clean, as was the bathroom suite. No minibars or other nonsense but a several bottles of mineral water and an adequate supply of coffee and tea. Complimentary, of course.

One downside. The first time we were there we ate in the bar-restaurant. Once, but never again. Not a big problem as there are Chinese and Indian restaurants within walking distance. Breakfast (full English) was fine.

A big up to Tom for tolerating my bizarre sense of humour, Christine for making the most decorative coffee concoctions you could imagine and Gemma and Monika on reception for just being wonderfully considerate of newly-arrived guests.

A serious tip of the hat to one person I didn't meet; the manager. Sir or madam, I would be proud to have a team as good as yours. I can only assume you lead by example as this level of quality can not be achieved by coercion.

I'll be back :)

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Bill Van Amsterdam,

Thanks for your review.

It was great to read such high praise of the team and your stay in general. I have passed on the feedback to the whole hotel team and specifically the individuals mentioned.

We look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in town

Reviewed 3 April 2014

Booked last minute for a nice night away from home, being a St. Albans local I have always seen The Noke and associated it with class and high quality so my expectations were high.

The check-in was smooth and our room upon opening the door was nice enough. The room itself was quite hot and humid however this was an issue I assume has been raised in the past as it came with a large fan which made sleeping manageable! The two other issues we had with our room was a faulty kettle which leaked whilst boiling and was also too hot to pick up using the handle when boiled. The main issue was that our shower did not work, something that I discovered too late to address as I was leaving for work in the morning.

Other than the negatives about the room, it was nicely furnished, a large TV and free Wi-Fi. The ironing board was a welcome addition also! The bed was comfortable, especially the duvet and pillows.

Breakfast was the highlight, a good variety and well cooked in the usual self-serve buffet style.

Overall a nice stay but not as special as I believed it would be, it is at the end of the day just a nice standard hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Michael L, Manager at Mercure St Albans Noke Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2014

Dear Scott W,

Thanks for your review.

I am sorry to hear that you had a couple of small issues with your room. I would encourage you to report this to reception so that we can rectify the issue during your stay if at all possible.

If you do visit us again it would be worth noting that we have air conditioning in our deluxe rooms which may suit you better.

I am pleased to see overall your experience was a good one and would like to assure you that the team are all working hard to ensure the Noke remains synonymous with the high standards you have mentioned.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St Albans
Ardmore House
#8 of 10 in St Albans
Premier Inn Watford North Hotel
Mercure London Watford Hotel

Been to Mercure St Albans Noke Hotel? Share your experiences!