“Sadly disappointed” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in St Albans
London, United Kingdom
“Sadly disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

Stayed here for my partners birthday. The rooms were a good size, the facilities are great with pool and the gardens were lovely with lots of flowers. However after looking forward to a well deserved lie in we were woken up at 8.30am by the extremely loud fire alarm going off in our room and couldn't go back to sleep - we were told this was because someone in the building had had a shower! Breakfast was understaffed and hot food wasn't replenished enough, there also weren't any glasses. We also weren't aware the buffet breakfast wasn't the only option - we didn't have a menu on our table which was annoying as had I known or been told I'd have ordered something else. Mixed views on our stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Michael L, Manager at Mercure St Albans Noke Hotel, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear Hanannah_207,

Thanks for your review.

I am pleased to read that overall your stay was a good one.

I have taken your comments on board regards breakfast and have spoken with the team involved. Unfortunately the fire alarm was outside of our control but I do apologise if this disturbed you.

We look forward to welcome you back the next time you are in town.

Michael

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

Plenty of parking and even a hand car wash if needed.Reception was excellent, both checking in and out, with an express option available if needed.Everything was clean and tidy, if a little dated and tired in some areas of my room. I used room service for food, which was excellent - timely and polite if a little expensive with the £5 tariff. Storage was excellent, some of the best I've seen, with drawers in the wardrobe even. My room was above a recycling area so I did get some noise from the bottle bank and some cigarette smoke smell from some staff on a break. It was a little too hot for me, especially as my room fan didn't work. WiFi good, although TV poor for me - seems to be a theme in this area. I didn't use the pool / gym / spa so can't comment. I would stay again.

Room Tip: Stay away from bins / recycling areas.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Host Mania,

Thanks for your review.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to seeing you again next time you are in town.

Gillingham, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

We booked for an overnight stay hoping to make full use of the pool as we were told over the phone that the pool closed at nine o clock, flew up the motorway booked into this wonderful setting and beautiful room rushed along to the pool
We got in and relaxed. Well so we thought the person behind the the counter came and advised us the pool will close in half hour what a shame and a rush our daughter was crushed.
Made our way back to our room so many doors and corridors all look the Same!
We ate in the wine bar the food was small and over priced
Then we went too bed the sheets were fresh and crisp but at 3.45 the fire alarm went off scaring ur awake. Nothing happen so back to sleep until 5.45
The fire alarm went off again still no one came and nothing happened. It was a rough nights sleep
Next morning we was told it was a problem in the kitchen. And that's all nothing else so we had to lump it. We had a tired day

Room Tip: Ask for a quite one as it close to a busy road and wedding party tent
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear Sally P,

Thanks for your review.

I am pleased to read that enjoyed your stay with us.

I am sorry that the fire alarm disturbed your in the night. This was an unfortunate incident outside of our control, thanks for your understanding in this matter.

We hope to see you again soon and hopefully earlier to enjoy the health club for longer :-)

Chester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

We stayed here as an extended family for a special occasion in June. We were well looked after and the facilities were good. The location is pleasant yet within a minute of the M25.

The hotel is not cheap, but at least they provided a really good stay for us. The rooms are not huge but were perfectly adequate for our needs.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Authoritis
Dear Authoritis,

Thanks for your review.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back again.

Chester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

Terrible customer service, harrassed staff and poor food. £ 18 for a sirloin steak most of which was gristle.
Hotel is like a rabbit warren and premier rooms are about the same as an average standard room.
Hotel has no personality and is un welcoming - overall a very disappointing stay.

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank grant s
Dear Grant S,

Thanks for your review.

I am sorry to read that you did not enjoy your recent stay with us.

We take all feedback seriously and I have reviewed your comments with the teams mentioned to see what improvements can be made in the future.

Micahel

Travellers are raving about these St Albans hotels

Yarm
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

I'm attending a family wedding at this hotel and booked a room over 3 weeks ago for a 1 night stay. Thistle online AND the hotel both took a payment of £89.24p from my account to confirm my booking. I have spent the past 3 weeks phoning (including a lot of waiting and causing more expense), emailing (4 sent, 1 reply) and doing all of the work to get my money back. How they think this is acceptable is beyond me!
I was told the last Friday the money would be in my account Monday. No. Phoned today and was asked for my email address (why didn't they phone me?) and told it was coming today. No. I have reported the company to trading standard and still wait for my refund. Disgraceful customer relations and service.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Clark G
Dear Clark G,

Thanks for your review.

I can only apologise for the delay in resolving this issue. This was clearly an unfortunate error on our behalf and I am pleased that you have now received the full refund.

Chester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Booked this hotel for 3 nights as it was close to Harry Potter Studio Tour, and a good memory of a number of good stays some years ago!

We had booked two rooms one for my wife and myself and one for the boys aged 15 and 21, we had decided to upgrade to a deluxe room whilst we the boys wouldn't mind standard!

The rooms seemed to be miles from each other ours on the first floor and the boys on the Ground floor, but as they are quite responsible so we didn't make a big thing of it,

However it became very clear that the difference between our Deluxe room and the standard room was an air conditioning unit bolted to the wall, which must have been in place of any storage to put anything away! As we had booked for 3 nights I went down and complained about the lack of storage when the three girls on reception looked a bit blank and told me that I had a wardrobe in the room, and will have hangers in it !(wow Hangers)

We decided that the room was clean and we would not be doing anything other than sleep so we would get on with things, we managed to hang six items it the wardrobe until it was full and proceeded of out to St Albans for tea.

Following morning we were up and out early, due to no sleep due to a wedding and there guests rolling round the hotel grounds and the noise from the busy road that runs past and the adjacent Shell petrol station!, so all showered and shaved (which was a challenge without any lights over the mirror) and passing a number of discarded trays in the hallways with decomposing food and drinks on, we set off for a great-day out including an evening meal at Jamie's Italian in town just a few minutes from the hotel.

On our return I was somewhat disturbed that the same tray of decomposed food were still in the hallways and by this time starting to smell!

We made the most of the stay and travelled into London for two of the days but on reflection should have found a hotel further south as it took a good hour each way in the car.

On checkout we were asked about our stay and our comments seemed to be ignored but would be noted (wow)

A tip: Reasonable location for Harry Potter tour however don't bother upgrading as the boys room was finished to a higher standard than ours if not slightly older décor, it even had draws.

Room Tip: Its O.K for one night! Do not bother paying for upgrade, its not worth it, ask if they have a weddin...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank J H
Michael L, Manager at Mercure St Albans Noke Hotel, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear J H,

Thanks for your review.

I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us.

I have reviewed your feedback carefully and picked up the key points with the management team. I would like to assure you that I have taken your comments seriously and appreciate you taking the time to feed this back.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St Albans
Premier Inn St. Albans/Bricket Wood Hotel
Ardmore House
Ardmore House
#7 of 9 in St Albans

Been to Mercure St Albans Noke Hotel? Share your experiences!