“Leaving the car park is like entering death race 2000”

Mercure St Albans Noke Hotel
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in St Albans
Reviewed 31 July 2014

The Noke is close to Luton airport good if you need to catch a plane, bad if your trying to get a good nights sleep and people are leaving at all hours. The standard of service is good, the food choice is limited and the decor in the rooms is tired like the reviewer.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Andy C
Michael L, Manager at Mercure St Albans Noke Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Dear Andy C,

Thanks for your review.

It's disappointing to read such mixed comments. We clearly ticked many boxes during your stay but fell short in some areas that were largely outside of our control. I can only apologise if the hotel did not meet your expectations.

I do hope the next time you are in the area you consider staying with us again.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Bad experience on arrival as the couple in front of me we having some issues. Not enough staff on reception. Card key did not work twice so a long walk back to reception. Sorted after 10 mins. Gym was good but attendant slightly rude. Food very good and bar service excellent. Breakfast was very nice/

Room Tip: Rooms were warm, but it is the Summer
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Vaughan459

Dear Vaughan459,

Thanks for your review.

Apologies that you had a couple of small issues upon your arrival but I am glad to see that your overall experience was a good one.

We do look forward to seeing you the next time you are in the area.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

I've stayed at this particular hotel hundreds of times and, although I did review it ages ago, an update is required.

Very handy location, but next to a very busy main road so make sure you ask for a quiet room.

There are normal (tiny, boiling hot, '50's decor rooms) and deluxe rooms at this hotel. Be sure to get the latter otherwise you're looking at a 1* review on TripAdvisor. Don't say I didn't warn you...

Lovely hanging baskets and flower beds here - they always look great - even in the Winter.

Good leisure centre gym/pool but something in the pool area is always broken. Usually the jacuzzi or steam room. Pool small (25m?) but a nice addition and you're often on your own in there.

Reception and check-in / out is usually pretty good.

Breakfast is a buffet and it's fine but can get very busy. So watch out for timings here.

Rooms - deluxe are ok. Decent TV and fairly comfy beds. Rooms are a decent size with good bathrooms too.

So, what lets it down then I hear you ask?

There are two things actually. The overpriced drink (£8 for a glass of house wine) and the horrible food; which is also overpriced.

They recently changed the menu. Thus means they removed a couple of barely decent dishes, substituted them with much worse ones, and put all the prices up. It's the worst menu I see in my travels now. I've tried several of the new dishes now and (1) they never look the same twice and (2) they are universally too expensive and (3) they're horrible. Especially the Harissa Chicken Skewers - which even the server tried to persuade me not to order saying that everyone complained about them. No wonder. AVOID. A glass of cheap wine and a burger in the bar is going to cost you well over £25 if you ask them to deliver to your room.

Summary: Convenient location. Deluxe rooms are ok. Food and drink overpriced. Food and menu dreadful.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank brushsalesman

Dear brushsalesman,

Thanks for your review.

I was pleased to read all the positive comments you made in regards of our leisure club, breakfast and reception team.

I am disappointed to read that you didn't enjoy our new menu as we have received lots of positive comments since its introduction, I do however appreciate personal tastes are just that.

We look forward to seeing you next time you are in the area.

Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

I have been staying here on and off for over 22 years and have decided enough is enough. Who would believe that the England Football Team once stayed here to prepare for and England game. The place is now appalling. Rooms are tatty and not clean. Breakfast is a joke. Staff are rude and don't give a damn. If you are thinking of staying here because it is cheap, then don't. Best option is a travel lodge or a holiday inn express. If you are in charge of this hotel ....SHAME ON YOU for ruining something that was once fantastic !

Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank Robintaylor1

Dear Robintaylor1,

Thanks for your review.

I would really like the opportunity to discuss your comments further. If you could spare the time to send me an email on michael.lee2@thistle.co.uk I will come straight back to you.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

A hotel on the road to the M1, and when we stayed full of students and business people. The students were having an end of year ball. The rooms are smaller than what I had expected. A large car park includes a £6 car wash. The bar staff were not happy that we turned up at midnight, making loud bangs as they tried to close! The Reception staff were excellent, as were the breakfast staff. The breakfast was good....had better, but good. It gives an impression of opulence, but with small rooms and your name and room number available to everyone on the breakfast roll list, you kind of feel things could be better.

Room Tip: Ask for a large one!?
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Dear touchline,

Thanks for your review.

I am pleased to read that overall your stay was an enjoyable one.

I have spoken with the bar team regarding your comments and I do appreciate you feeding those back.

We look forward to seeing you next time you are in the area.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

I don't usually write a review as I stay in hotels every week with work, but this is one of the worst I have stayed at. There is no air conditioning and the rooms are extremely hot, the rooms are very dated and the decor is awful, the hotel smells very dusty, the food is ok but very small portions and I found the reception staff very unhelpful. I was greeted with a member of staff saying to her colleague "Jesus Christ I can't deal with any more complaints" I will be sure to get this hotel removed from our preferred hotels list.

Room Tip: Don't stay at this hotel
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Martin O
Michael L, Manager at Mercure St Albans Noke Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Dear Martin O,

Thanks for your review.

I am disappointed to see that you did not enjoy your stay with us.

I would very much like the opportunity to discuss this with you further. If you could spare the time to send me an email on michael.lee2@thistle.co.uk I would be grateful.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Think this has been said before.... No sound proofing/ poor old double glazing if any.as on busy road/ roundabout you hear every motor vehicle during the night, no air con in room.
The night we stayed there was a school prom or wedding in a marquee at the side of the hotel, lots of youths being ill and laid on the floor when we got back and had to step over them to get into reception. Went into the bar where some friends was having night cap,asked man behind the bar if could have a coffee,was asked to wait a " few mins" ended up waiting 30 mins and when asked if I wanted coffee i said it was too late now and would make some in my room,asked for extra milk etc but did not have any for me to take back to room,but nice man on reception did bring some to our room 5 mins later. The grouting in the shower/ bath needs replacing but all rooms clean and tidy, beds comfortable etc.
Breakfast great with wide choice to satisfying all tastes,would be nice to keep milk chilled as by 9:30am the milk was room temp for cereals ( I like mine cold) but that might just be me!?
Staff friendly just not in rush to serve customers. Plenty of parking and hotel provides free WiFi

Room Tip: Ask for a room farthest from road if need good nights sleep
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Michael L, Manager at Mercure St Albans Noke Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear Shazzery,

Thanks for your review.

I am sorry that we didn't exceed your expectations in every area during this visit. I have fed your comments back to the teams involved and this will help us to continue to grow and improve our business.

I hope the next time you visit the area you stay with us again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St Albans
#8 of 10 in St Albans
Jurys Inn London Watford
Holiday Inn Express St. Albans - M25, Jct. 22
Mercure London North Watford Hunton Park Hotel

Been to Mercure St Albans Noke Hotel? Share your experiences!