“Superb Indian food in relaxed atmosphere accompanied by family like service” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Alban

The Alban
Ranked #7 of 323 Restaurants in St Albans
Price range: US$19 - US$25
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Balti
Good for: Cheap Eats, Romantic, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Delivery, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Established since 1984, we are a family run restaurant who continue to add to the British culinary landscape with traditional and home made Indian and Bengali food. We believe that whilst keeping to the old and traditional recipes, we will keep searching, evolving and perfecting innovative cooking techniques to bring you new and exciting mouth watering dishes. We look forward to welcoming you soon.
St Albans, United Kingdom
“Superb Indian food in relaxed atmosphere accompanied by family like service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

Having been to a number of Indian restaurants across the UK, the Alban Tandoori in St Albans is easily one of my favourites. The atmosphere is relaxed accompanied by mostly white and lightly coloured furniture. Service is impeccable as staff typically treat us as if we were members of their own family. Having lived in St Albans for more than five years my wife and I have eaten here a number of times, and the atmosphere is romantic too. Several times we have also brought family visitors from my wife's country Argentina and from my own country Norway. They were all very impressed with atmosphere, food and service. On our most recent visit just before Christmas we brought my wife's Venezuelan cousin with his wife, two young sons aged 8 and 11 and his father in law who had all come from Caracas to celebrate Christmas with us. On this visit I was particularly impressed with the attention the staff showed to the children by telling jokes and simply being friendly with them. In my opinion the food is as excellent as the atmosphere and service. The restaurant's popadoms are an excellent starter, and I think the accompanying dips are the best I have had. I have tried a number of their main courses including the curry monkfish (on my last visit), the tandoori trout, tandoori half chicken, jalfreezi lamb, chili chicken tikka masalla (a clear favourite when something spicy is preferred) and tandoori mixed grill. All of these dishes (and I am sure the others too) are cooked to superb homemade quality at filling and satisfying sizes, and are nicely accompanied side dishes such as naan bread or steamed vegetables. To drink I normally go for the refreshing Kingfisher lager, which I find especially nice if I go for a spicy dish. We have been to the Alban Tandoori many times before and will come back many times again, both my wife and I on our own and with family and friends.

• Visited December 2013
AlbanTandoori, Manager at The Alban, responded to this review, 17 October 2016
Thank you for your heartfelt review Stian. We really appreciate it. We hope to see you again shortly so you can try our new dishes and let us know what you think.

Saint Albans, England, United Kingdom
“Best Indian!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2013

This used to be our local Indian restaurant, we have now moved but travel across town to collect from them.
Amazing food, great service

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
AlbanTandoori, Manager at The Alban, responded to this review, 17 October 2016
Thank you for your review Stephanie. We look forward to taking your next order in the near future.
London
“Great food and excellent service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2013 via mobile

There are loads of Indian restaurants in St Albans and, in my humble opinion, this is easily the best one.

I've eaten here on my own, with a couple of business colleagues and in fairly large parties (12+) and I have never been disappointed.

The food is brilliant and the service very good too. They're always pleasant and can't do enough for you.

Try this place, you won't regret it!

Visited October 2013
AlbanTandoori, Manager at The Alban, responded to this review, 17 October 2016
Thank you for your enthusiastic review. We hope you have had a chance to try our new menu. See you soon.
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013 via mobile

We consider ourselves very lucky to have got a table at the Albans Tandoori Restaurant. Excellent food, good wine, great service, very reasonable prices. Can't really think of anything more to say!

Visited December 2013
AlbanTandoori, Manager at The Alban, responded to this review, 17 October 2016
Thank you for your lovely review Cathy. We appreciate your support over all these years and the words of encouragement you have given us.
“Delicious curry house”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2013

Ate here as a family of five. The curries are reasonable priced and delicious.. Good service from friendly staff. But the atmosphere was a bit flat but that is the only criticism. Would recommend this place to anyone who loves a good curry.

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
AlbanTandoori, Manager at The Alban, responded to this review, 17 October 2016
Thank you for your review Daniel. We look forward to seeing you in the near future.