“Best Indian restaurant in St Albans”
Review of The Alban

The Alban
Ranked #18 of 352 Restaurants in St Albans
Price range: US$21 - US$28
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Established since 1984, we are a family run restaurant who continue to add to the British culinary landscape with traditional and home made Indian and Bengali food. We believe that whilst keeping to the old and traditional recipes, we will keep searching, evolving and perfecting innovative cooking techniques to bring you new and exciting mouth watering dishes. We look forward to welcoming you soon.
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I have lived in St Albans for 26 years and still rate this Indian restaurant the best in the area.The Hundi chicken is to die for

AlbanTandoori, Manager at The Alban, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2016

Thank you for your enthusiastic review Kath. We're chuffed that you enjoy the Hundi Murgh so much. We hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

This wonderfully friendly family run restaurant is a "home from home" for us. We are always made to feel so welcome and nothing is too much trouble for the team. The menu has recently been updated and with this some interesting new dishes have arrived. I tried the sea bass last night; a very generous portion of two fillets of lovely fresh fish, panfried in a light spicy batter with a refreshing sauce. Highly recommended for fish lovers. I can't wait to work my way through the rest of the new dishes! PS A recent refurbishment of the exterior and window dressings/lighting will please the reviewers who have mentioned the lack of "kerb appeal" - the outside is back on track !

1  Thank TheDubsAt12

Thank you both for your lovely review. See you soon.

Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

I love this place so much I hired out the downstairs restaurant for 45 family and friends prior to my wedding day. The chaps didn't let us down. Fast and efficient service, food always amazing and the comments from my party afterwards was how much they loved their meals. Dark moon, jalfrezi and chilli masala are my favourites but to be honest I think it's all great. I've had curry in many places, and these guys rank number 1 for me.
Thanks very much and are you soon!

Thank you for your lovely review Russ. We look forward to seeing you again shortly.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

I've known about this place for years when I lived and worked in the area, but always walked past. The exterior is looking a bit shabby, with letters hanging off the fascia, or missing altogether and that made me wonder what the inside was all about. How wrong could I be?

Visited with my other half and a friend before going to see a band in The Horn opposite. The minute I put my hand on the door handle to go in I could see fresh paintwork and a modern, newly decorated restaurant. The inside is a far cry from the outside and I was intrigued to go in and try the food.

For once this isn't your run of the mill Indian. There are different dishes to try and even the yogurt sauce that comes with the pickle tray isn't your usual minty stuff.

I had a Chicken and Spinach dish for my main course, the other half had a Vegetable Massala and our friend had Fish in Garlic, Ginger and Mustard. We all agreed that the dishes were really special and different to anything else we'd had. The rice and side dishes were great too.

The staff were friendly and attentive and explained the dishes to us. The toilets were spotlessly clean.

We've had a couple of Indian meals since but keep harking back to this one. A trip to St Albans is definitely on the cards soon. If they get their outer fascia fixed, the place will be packed to the rafters I'm sure.

Thank you for your lovely review and trying us out despite the decor on the outside of the restaurant at the time. We have recently revitalised the outside of the restaurant and made some changes inside. We have a new refined menu ready for you to try. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

When my boyfriend told me we had to take the train to St. Albans to eat at his favorite Indian restaurant, I thought he was crazy. However, it was worth the trip! Within an easy walk of the train station, we enjoyed dinner there on a Sunday evening in May, 2014.

The waitstaff and manager could not have been more helpful or attentive. They even served hot, cloth handwipes after dinner. We ordered a korma and a dish called Chicken Hundi that was delicious. Full of flavor. The papardams were made on the spot as was the garlic naan which was scrumptious. The prices were good. A glass of wine was the same cost as a pint of beer, which is rare in this beer-loving culture.

I am particularly concerned with service and often find the flavor of the food falters if the service is tepid. NOT THE CASE HERE. They came by every few minutes and were quick to notice when we needed attention. I could not find a single fault with the service which included bringing the temperature up to meet our needs and a personal escort to make sure I could find the bathroom. The other customers seemed to be regulars and the waiter remembered all of their favorite drinks proactively. The manager shook hands with us warmly and said he hoped to see us again. He certainly will, next time we are near London!

Thank you for your lovely review Shelley. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Alban when you are near London again.