“Good service & a comfortable bed”
Review of Sopwell House

Sopwell House
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in St Albans
Reviewed 18 February 2012

Stayed here for one night due to a company event. I had a decent sized room and as a few of use were staying I managed to see some other rooms too, including a couple in the mews which were a very generous size! My bed was very comfortable and had a bathroom with a separate bath and shower (unfortunately the show was at a fixed height, which is always frustrating if you are taller than the shower). The bar area was spacious and a good place to work (earlier) and relax (later).

The biggest problem I had was the distance from the reception / bar area to my room (the hotel is deceptively large), but on the plus side it did mean it was a very quiet night and I wasn't disturbed.

Breakfast was decent and the service was good, in fact all the staff I dealt with during my stay were very polite and efficient.

Although I didn't use the facilities, the pool and spa looked very good - ideal for a lazy weekend. If you book in advance it looks like there are some very reasonable deals to be had here.

Recommended if you're looking for a business venue (or somewhere to relax at the weekend) near St. Albans and you have a car to get there.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Alessandro C, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2012

Thank you so much for the comments you submitted regarding a recent stay with us during a company event. I was pleased to read that there were some positive points about your stay, and have taken note of the not so positive ones, and would like to assure you that they will be addressed and will be raised with the relevantg departments and staff concerned.

We do hope to be able to welcome you back to Sopwell House again in the future, at which time we hope to meet all your expectations.
Alessandro Convertino

Write a ReviewReviews (2,386)

Reviewed 17 February 2012

The prices are ridiculous for the quality of service, the standard of cleanliness and general overall experience. I cannot warn people strongly enough about this. I was in a cupboard (albeit not under the stairs) near the lift which made so much noise - along with a wedding party that went on into the small hours. I realise people have to have fun - but I did not get a wink of sleep. I rang the desk at one in the morning and said something next morning but a begrudging sorry doesn't hack it at these prices.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family

Thank you for your comments posted on Trip Advisor. I was of course sorry to read that you were disappointed with your stay. I have recently been appointed by the owner in order to make some major property improvements, re-directing the staff, training etc.. I would very much like the opportunity to show you the improvements we have made, and indeed give me the pleasure to welcome you back to Sopwell House.

Reviewed 12 February 2012

Perfectly nicely fitted out rooms, but the overall hotel lacked atmosphere - hard to say why. Felt too much like a business hotel but dressed up as a country hotel.

Room Tip: Main building rooms better - others in my party said those in the annex are cold.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank spodling
Reviewed 5 February 2012

I spent 2 nights here at a conference. This is the second time I've stayed at Sopwell House for the same event and it has been lovely each time. The hotel is in the country but easy to get to by taxi from the station. It is full of football memorabilia which is fascinating and adds to the charm since it is a very old, historic building with new bits added on.

The food is excellent, both in the normal hotel and in the conference centre, and the service is friendly and professional. There is a lovely open fire in the reception area with seating round about. The bar is snug and pleasant. My colleague and zi arrived quite late the night before the event and had a very well cooked steak and nice wine in the restaurant.

My room was quite small both times I've stayed but that is fine when you aren't spending much time in it. My only gripe is that it was cold. Granted, it was exceptionally cold weather, but I normally find hotels too hot. I couldn't find any source of heat at all. I know I should have phoned to get it sorted, but it should be easy to find instructions in the room.

I'll be back!!

• Stayed: February 2012

Thank you very much for the kind comments you posted on the Trip Advisor. I am sorry that you found your room to be cold, and my team would have been delighted to have tried to sort it out for you. We look forward to welcoming you again to Sopwell as you mentioned, and endeavour to restore your confidence in us.

Reviewed 3 February 2012

Although we live locally, my husband and I stayed here on our wedding night for a treat. We arrived late to find a bottle of champagne in the room which was a very nice touch. The room was good & breakfast was excellent. Service was friendly and we were pleased with everything.

We shall return for our anniversary.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 January 2012

My partner and I stayed at Sopwell House for 2 nights in July 2011 and throughly enjoyed our time there. As is expected for the price we paid, the room was small but surprisingly had a good sized bathroom with a shower over the bath. The room was fresh and clean and featured a small window that gave glimpses of the surrounding gardens. The bed was very comfortable - just what I needed after a long flight from Australia!

The pool, spa and gym were all fantastic! The gym was well equipped and even provided iced face towels for guests - a refreshing welcome after a workout. The pool/spa was clean and lovely, and enclosed by floor to ceiling glass that overlook the beautiful gardens. Plenty of deck chairs inside and outside were provided and there was also a cute little bridge crossing over the centre of the pool.

We paid extra on our room rate to include the buffet breakfast each morning which was served in a stylish (art deco inspired) restaurant. There was sufficient choice, ranging from eggs, bacon, sausages, potatoes, etc to a selection of cereals, breads, pastries, spreads, freshly cut fruit, yoghurt and so on. Hot drinks were made to order and the waiting staff were generally prompt.

The hotel features numerous entertaining areas including two separate bar areas, two outdoor areas, and a formal lounge and library with a grand piano. There are also expansive, well maintained country gardens, which were in full bloom during our summer stay.

Well worth a visit!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 January 2012

My wife and I went here on New Years Eve for a couple of treatments and some lunch before the evenings festivities.

We were met by Anita who gave us the full rundown on everything so we knew what was going on, then we were whisked off for our treatments - massage for me, reflexology and facial for the wife.

We met up later for lunch and swapped notes, both agreeing that we were both well looked after.

The lunch was a 3 course buffet that was of a much higher quality that we expected from a £15 (with voucher from the spa).

I thoroughly recommend it for a little treat, or anything else you can think of - we'll be going back, and soon!

• Stayed: December 2011
Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Down Hall Hotel & Spa
Down Hall Hotel & Spa
#1 of 2 in Hatfield Heath

Been to Sopwell House? Share your experiences!