“Sopwell House For Business”
Review of Sopwell House

Sopwell House
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in St Albans
Croydon, United Kingdom
“Sopwell House For Business”
Reviewed 22 February 2012

I recently held a 7 person meeting using the facilities at Sopwell House and I have to say the whole experience was faultless

The meeting room was excellent, service fantastic and the food was outrageous. My delegates assumed I had spent far more than I did!

Room Tip: Stayed a few times - never a bad room
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Alessandro C, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this review, 12 March 2012
It was very much appreciated to receive your kind comments about a business meeting you held recently with us, and we are very glad that you and your delegates had an enjoyable time with us. We do of course hope that you will visit us again in the near future at which time we will be delighted to welcome you.

Alessandro Convertino

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (407)
Northampton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2012

A group of us had a wonderful overnight stay at Sopwell House. We had a day at the spa with 2 wonderful treatments, an excellent buffet lunch and an incredible 3 course meal. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The room was lovely with a beautiful view and the beds were really comfortable. The breakfast was amazing. Overall, our stay was delightful and I would highly recommend the overnight spa experience.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Nicola C
Thank you so much for the feedback on your recent stay, and I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your treatments, lunch and meal. I am of course always pleased to read that my staff have met our guests expectations and beyond, and I hope you and your friends will give us the pleasure in welcoming you back in the near future.
Stroud, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2012

Stayed here for one night due to a company event. I had a decent sized room and as a few of use were staying I managed to see some other rooms too, including a couple in the mews which were a very generous size! My bed was very comfortable and had a bathroom with a separate bath and shower (unfortunately the show was at a fixed height, which is always frustrating if you are taller than the shower). The bar area was spacious and a good place to work (earlier) and relax (later).

The biggest problem I had was the distance from the reception / bar area to my room (the hotel is deceptively large), but on the plus side it did mean it was a very quiet night and I wasn't disturbed.

Breakfast was decent and the service was good, in fact all the staff I dealt with during my stay were very polite and efficient.

Although I didn't use the facilities, the pool and spa looked very good - ideal for a lazy weekend. If you book in advance it looks like there are some very reasonable deals to be had here.

Recommended if you're looking for a business venue (or somewhere to relax at the weekend) near St. Albans and you have a car to get there.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Thank you so much for the comments you submitted regarding a recent stay with us during a company event. I was pleased to read that there were some positive points about your stay, and have taken note of the not so positive ones, and would like to assure you that they will be addressed and will be raised with the relevantg departments and staff concerned.

We do hope to be able to welcome you back to Sopwell House again in the future, at which time we hope to meet all your expectations.
Frome, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2012

The prices are ridiculous for the quality of service, the standard of cleanliness and general overall experience. I cannot warn people strongly enough about this. I was in a cupboard (albeit not under the stairs) near the lift which made so much noise - along with a wedding party that went on into the small hours. I realise people have to have fun - but I did not get a wink of sleep. I rang the desk at one in the morning and said something next morning but a begrudging sorry doesn't hack it at these prices.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
Thank you for your comments posted on Trip Advisor. I was of course sorry to read that you were disappointed with your stay. I have recently been appointed by the owner in order to make some major property improvements, re-directing the staff, training etc.. I would very much like the opportunity to show you the improvements we have made, and indeed give me the pleasure to welcome you back to Sopwell House.

spodling
Reviewed 12 February 2012

Perfectly nicely fitted out rooms, but the overall hotel lacked atmosphere - hard to say why. Felt too much like a business hotel but dressed up as a country hotel.

Room Tip: Main building rooms better - others in my party said those in the annex are cold.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank spodling
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 February 2012

I spent 2 nights here at a conference. This is the second time I've stayed at Sopwell House for the same event and it has been lovely each time. The hotel is in the country but easy to get to by taxi from the station. It is full of football memorabilia which is fascinating and adds to the charm since it is a very old, historic building with new bits added on.

The food is excellent, both in the normal hotel and in the conference centre, and the service is friendly and professional. There is a lovely open fire in the reception area with seating round about. The bar is snug and pleasant. My colleague and zi arrived quite late the night before the event and had a very well cooked steak and nice wine in the restaurant.

My room was quite small both times I've stayed but that is fine when you aren't spending much time in it. My only gripe is that it was cold. Granted, it was exceptionally cold weather, but I normally find hotels too hot. I couldn't find any source of heat at all. I know I should have phoned to get it sorted, but it should be easy to find instructions in the room.

I'll be back!!

• Stayed February 2012
Thank you very much for the kind comments you posted on the Trip Advisor. I am sorry that you found your room to be cold, and my team would have been delighted to have tried to sort it out for you. We look forward to welcoming you again to Sopwell as you mentioned, and endeavour to restore your confidence in us.

herts
Reviewed 3 February 2012

Although we live locally, my husband and I stayed here on our wedding night for a treat. We arrived late to find a bottle of champagne in the room which was a very nice touch. The room was good & breakfast was excellent. Service was friendly and we were pleased with everything.

We shall return for our anniversary.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
#5 of 10 in St Albans
Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Mercure St Albans Noke Hotel
Laura Ashley The Manor Elstree

Been to Sopwell House? Share your experiences!