“Haven”
Review of Sopwell House

Sopwell House
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in St Albans
Reviewed 12 March 2012

We stayed on a Spa package and it was wonderful. Lovely treatments, nice food, very comfortable bed and fantastic friendly staff, (especially in the Brasserie) This was our first break since my youngest son (nearly 3) was born so it was so important that it went well and we were not disappointed. They even let us check out later at no extra cost. My only tiny criticism would be that the Brasserie and Bar area's get very warm. Great if you are sitting in a dressing gown during the day but not so good at night. Felt a little uncomfortable after a while. Would that stop me from going back?...absolutely not it was just lovely.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,336)

Reviewed 4 March 2012

I have just returned from a stay at Sopwell House on their Lazy Sunday package. We had an excellent time, the newly refurbished pool is lovely and all the facilities are excellent. The Lazy Sunday package is such a great deal and the food is all superb. Would highly recommend Sopwell House and have stayed their about 4 times now and I thoroughly enjoy it every time.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Alessandro C, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2012

I would like to thank you for taking the tyime to post your nice comments on Trip Advisor. I am delighted that you enjoyed our newly refurbished pool and I do hope to welcome you back to Sopwell House in the near future.

Reviewed 4 March 2012

I have just returned from Sopwell House Country Club & Spa after a fantastic spa break to celebrate an 'important' birthday for a family member! Hotel and spa were spotlessly clean, an achievement given that it was a busy weekend (which didn't impact on our stay at all). Room had everything we wanted and the beds were too comfortable. Staff were friendly (particularly at Reception, the Brasserie and the Restaurant on Saturday night) and were happy to help if you had any extra requirements. Food was fantastic and cooked to perfection. Its just as well there was a well equipped gym and pool to burn the extra calories off! I shall be returning soon.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for your recent comments posted on Trip Advisor and I was pleased to read tha tyou and your family enjoyed the time that you spent with us. It is kind of you indeed to take the time to let us know and we look forward to welcoming you back to Sopwell House soon.

Reviewed 28 February 2012

My husband and I have just returned from Sopwell House after booking their 'Lazy Sunday' package. From check in to check out, every aspect of our stay was excellent. The staff are all polite, helpful and nothing is too much trouble. I have to eat a gluten free diet and this was catered for in each of the dining areas - in the terrace bar I enjoyed a gluten free club sandwich, and in the brasserie the chef came out to speak to me and advised me at each meal what I was able to eat. The kitchen also makes gluten free bread which was the best I have ever tasted. Our room was beautiful, clean and tidy, with the only quibble being that the heating was not working, However, after a phone call to reception they were able to move us to another room of the same standard with working heating, all at 10pm. The treatments we had in the spa were wonderful, absolutely wonderful. The pool areas and sauna/steam rooms had recently been refurbished and all the factilities were clean, and a pleasure to use.

I cannot rate Sopwell House highly enough and we are already planning a return visit!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple

I was very happy to read that you and your husband enjoyed a recent Lazy Sunday package and that met your espectations. Comments such as yours do make it all worthwhile for us, and we hope to have the great pleasure to welcome you back to Sopwell House soon.

Reviewed 22 February 2012

I recently held a 7 person meeting using the facilities at Sopwell House and I have to say the whole experience was faultless

The meeting room was excellent, service fantastic and the food was outrageous. My delegates assumed I had spent far more than I did!

Room Tip: Stayed a few times - never a bad room
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business

It was very much appreciated to receive your kind comments about a business meeting you held recently with us, and we are very glad that you and your delegates had an enjoyable time with us. We do of course hope that you will visit us again in the near future at which time we will be delighted to welcome you.

Reviewed 21 February 2012

A group of us had a wonderful overnight stay at Sopwell House. We had a day at the spa with 2 wonderful treatments, an excellent buffet lunch and an incredible 3 course meal. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The room was lovely with a beautiful view and the beds were really comfortable. The breakfast was amazing. Overall, our stay was delightful and I would highly recommend the overnight spa experience.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Nicola C

Thank you so much for the feedback on your recent stay, and I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your treatments, lunch and meal. I am of course always pleased to read that my staff have met our guests expectations and beyond, and I hope you and your friends will give us the pleasure in welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 18 February 2012

Stayed here for one night due to a company event. I had a decent sized room and as a few of use were staying I managed to see some other rooms too, including a couple in the mews which were a very generous size! My bed was very comfortable and had a bathroom with a separate bath and shower (unfortunately the show was at a fixed height, which is always frustrating if you are taller than the shower). The bar area was spacious and a good place to work (earlier) and relax (later).

The biggest problem I had was the distance from the reception / bar area to my room (the hotel is deceptively large), but on the plus side it did mean it was a very quiet night and I wasn't disturbed.

Breakfast was decent and the service was good, in fact all the staff I dealt with during my stay were very polite and efficient.

Although I didn't use the facilities, the pool and spa looked very good - ideal for a lazy weekend. If you book in advance it looks like there are some very reasonable deals to be had here.

Recommended if you're looking for a business venue (or somewhere to relax at the weekend) near St. Albans and you have a car to get there.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business

Thank you so much for the comments you submitted regarding a recent stay with us during a company event. I was pleased to read that there were some positive points about your stay, and have taken note of the not so positive ones, and would like to assure you that they will be addressed and will be raised with the relevantg departments and staff concerned.

We do hope to be able to welcome you back to Sopwell House again in the future, at which time we hope to meet all your expectations.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St Albans
Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Down Hall Hotel & Spa
Down Hall Hotel & Spa
#1 of 2 in Hatfield Heath

Been to Sopwell House? Share your experiences!